The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

My Debut Carbon was having tracking issues, so I went to reset the counterweight just as a starting measure and noticed the tonearm bearings are stiff. Anyone had experience dealing with this? I've googled it and it doesn't seem like a common issue. Stiff as in when trying to set the counterweight to a neutral position, I can lift or lower the tonearm and it will just stay where I leave it, rather than smoothly swing up and down settling into a balanced position.
How doable is it to disassemble the tonearm mount/pivot?

My Debut Carbon was having tracking issues, so I went to reset the counterweight just as a starting measure and noticed the tonearm bearings are stiff. Anyone had experience dealing with this? I've googled it and it doesn't seem like a common issue. Stiff as in when trying to set the counterweight to a neutral position, I can lift or lower the tonearm and it will just stay where I leave it, rather than smoothly swing up and down settling into a balanced position.
How doable is it to disassemble the tonearm mount/pivot?
You shouldn’t have to disassemble anything. Your bearing adjustment is on the right side of the gimbal- the silver thing.

Loosen it a wee bit. Like 1 mm. That should fix everything. Check and see if the arm feels loose or if you hear a click. If you do, it’s too loose.

I wouldn’t recommend disassembly because you are unlikely to get everything back together correctly in regards to the bearings.

It kinda just looks like the 2Xperience with a thicker plinth and uglier motor. Is this is new version?

I think the x2 was the new 2xperience. I think this is meant to be an attempt to bridge the gap between it and the 9/10/12 Xperience. It’s a lot of money for what it is (€2499 for the walnut from what I could divine, I’d guess the painted are a little less).

I think the x2 was the new 2xperience. I think this is meant to be an attempt to bridge the gap between it and the 9/10/12 Xperience. It’s a lot of money for what it is (€2499 for the walnut from what I could divine, I’d guess the painted are a little less).
It's basically a $1,000 CAD more (if I do the conversion) than the X2 so I'm good 👍 😌 😎

Yeah I mean I'm not seeing the value for money there at all.

It's basically a $1,000 CAD more than the X2 so I'm good 👍 😌 😎

I’ve no doubt from reading it that the upgrades are worthwhile but it’s just a lot of money for a table with that sort of arm on it (I’d say very similar about the 9/10/12 xperience). I’d definitely be buying something different from a different brand at that price point.

You shouldn’t have to disassemble anything. Your bearing adjustment is on the right side of the gimbal- the silver thing.

Loosen it a wee bit. Like 1 mm. That should fix everything. Check and see if the arm feels loose or if you hear a click. If you do, it’s too loose.

I wouldn’t recommend disassembly because you are unlikely to get everything back together correctly in regards to the bearings.
Thank you! This worked nicely. Strange design on that gimbal bearing, you wouldn't know there was a thread there to adjust. Very weird head too, I had to grind a custom tool to turn it. But I got there, tracking issue solved.

Looking at the new DS3 B and S3 B there are more than a few similarities to the MF phono stage I have. Perhaps Pro-Ject are learning from their range. Would make them an interesting prospect going forwards if so, I had no time for their electronics ranges before…

Looking at the new DS3 B and S3 B there are more than a few similarities to the MF phono stage I have. Perhaps Pro-Ject are learning from their range. Would make them an interesting prospect going forwards if so, I had no time for their electronics ranges before…
If you can't beat them, buy them.

This finally came in a couple days ago, and got it all installed tonight. Very easy to swap out, and a very nice solid piece of metal compared to the stock parts. Well see if I notice anything different when I spin tomorrow with the upgrade.
Hi CrazyDiamond,

Are you happy to share your thoughts on this upgrade? I'm very tempted and would be most interested in your impressions!
Many thanks

Hi CrazyDiamond,

Are you happy to share your thoughts on this upgrade? I'm very tempted and would be most interested in your impressions!
Many thanks
You know, I really wanted to share my thoughts on this after I've had it on for a bit. I just don't think I have the right ears, or the right words to explain if, and why it's any better. I will for sure update if I can, and get back to you, but I have no reason to say not to go with it if you have the funds and looking for an upgrade.

You know, I really wanted to share my thoughts on this after I've had it on for a bit. I just don't think I have the right ears, or the right words to explain if, and why it's any better. I will for sure update if I can, and get back to you, but I have no reason to say not to go with it if you have the funds and looking for an upgrade.
I think a detailed analysis of any sound differences would be wasted on me anyway! I was only trying to get some general impressions.. As it's a new releases it's difficult to find any opinions out there. I'll probably hold off for now. Thanks for your reply though.

I think a detailed analysis of any sound differences would be wasted on me anyway! I was only trying to get some general impressions.. As it's a new releases it's difficult to find any opinions out there. I'll probably hold off for now. Thanks for your reply though.

I have the one before this, it’s the same sub platter but a delrin bearing housing rather than the nice new brass one. It definitely brought more speed stability and less wow and flutter which is definitely worth the upgrade for me. I also thought it brought a bit more authority to the bass too but nothing Earth shattering there.

I have the one before this, it’s the same sub platter but a delrin bearing housing rather than the nice new brass one. It definitely brought more speed stability and less wow and flutter which is definitely worth the upgrade for me. I also thought it brought a bit more authority to the bass too but nothing Earth shattering there.
Thanks very much for sharing that. I'm definitely tempted and I do like the design and engineering that's gone into it.

Thanks very much for sharing that. I'm definitely tempted and I do like the design and engineering that's gone into it.

Yeah Lee who runs that company makes some really nice stuff. I also had him make me an isolation box for the turntable too which I absolutely love, more for how the table looks in it if truth be told but I’m also pretty confident that it’d do its job really well if need be.

Yeah Lee who runs that company makes some really nice stuff. I also had him make me an isolation box for the turntable too which I absolutely love, more for how the table looks in it if truth be told but I’m also pretty confident that it’d do its job really well if need be.
I appreciate you sharing your experience of the company. I've read only very positive reviews of some of their other products so cheers for that.

Back