The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

Apparently it depends on the type of bearing? I dunno, I know nothing about any of this stuff.
Because of the type of bearing it does sit in an oil bath as such so it does need oil rather than grease but I don’t have a clue what’s in the lubricant project sell to suggest an alternative and I’m finding it hard to find very much info online.

Uh. So, I think the damping fluid has fallen out of the tone arm dropper on my RPM Carbon. I'm fine doing it manually but does anyone have an idea about fixing it? And I swear the stuff was leaking out not long after I got it, but it's only been the past couple of months that it's just not lowered the tonearm carefully.

Because of the type of bearing it does sit in an oil bath as such so it does need oil rather than grease but I don’t have a clue what’s in the lubricant project sell to suggest an alternative and I’m finding it hard to find very much info online.
Yeah, I can't find any details at all. A lot of people online seem to recommend sewing machine oil as well (not just for Pro-Jects).

Pro-ject are still showing it as a current model but most of the main dealers of theirs that I use don’t seem to be carrying it either.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing, too. Hopefully they'll keep producing and the great Pro-Ject expansion into optical discs isn't at an end! Maybe there's a new model coming...

A victim of chip shortages? CD players are hard to get right now regardless of brand.

That's a real good point, actually

Not sure if this has been touched on, but I’ve heard Pro-ject is bumping up prices in all of their TTs starting at the end of this month (and possibly next week according to this). The Project Debut Carbon Evo is going from $499 -> $599 without any changes, and that will likely follow up the chain. It’s pretty significant given the fact that when I bought my standard Debut Carbon two years ago it was $399.

I was in the market for a new mid-range TT for the living room and decided to pull the trigger on an open box EVO from MD before the increase. I’m assuming this will impact pricing of TTs across the board.

Just a heads up for anyone that may have been looking!

Not sure if this has been touched on, but I’ve heard Pro-ject is bumping up prices in all of their TTs starting at the end of this month (and possibly next week according to this). The Project Debut Carbon Evo is going from $499 -> $599 without any changes, and that will likely follow up the chain. It’s pretty significant given the fact that when I bought my standard Debut Carbon two years ago it was $399.

I was in the market for a new mid-range TT for the living room and decided to pull the trigger on an open box EVO from MD before the increase. I’m assuming this will impact pricing of TTs across the board.

I’m not surprised. All audio gear is going up in price across the spectrum due to covid knock on price increases in parts and container transport.

I think the EVO as an idea is a bit above the old DC. It has the speed change like the old Esprit SB, but not the acrylic platter, so I’d kind of expect it to be price nearer it that the old DC.

Last edited:

Dang. My first non-automatic TT was a Debut III I bought for $275 new, seems like the days of that much bang for your buck are gone.

Honestly the debut Pro is tempting as an upgrade from a U-turn but I dunno if it's really an upgrade and just continue just saving up for the mofi in 2022

Honestly the debut Pro is tempting as an upgrade from a U-turn but I dunno if it's really an upgrade and just continue just saving up for the mofi in 2022
I would save for the mofi. Pro-ject’s product line is all very similar, using a lot of the same tech up the line. The Debut Pro is not enough of an upgraded to see a huge difference.

Last edited:
I would safe for the mofi. Pro-ject’s product line is all very similar, using a lot of the same tech up the line. The Debut Pro is not enough of an upgraded to see a huge difference.
True.. my only real thing that was really "ok that would be an improvement" is the fact of that the pro has a switch for speed.. keep in mind it could just be the mediocre implementation U-turn has

Looks like the Evo with a speed box, upgraded feet, and VTA adjustment. Same arm, same platter…. for a thousand bucks?? Grab the StudioDeck, @duke86fan. You could snag an open box for not much more.

The evo has a speed box it is just not apparent from pictures because it’s a rocker switch underneath the platter. The pro has a few other upgrades too over the evo but I agree it’s steep for a grand. I’d probably go technics myself at that price point but then Ive never taken to that Mofi at all, it just looks wrong to me 😂

Last edited:

Darko likes the new Pro-Ject over his Technics 1210GR… didn’t see that coming

I like Darko and don't think he is a huge Schill like some others. But his musical taste's are more electronic and techno. I think you will have the Technics (if they ever make it out again or you get a 1500C) or a VPI the rest of your Life C. Just sayin'

The evo has a speed box it is just not apparent from pictures because it’s a rocker switch underneath the platter. The pro has a few other upgrades too over the evo but I agree it’s steep for a grand. I’d probably go technics myself at that price point but then Ive never taken to that Mofi at all, it just looks wrong to me 😂
You and my girlfriend would agree! She won’t go for a MoFi in the living room. It is a bit Darth Vader esque with the huge dust cover! 😂

Back