Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

imajindat

I just wanted to share some of my experiences with cartridges and also get some thoughts from everyone on what their favorite and least favorite phono cartridges have been. I'm currently looking to replace a Denon DL-110 on my second TT (stylus broken by my son, secure your stuff if you have kids!!! lol), gonna take my time and put some more thought into the replacement.

Favorites
  • Dynavector 10x5 (with Soundsmith sapphire/contact line retip): I had a 10x5 years ago and didn't really enjoy the sound (was a little mellow for me) especially given the pricepoint. Earlier this year I bought a broken 10x5 for about $70 and had it retipped for $300 by Soundsmith, and its like night and day. Definitely my fav cart I've ever had and great value considering it was about half the price of a new 10x5.
  • Audio Technica AT-440mlb: I hate sibilance and this was the first cart I ever got that never had sibilance issues. The Microline stylus will track anything. I would agree with many that it is a little on the bright side, but that worked out well for me because I prefer emphasis on treble (sounds more "detailed").
  • Denon DL-110: Great value if you can find one for <$150. Does everything well if not great. To me it has a "full" sound and just makes everything pleasing to listen too. Although it's always a pain in the ass for me to mount this, not sure if anyone else has issues.
  • Stanton 680EE: This is a good bang for the buck cartridge, you can probably find one for about $60-70 on ebay. Pair it with an EVG 4606-DEX aftermarket stylus and it plays pretty well, a nice balanced sound for cheap.
  • Audio Technica AT-MONO3/LP (Mono cartridge): This is a true mono cart and can really bring out the benefits of using a mono cart on old records (I find that it's not much of a difference with newer, clean mono LPs like the Beatles mono reissues). I got mine about 4 years ago, at the time it was good price wise(around $110), but prices have gone up close to $200 now. I'd be interested to compare to an Ortofon 2m Mono but don't want to pay $300 to find out!

Least Favorites
  • Denon DL-103 and DL-103R: I tried both of these when I decided to give LOMC a shot. I know many attest to their greatness but I hated both. I had them mounted on a Rega P3-24, so maybe it was my TT. I've read conflicting info about whether you need a high mass tonearm to use these, some say yes others say no, can't really trust any forum responses on the internet lol. In any case, I tried both with a SUT and my Studiphono, didn't like the sound of either. Just a really dull sound.
  • Denon DL-102 (mono cart): Same feedback as above, just that it is HOMC and is mono.
  • Ortofon 2m Red: I found playback to be shrill on everything, just not pleasant listening. I am however a fan of how easy it is to mount

I just wanted to share some of my experiences with cartridges and also get some thoughts from everyone on what their favorite and least favorite phono cartridges have been. I'm currently looking to replace a Denon DL-110 on my second TT (stylus broken by my son, secure your stuff if you have kids!!! lol), gonna take my time and put some more thought into the replacement.

Favorites
  • Dynavector 10x5 (with Soundsmith sapphire/contact line retip): I had a 10x5 years ago and didn't really enjoy the sound (was a little mellow for me) especially given the pricepoint. Earlier this year I bought a broken 10x5 for about $70 and had it retipped for $300 by Soundsmith, and its like night and day. Definitely my fav cart I've ever had and great value considering it was about half the price of a new 10x5.
  • Audio Technica AT-440mlb: I hate sibilance and this was the first cart I ever got that never had sibilance issues. The Microline stylus will track anything. I would agree with many that it is a little on the bright side, but that worked out well for me because I prefer emphasis on treble (sounds more "detailed").
  • Denon DL-110: Great value if you can find one for <$150. Does everything well if not great. To me it has a "full" sound and just makes everything pleasing to listen too. Although it's always a pain in the ass for me to mount this, not sure if anyone else has issues.
  • Stanton 680EE: This is a good bang for the buck cartridge, you can probably find one for about $60-70 on ebay. Pair it with an EVG 4606-DEX aftermarket stylus and it plays pretty well, a nice balanced sound for cheap.
  • Audio Technica AT-MONO3/LP (Mono cartridge): This is a true mono cart and can really bring out the benefits of using a mono cart on old records (I find that it's not much of a difference with newer, clean mono LPs like the Beatles mono reissues). I got mine about 4 years ago, at the time it was a great value (around $110), but prices have gone up close to $200 now. I'd be interested to compare to an Ortofon 2m Mono but don't want to pay $300 to find out!

Least Favorites
  • Denon DL-103 and DL-103R: I tried both of these when I decided to give LOMC a shot. I know many attest to their greatness but I hated both. I had them mounted on a Rega P3-24, so maybe it was my TT. I've read conflicting info about whether you need a high mass tonearm to use these, some say yes others say no, can't really trust any forum responses on the internet lol. In any case, I tried both with a SUT and my Studiphono, didn't like the sound of either. Just a really dull sound.
  • Denon DL-102 (mono cart): Same feedback as above, just that it is HOMC and is mono.
  • Ortofon 2m Red: I found playback to be shrill on everything, just not pleasant listening. I am however a fan of how easy it is to mount
Nice list. I’ve had the Dynavrctor DV-10x4 which I liked a lot. I’d also agree on the Denon DL-110 which I’ve owned and the Ortofon 2m Red which I’ve heard. Nasty thing that Ortofon.

The Denon DL-103 and 103R really benefit from much higher mass arms than the Regas.

I’ve been a big Grado fan for years. They really are a great value as they sound far more expensive than they are. They also excel in regards to tone.

I wish I had more detailed recollection of the various carts I've used over the past few years, but the only one I can recall being actively dissatisfied with was the 2M Red. The inner groove distortion was just too much.

I liked my 2M Bronze, divisive though it is. It worked well in my system at the time, though I was also using a Marantz AVR with room correction that probably sanded off some of the cart's rougher edges. It is still the best-tracking cart I've used.

The only two carts I've used since I've gone fully analog are:

MoFi MasterTracker: Just a confident, detailed performer. Well rounded, neutral.

SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES: Same, but more so. Smooth, but wonderfully detailed. Lower surface noise than the MasterTracker. Can be somewhat unforgiving of poor pressings, but is never shrill or cruel. I'm completely happy with it.

I've also got a mint Shure V15 Type III around that I've considered purchasing a new stylus for, but mounting new carts is such a hassle.

Nice list. I’ve had the Dyvavector DV-10x4 which I liked a lot. I’d also agree on the Denon DL-110 which I’ve owned and the Ortofon 2m Red which I’ve heard. Nasty thing that Ortofon.

The Denon DL-103 and 103R really benefit from much higher mass arms than the Regas.

I’ve been a big Grado fan for years. They really are a great value as they sound far more expensive than they are. They also excel in regards to tone.

Which Grado would you recommend in the <$200 range, either used or new?

I've only used a grado black so far, it's fine but I think it is a bad pairing with the sennheisers I use (they are basically cheaper 660S and thus accentuate the bass too much). Its interesting that grado headphones are more trebel and mid heavy and the grado cartridges are more bassy then other audiophile brands. I plan to move to an ortofon blue because it seems to tick what I like (lots of mids, somewhat bright, decent bass), but also the other variable is I plan on buying some grado headphones in the future so I can keep people updated

Oooooh I did a run through my cartridges in another thread a few days ago so I'll do it again here!

Ortofon 2M Red
Running directly into the phono stage built into a Sony Integrated Stereo amplifier from 2004.
Came pre-mounted on my table. Knew no better. Everything I've heard since makes me know its utter trash.

Stylus Swap - 2M Blue
Miles more detail. Wider soundstage. All around a really good cartridge.
Upgraded phono to a Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL. Still into the Sony Inegrated but now obviously using a standard line level input.
Oh wow. The cartridge really is quite good Big old wide soundstage and lots of detail.
Upgraded from Sony Integrated to a PS Audio Stellar GCD as a preamp and a pair of Quad QII Forty mono blocks as power amplifiers.
Oh dear. Even more detail has made me like this cartridge less. It doesn't handle highs the way I like at all.

Cartridge Swap - Grado Gold2
Beautiful tonally and a much more balanced sound. Doesn't tend to shrill on the highs like I felt the 2M blue was doing since the last equipment upgrade.
Slightly narrower soundstage and a less detail retrieval that the 2M blue on the flip side.

Stylus Swap - 8MZ
Same beautiful tone. All the detail and soundstage lost from the blue is back in place.

Cartridge Swap - Grado Opus3 Low Output
Oh wow we've found a winner. Everything good about the Gold2 + 8MZ stylus but better. I've found "my cartridge" for as long as they keep making them!

I’ve only owned 3 carts since 2011. I’m not counting the stock cart on the AT LP60.
So for me, every cart has been a step up.

AT 95e: This was a good budget cart but I found the tracking to be too sensitive on my table.

Ortofon 2M Red: Enough has been said about this one 😁

Nagaoka MP 110: I love this cart! I know there are better options and I will explore them when I upgrade my table, but for now, this is my jam.

it seems like people dont like ortofon cartridges there

the grado black i have just is too much and feels unintersting, nagaoka it tempting but im scared of trying to attach it on and doing the antiskate and tracking force, and i dunno if my tonearm can do moving coil or complicated cartridges.. i just want reliable and respected

the grado black i have just is too much and feels unintersting, nagaoka it tempting but im scared of trying to attach it on and doing the antiskate and tracking force, and i dunno if my tonearm can do moving coil or complicated cartridges.. i just want reliable and respected

Not all. I will concede that the blue is a very good cartridge for its money. I just prefer the Grado gold at that price point, particularly with an 8mz stylus.

Not all. I will concede that the blue is a very good cartridge for its money. I just prefer the Grado gold at that price point, particularly with an 8mz stylus.
I thought about the blue, but got Grado Gold fever and had to itch.

The Grado Black is on a similar level to the Ortofon 2m Red, even though I've heard better things about it than the red. There's two more Grado carts between the Black and the Gold (Green/Silver). From what I've read, the Gold, the 2m Blue, the Nagaoka models and the AT-VM95ML would meet your needs. I'd pick one and try it for a year. You can always change up your sound later.

If there is a better cartridge under £1,000 I have yet to hear it;

IMG20201119191435.jpg

It presents some... interesting... measurements and the man who makes it is demonstrably insane but it is a truly outstanding device.

And the worst. Well;

Denon DL-103 and DL-103R: I tried both of these when I decided to give LOMC a shot. I know many attest to their greatness but I hated both. I had them mounted on a Rega P3-24, so maybe it was my TT. I've read conflicting info about whether you need a high mass tonearm to use these, some say yes others say no, can't really trust any forum responses on the internet lol. In any case, I tried both with a SUT and my Studiphono, didn't like the sound of either. Just a really dull sound.

This is a pretty good place to start. Yes, they sound a bit better when you pander to their every need but the return on the effort invested is simply not worth the bother. Every other cartridge has demonstrated a star turn in some area- even if quite specific. The DL103 has never done this. It also has insufferable fanboys.

View attachment 75493

It presents some... interesting... measurements and the man who makes it is demonstrably insane but it is a truly outstanding device.

And the worst. Well;

This is a pretty good place to start. Yes, they sound a bit better when you pander to their every need but the return on the effort invested is simply not worth the bother. Every other cartridge has demonstrated a star turn in some area- even if quite specific. The DL103 has never done this. It also has insufferable fanboys.
The VDH is $1327 here. There are lots of options at that price point. Good info though- this one flies under the radar.

View attachment 75493

And the worst. Well;

Totally agree about VDH going under the radar here. I saw they were in the new Music Direct catalog, which I don't recall MD carrying their stuff before. My Rosso's also are said to have VDH wiring on the interior. Makes me curious if some VDH cables might expand some synergy.

But that's a big endorsement from you @Ed Selley. I know you get to have your hands on a lot more cartridges than the average person. Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 75493

And the worst. Well;

Wow that's a badass cart! Maybe I'll get one when I move up to a big boy turntable lol.

I'm glad it wasn't just me with the DL-103 and 103R. I read in alot of places that they were the best thing since sliced bread and air fryers. Ended up getting the 103 then the 103R and running it with just my Studiphono and hating it, then being told I needed a SUT so I dropped $350 on one and it sounded just as bad. Then I was told I needed a TT with a heavier arm which would be even more $$$$$. So basically I spent $550+ to hate a cartridge when I coulda just got something unquestionably great to begin with in that price range. Never again! The only consolation was that I was able to sell both carts for more than I paid since I bought them used for good deals.

Back