The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

Okay technical people, I'm still trying to lock down whether or not I have an alignment issue with my cart. I've been getting hits of left channel distortion on various discs from time to time. Now they do mainly seem to be VMP pressings that are affected so... you know... maybe that's it. But everything appears to be in alignment, anti skate adjustments do nothing, tracking force adjustments do nothing. In terms of the Azimuth, do you guys know if left channel noise would be more likely to be caused by the needle being aimed out towards the outside of the record, or in towards the label? I think the inner groove is actually the left channel? I think? So I was thinking perhaps the needle needs to come out a touch towards the outer groove.

Or its just shitty VMP pressings and everything is fine..

Okay technical people, I'm still trying to lock down whether or not I have an alignment issue with my cart. I've been getting hits of left channel distortion on various discs from time to time. Now they do mainly seem to be VMP pressings that are affected so... you know... maybe that's it. But everything appears to be in alignment, anti skate adjustments do nothing, tracking force adjustments do nothing. In terms of the Azimuth, do you guys know if left channel noise would be more likely to be caused by the needle being aimed out towards the outside of the record, or in towards the label? I think the inner groove is actually the left channel? I think? So I was thinking perhaps the needle needs to come out a touch towards the outer groove.

Or its just shitty VMP pressings and everything is fine..

Its 90% likely VMP are shit and your sensitive soul of a cartridge doesn’t hide that.

But you can use something like this and a beater record to check and put your mind at rest.

Amazon product ASIN B07794JXYZ

I mean if the needle is straight why ever would you think it was azimuth that was the problem?
Because I honestly can't come up with anything else that would specifically cause left channel distortion. The gunk on the needle apparently isn't enough to cause it. Everything else seems dialed in...

You actually look like you are a wee bit down on the right. The smallest amount- like .5 mm. Shibatas are a bitch to set up.
I thought that as well, but the actual stylus appears straight in the reflection so I figured that the cart didn't actually matter?

Is there a way to level the tonearm on my pro-ject? I'm now noticing some distortion on some albums, so I'm going through and checking anything I can think of. Looks like the tonearm is way off level. Also when I'm measuring with my protracter, when on the outside, the needle doesn't touch, but touches all the way down as I get closer to the inside of the platter...
20210128_171220.jpg20210128_171454.jpg20210128_171516.jpg
Picture 2, needle is hovering, Pic 3 it's touching

Is there a way to level the tonearm on my pro-ject? I'm now noticing some distortion on some albums, so I'm going through and checking anything I can think of. Looks like the tonearm is way off level. Also when I'm measuring with my protracter, when on the outside, the needle doesn't touch, but touches all the way down as I get closer to the inside of the platter...
View attachment 85753View attachment 85754View attachment 85755
Picture 2, needle is hovering, Pic 3 it's touching
Which model?

Yes you can adjust the azimuth on that one. I have the same table and it’s in the manual. I haven’t had to do it though becuse I haven’t had that problem sorry!

Back