The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

With Pro-Ject, they pretty much got it right- the models that should have output jacks got them.

Maybe but I think it was more they didn't put output jacks on the entry models until after the Debut III USB came out which was barely 6 months after I got mine. Now every Pro-ject has them, I believe.

Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red / Ortofon 2M 78
Table: Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Pre: Pro-Ject "C Line" Phono Box - MM/ MC Phono Preamp
Speakers: Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers

Everything else is generic. No receiver, as I have gone straight from preamp to powered speakers.

Actually, laying things out like this makes it really clear where I can upgrade. I am considering buying a Blue needle next as it works with the Red cartridge.

Mine is definitely not the fanciest, but it's my first turntable and so far it's done a great job:

Pro-ject Primary (with the cartridge it came with, Ortofon OM5e)
Klipsch R-15PM speakers
Chromecast Audio for all non-vinyl music playing needs

Like I said, really basic, but after over a decade of computer speakers or portable bluetooth things, I'm more than happy. The speakers and turntable came in a bundle, so there's Klipsch branding on the turntable.

Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red
Table:
RPM-1 Carbon
Amp(Built-in Phono): Onkyo 708
Speakers: Tannoy 609

This is what I currently use but in storage, I have a 1-Xpression Carbon Classic with an Ortofon Silver that I got on eBay last year quite cheap from the distributor here. It has a few issues cosmetically like a banged up cover, some minor marking on the black gloss and somehow the Aluminum platter has little pinholes and scratches as if someone took to it with a steak knife.

I had been saving up for Mofi Ultradeck and had planned to sell both these tables to fund it but where I was going to get it from has decided to move the goal posts on me. When it launched here the retail on it was $2800 with no cartridge but now is at $3500 without a cartridge at that store and a couple of other places. I really don't get how a $700 increase is appropriate.

Because of this increase, I'd started looking at other tables again and the 6PerspeX SB is on sale at the moment at around $1900 at a few places which I could probably swing right now.

But man, I really want that Mofi.

Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red
Table:
RPM-1 Carbon
Amp(Built-in Phono): Onkyo 708
Speakers: Tannoy 609

This is what I currently use but in storage, I have a 1-Xpression Carbon Classic with an Ortofon Silver that I got on eBay last year quite cheap from the distributor here. It has a few issues cosmetically like a banged up cover, some minor marking on the black gloss and somehow the Aluminum platter has little pinholes and scratches as if someone took to it with a steak knife.

I had been saving up for Mofi Ultradeck and had planned to sell both these tables to fund it but where I was going to get it from has decided to move the goal posts on me. When it launched here the retail on it was $2800 with no cartridge but now is at $3500 without a cartridge at that store and a couple of other places. I really don't get how a $700 increase is appropriate.

Because of this increase, I'd started looking at other tables again and the 6PerspeX SB is on sale at the moment at around $1900 at a few places which I could probably swing right now.

But man, I really want that Mofi.

How much is a Studiodeck?

It was about $1600 when it launched here but for you, a special price, today it can be yours for $2000 without a cart. Exchange rate wise that's about the US price with the studio tracker.

There's shipping and the Australian distributor to pay. Same thing happens to Americans with Rega.

MoFi has 3 divisions here - electronics, distribution and records. I have a feeling we are getting a small break as they've got their own distribution arm.

Not sure if all Pro-Ject tables use the same ones, but has anyone else had major issues with the shitty hinge design for the dust cover of their Debut Carbon?

hinge1.jpghinge2.jpg

Its a very (too) simple design, the same screws that hold the hinge into the plinth, also clamp down on the pivoting arm. When you use the hinge, that clamping tension gradually pulls the screws out of the plinth (they are only holding in by that tiny bit of thread sticking out past the dowel/sleeve anyway), if you tighten them again, the hinge is clamped down even more, making it stiffer to use and then the problem worse. Eventually it has all become too wonky, and I can't really use the hinges at all now, the pivot arms move around in the hinge a bit and no longer line up well with the cover.

I had a quick Google and have found mention of this, but it doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. Anyone here had to deal with it? I was thinking maybe some lubrication around the arm, as even when I have the hinge taken out of the table (so no clamping on the arm at all) it still feels really tight.

I haven’t had any issue with them at all I must say although I agree the design is on the cheap side. I have heard stories of people saying they slip and it slams shut but not seen it and I can’t see how when it’s fully open as it’s at 90 degrees. Maybe people are having them at an angle? I don’t know why though? I’ve not had the problem of the hinge working it’s way out yet either but I’ll keep an eye on it!

Table: Pro-Ject Debut 3
Cartridge: Ortofon OM5e (upgrading to Ortofon 2M blue asap)
Receiver: Marantz PM-6004 Silver Gold
CD Player: Marantz CD-6004 Silver Gold
Speakers: Boston Acoustics A25

I will give a serious upgrade on this once I'll move and will have a room dedicated to books & music. Will definitely ask you all for help and recommendations ;)

Table: Pro-Ject Debut 3
Cartridge: Ortofon OM5e (upgrading to Ortofon 2M blue asap)
Receiver: Marantz PM-6004 Silver Gold
CD Player: Marantz CD-6004 Silver Gold
Speakers: Boston Acoustics A25

I will give a serious upgrade on this once I'll move and will have a room dedicated to books & music. Will definitely ask you all for help and recommendations ;)

Nice! If you don’t fancy changing the whole cartridge your OM cart is compatible with the OM 20, 30 and 40 which are all pretty well regarded styli.

Nice! If you don’t fancy changing the whole cartridge your OM cart is compatible with the OM 20, 30 and 40 which are all pretty well regarded styli.

I didn't even thought about this possibility. Thanks for the heads up (y)

Not sure if all Pro-Ject tables use the same ones, but has anyone else had major issues with the shitty hinge design for the dust cover of their Debut Carbon?

View attachment 1771View attachment 1772

Its a very (too) simple design, the same screws that hold the hinge into the plinth, also clamp down on the pivoting arm. When you use the hinge, that clamping tension gradually pulls the screws out of the plinth (they are only holding in by that tiny bit of thread sticking out past the dowel/sleeve anyway), if you tighten them again, the hinge is clamped down even more, making it stiffer to use and then the problem worse. Eventually it has all become too wonky, and I can't really use the hinges at all now, the pivot arms move around in the hinge a bit and no longer line up well with the cover.

I had a quick Google and have found mention of this, but it doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. Anyone here had to deal with it? I was thinking maybe some lubrication around the arm, as even when I have the hinge taken out of the table (so no clamping on the arm at all) it still feels really tight.
It looks like the screws were supposed to be longer, by about the length of the sleeves. You could pry the hinge apart by a millimeter or two to reduce the friction and then install the hinges with longer screws.

It looks like the screws were supposed to be longer, by about the length of the sleeves. You could pry the hinge apart by a millimeter or two to reduce the friction and then install the hinges with longer screws.

Definitely, though I'd hate to go too deep and possibly split the plinth or something haha. Interesting idea, I'm pretty sure the hinge is plastic though, I'll have to double check that when I get home.

Back