The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

PXL_20220125_220420212.jpg

Just added a CD Box S2 to the Pro-Ject stack. What a little powerhouse!

Sound is fantastic, top quality discs are absolutely dynamic with plenty of depth. Certainly has some quirks (long initial read time, buttons aren't as solid and "clicky" as other Pro-Ject boxes) but overall very impressed

View attachment 126293

Just added a CD Box S2 to the Pro-Ject stack. What a little powerhouse!

Sound is fantastic, top quality discs are absolutely dynamic with plenty of depth. Certainly has some quirks (long initial read time, buttons aren't as solid and "clicky" as other Pro-Ject boxes) but overall very impressed
That looks great, love the clean uniform design of the units. It's similar style wise to my nad amp.

That looks great, love the clean uniform design of the units. It's similar style wise to my nad amp.
Yes! It's also a much easier sell to the spouse when hifi components are as nondescript as possible haha

Also if note... It doesn't play Enhanced CDs, which is a good portion of early 00s discs. Going to see if there's a firmware update

Yes! It's also a much easier sell to the spouse when hifi components are as nondescript as possible haha

Also if note... It doesn't play Enhanced CDs, which is a good portion of early 00s discs. Going to see if there's a firmware update
That's a bummer. I remember popping in my Backstreet Boys CD into my Gateway computer to soak up all the goodies that came with "Enhanced", which of course were all completely unmemorable because I can't recall a thing.

I've had my damaged Debut Carbon Esprit SB sitting in my closet for two years, I finally talked to Sumiko about servicing it and they gave me the phone number of a local-ish (30 miles away) shop that they recommend. In talking to the support representative online at Sumiko they said they think it's "a possible issue with the motor control board" - basically the turntable was spinning very slow, both at 33 and 45 rpm.

I talked to the repair shop today and they said it's $175 non refundable fee to give an estimate (that amount would go towards any possible repair and if repair cost was below that I'd get a partial refund) I'm torn on what to do - I don't have space for a second turntable but imagine I could have this as a backup to my Fluance RT-85. Or I could sell it. I dunno. Thoughts?

I've had my damaged Debut Carbon Esprit SB sitting in my closet for two years, I finally talked to Sumiko about servicing it and they gave me the phone number of a local-ish (30 miles away) shop that they recommend. In talking to the support representative online at Sumiko they said they think it's "a possible issue with the motor control board" - basically the turntable was spinning very slow, both at 33 and 45 rpm.

I talked to the repair shop today and they said it's $175 non refundable fee to give an estimate (that amount would go towards any possible repair and if repair cost was below that I'd get a partial refund) I'm torn on what to do - I don't have space for a second turntable but imagine I could have this as a backup to my Fluance RT-85. Or I could sell it. I dunno. Thoughts?
Ha, your situation sounds remarkably similar to mine, except you already bought a new table and I'm using my old man's for now.

I had the same issue -- motor was spinning incredibly slow for no apparent reason. Sometimes it played through a full side before slowing, sometimes a song, sometimes it was immediate. I spent a good chunk of change on replacing the motor in my Debut Carbon last summer. First couple months afterward, (basically) no issues. And then the same problem returned. Very frustrating!

I called the shop, and they figured if not the motor, it would likely be the control board. Since it died so quickly after the repair, they can comp the motor and apply what I've already spent to replacing the control board. I brought it in three weeks ago and haven't heard anything since. I guess they might be waiting on a part, but whatever. Depending on the additional cost they quote me, I'm either going to try one more time or say fuck it. It was about a $500 table when I bought it; I'm not putting another hundred or two into repairs.

For you, I'd go through a similar exercise. How much value would it be to you as a back-up? How likely would you be to ever need it? And finally, most importantly, how much do you think you could get selling it? It's been in a closet for two years, not sure how long you had it before then. Is that amount, minus $175, worth it, to sell a possibly/hopefully fixed turntable? I have to say I doubt it, but I might be jaded by now.

Ha, your situation sounds remarkably similar to mine, except you already bought a new table and I'm using my old man's for now.

I had the same issue -- motor was spinning incredibly slow for no apparent reason. Sometimes it played through a full side before slowing, sometimes a song, sometimes it was immediate. I spent a good chunk of change on replacing the motor in my Debut Carbon last summer. First couple months afterward, (basically) no issues. And then the same problem returned. Very frustrating!

I called the shop, and they figured if not the motor, it would likely be the control board. Since it died so quickly after the repair, they can comp the motor and apply what I've already spent to replacing the control board. I brought it in three weeks ago and haven't heard anything since. I guess they might be waiting on a part, but whatever. Depending on the additional cost they quote me, I'm either going to try one more time or say fuck it. It was about a $500 table when I bought it; I'm not putting another hundred or two into repairs.

For you, I'd go through a similar exercise. How much value would it be to you as a back-up? How likely would you be to ever need it? And finally, most importantly, how much do you think you could get selling it? It's been in a closet for two years, not sure how long you had it before then. Is that amount, minus $175, worth it, to sell a possibly/hopefully fixed turntable? I have to say I doubt it, but I might be jaded by now.
Yeah, I'm torn on what to do. For now it's just a giant paper weight taking up half of my closet!

This makes so much sense to me.

Also, $175 to diagnose the problem seems really steep to me. I get they want to guarantee that you use them to fix it, but that makes this a really tough decision.

Yup, it sucks! Out of curiosity, do you prefer your new Fluance or the Debut, when it was working?
It's been a while but I think I prefer the Fluance. Definitely a better stick cartridge (ortofon blue vs red) and doesn't have the Pro-ject issue of just randomly spinning sometimes on its own.
This makes so much sense to me.

Also, $175 to diagnose the problem seems really steep to me. I get they want to guarantee that you use them to fix it, but that makes this a really tough decision.
Yeah, if I knew it was a $50-$100 repair it would be a much easier decision. If he gets my $175 then says oh it'll be another hundred then I'll be pretty upset. TBF, it's a reputable shop so don't think the diagnose fee is a scam or anything, just makes the decision harder.

Just got a call from the shop and they said in three hours of testing they weren't able to reproduce the issue. 🙃

Back