The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I loved The Satanic Verses. I found it so funny and not at all what I expected after the hullabaloo surrounding it when I was growing up. Midnight's Children is one of those books I've always felt I should read but never got around to. It's still on my list.
Definitely read Midnight’s Children. Can’t recommend it enough.

Just had a chance to read through this thread for the first time. Great to see so many people reading so many great books. I go through peaks and troughs of reading and I'm just coming out of a 5 year long trough!

I loved The Satanic Verses. I found it so funny and not at all what I expected after the hullabaloo surrounding it when I was growing up. Midnight's Children is one of those books I've always felt I should read but never got around to. It's still on my list.
I made a bunch of progress on it this past weekend and I'm definitely coming around on it. I love the "Jahilia" chapters especially.

The e-book for Midnight’s Children is $2.99 on Apple Books right now (at least in the US, not sure if that would vary by country).

I had a quick (about 24-hour) work trip this week and took the opportunity of three pretty short flights to read Silver in the Wood by Emily Tesh. It's a short one, about 100 pages, but I loved it. Cover art is wicked, too. Hope to see more from Tesh soon!

Struggling through Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges. Not really grabbing me for some reason.
Had a short holiday last week and finished Fictions. Definitely not a commuting book, so I was probably not reading the first bits in the right frame of mind. Preferred some stories more than others, but I’ll definitely read it again.

It was mentioned here previously, but +1 for How Music Works by David Byrne being great. Strangely, I also read the Marie Kondo book...

I haven't read it yet, but I thought I'd give it a plug here anyway, because I support my friends:

My friend Kali Wallace's novel Salvation Day came out this week. It's sci-fi, and the working title for the last few years was "Ship Full O' Corpses" if that helps describe the tone. I'm still having a hard time getting through entire novels, but I will read this, even though I'm scared.

I have very cool, successful friends.

I haven't read it yet, but I thought I'd give it a plug here anyway, because I support my friends:

My friend Kali Wallace's novel Salvation Day came out this week. It's sci-fi, and the working title for the last few years was "Ship Full O' Corpses" if that helps describe the tone. I'm still having a hard time getting through entire novels, but I will read this, even though I'm scared.

Cool! I am going to order this for my wife for her bday

I read "Room to Dream," the David Lynch semi-autobiography. Loved the format of anthropological writing about his life by Kristine McKenna and then his responses to it. Was struck by how he treated women in his life. He wasn't cruel but he obviously has little use for monogamy. He just kind of moved on from every relationship with little fanfare, even if it was a marriage. That sort-of impermanence of relationships definitely shines through in his art.

Then I read "Artemis" by Andy Weir. I liked the pace and the general story. I loved "The Martian" and I though the pace of this one erased a lot of the problem solving fun of "The Martian" but was more exciting from chapter to chapter. BUT holy smokes it is full of poorly written characters, especially women. The main character was funny and somewhat interesting but the book, though written from her perspective, centered around her relationships and (pardon the word, but it applies here) usefulness to men. I liked the book, but I think it could be better.

Now starting to read through the Star Wars "new" canon books with "A New Dawn" by John Jackson Miller. So far (40 percent through) it's got too many characters to keep straight but it is entertaining. I also picked up "Evvie Drake Starts Over" by Linda Holmes, host of NPR's wonderful Pop Culture Happy Hour. But I've only read the prologue so far.

Then I read "Artemis" by Andy Weir. I liked the pace and the general story. I loved "The Martian" and I though the pace of this one erased a lot of the problem solving fun of "The Martian" but was more exciting from chapter to chapter. BUT holy smokes it is full of poorly written characters, especially women.

There were several times in Artemis where the protagonist would say something like "I can do X, because I'm a girl!" and I thought "I think the author just forgot he was writing a female character again, and had to remind himself."

There were several times in Artemis where the protagonist would say something like "I can do X, because I'm a girl!" and I thought "I think the author just forgot he was writing a female character again, and had to remind himself."
100 percent.

D6B55452-51E5-497C-8681-E8CA6C6864BC.jpeg
It came! Phew because today is my wife’s bday.

View attachment 12120
It came! Phew because today is my wife’s bday.
Wow,. just read the synopsis and this sounds great. I will see if my local book shop can get me a copy!

Just a recommendation seeing all the Mono Dylan boxes recently. If you are anywhere near a Dylan fan you should try and find yourself a copy of Chronicles, a memoir that he did talking about specific times in his career. The only bad thing about it is it left me wanting more.

I read it as well. Such a good book and felt the same way you did.
I think initially there were supposed to be three but alas only one has been released...

I read it as well. Such a good book and felt the same way you did.
I think initially there were supposed to be three but alas only one has been released...
It has been said he has either written the next one or in the process of writing it. To me, he writes books the way he writes his music which make the stories super interesting. I would like to hear stories from the times during Freewheelin, Blonde or Highway. I hope he gets the chance to finish it.

Anybody here have the new Kindle Oasis? I have a paperwhite which I love. I read a lot at night so the lighted screen is a boon and super nice on the eyes. Just wondering if the Oasis is worth the expense. I miss the physical page turn buttons the Kindle keyboards used to have too.

Anybody here have the new Kindle Oasis? I have a paperwhite which I love. I read a lot at night so the lighted screen is a boon and super nice on the eyes. Just wondering if the Oasis is worth the expense. I miss the physical page turn buttons the Kindle keyboards used to have too.
Just the paperwhite. Until it breaks, I don't think I'll upgrade.

Back