The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Just finished Stephen King’s Outsider. First King book I’ve read in about 25 years and I quite enjoyed it. I really liked it up until the
supernatural
elements started becoming apparent.

Just moved on to Thomas Harris’ Cari Mora. Seems pulpy enough for a quick bit of escapism.

Haha, to be fair, reading Ulysses is really hard and definitely takes all of someone's attention!

Yeah I got through it when I was an undergrad! Doing a history degree that involved only 12 hours in class a week definitely led to a massive increase in my reading!

Holy shit, Cari Mora was BAD. Two dimensional characters in a paper thin plot that felt like it was written for the sole purpose of being transferred to screen. I could almost see existing characters and actors reprising their former roles in it. If anyone watches Preacher, Herr Starr was perfect as the bad guy in this. Fortunately it was short.

I haven't read it yet, but I thought I'd give it a plug here anyway, because I support my friends:

My friend Kali Wallace's novel Salvation Day came out this week. It's sci-fi, and the working title for the last few years was "Ship Full O' Corpses" if that helps describe the tone. I'm still having a hard time getting through entire novels, but I will read this, even though I'm scared.

I have very cool, successful friends.
My wife really liked this book. Thanks for the heads-up!

I haven't read it yet, but I thought I'd give it a plug here anyway, because I support my friends:

My friend Kali Wallace's novel Salvation Day came out this week. It's sci-fi, and the working title for the last few years was "Ship Full O' Corpses" if that helps describe the tone. I'm still having a hard time getting through entire novels, but I will read this, even though I'm scared.

I have very cool, successful friends.
Remind me the title of the time travel novel your other friend wrote? I meant to add that one to my list, too.

I'm getting into a gothic novel swing this Fall. First up, Wuthering Heights. Next are The Monk and Turn of the Screw.

Also, I pre-ordered the audio book for The Testaments, Margaret Atwood's sequel to The Handmaid's Tale. Looks like Ann Dowd and Bryce Dallas Howard read it, I'm really excited to start.

Also, I pre-ordered the audio book for The Testaments, Margaret Atwood's sequel to The Handmaid's Tale. Looks like Ann Dowd and Bryce Dallas Howard read it, I'm really excited to start.
giphy.gif

I'm getting into a gothic novel swing this Fall. First up, Wuthering Heights. Next are The Monk and Turn of the Screw.

I remember The Monk being dark AF, really good read though. I've just moved on to Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in The Castle. I'd never heard of it tbh until it came up on a Kindle daily deal for 99p so I thought I'd give it a go and it's superb so far, a real 20th century gothic treat.

I love this genre and time period. The Monk is one of my all-time favourites, I hope you enjoy it but it does take a while to get going. If you end up in the mood for more I recommend The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe and The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole. The Castle of Otranto is considered the first gothic novel and it's neat how many elements of that novel became genre conventions.

Last edited:
Finished my first audio book yesterday. Not feeling very satisfied with the process of paying $15 for it, the catalogue/subscription model would be much nicer.

Not sure how I feel about the book itself, it's very strange but wasn't so long that that was an issue. Leaves a lot feeling unresolved which is obviously intentional, but the parts that were 'resolved' didn't speak very much to me.

Today is the release date for the English translation of the 6th & final volume of Karl Ove Knausgård's My Struggle opus. Anybody up to date on those? @Tyr ?

(P.S. I know he's controversial as a possibly shitty dude, I've just tried to avoid reading too much *about* him so that I can approach it myself without some of those preconceived notions.)

• Cheers
Reactions: Tyr
Today is the release date for the English translation of the 6th & final volume of Karl Ove Knausgård's My Struggle opus. Anybody up to date on those? @Tyr ?

(P.S. I know he's controversial as a possibly shitty dude, I've just tried to avoid reading too much *about* him so that I can approach it myself without some of those preconceived notions.)

The first installment has sat on my shelf for like 3 years. Not sure when I planned on reading it, but it'll happen at some point, right?

Back