The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

2/10/23
714ecd2d9aaa3f6a63e465e42b63b327a3b1b9bd

Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow

Allmusic Review:

HOLY FUCK!

This is WILD!

200w (3).gif

Checking it out now, before the wife gets home from work and before the 5-year-old goes to bed - I'm very curious what he's gonna think.
I remember a bunch of folk getting Hypermagic Mountain, which is the main LB album I know, when they ordered TNT by Tortoise for the AoTM a while ago. Slightly different vibe...

2/10/23
714ecd2d9aaa3f6a63e465e42b63b327a3b1b9bd

Allmusic Review:

I was taking acid fairly frequently when I got into Lightning Bolt. Great albums to trip to, and still great with a straight head. Either way this is what good noise rock can be and I still love it. Bit of a mind warp to think this came out 20 years ago!
4.5/5

I like that the vocals are buried a bit in the mix, they become an instrument in themselves, too far forward, and you start to listen to them and I don't think that is what is intended, they are not words, they are noises.

There really are some beautiful melodies here, buried beneath the fuzz!

Wonderful Rainbow is such a beautifully well-timed respite from all the chaos that came before it, and now we're off again, fully rested.

Well, that was lovely. It did get a little samey towards the end and my ears were glad when it ended, but I liked that a lot.

3 / 5 stars.

list 1
1. 1/20/2023 Artic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (3.79 stars)
RIYL Playlist
2. 1/23/2023 A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (3.69 stars)
RIYL Playlist
3. 1/24/2023 Miriam Makeba - Mariam Makeba (3.13 stars)
RIYL Playlist
4. 1/25/2023 Wire - Pink Flag (3.19 stars)
RIYL Playlist
5. 1/26/2023 Bob Marley & the Wailers - Exodus (3.93 stars)
RIYL Playlist
6. 1/27/2023 Nick Drake - Pink Moon (3.66 stars)
RIYL Playlist
7. 1/30/2023 The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (3.62 stars)
RIYL Playlist
8. 1/31/2023 Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid (3.55 stars)
RIYL Playlist
9. 2/1/2023 Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets (3.08 stars)
RIYL Playlist
10. 2/2/2023 Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (3.85 stars)
RIYL Playlist
11. 2/3/2023 Little Richard - Here's Little Richard (3.64 stars)
RIYL Playlist
12. 2/6/2023 Songhoy Blues - Music in Exile
RIYL Playlist
13. 2/7/2023 Fiona Apple - Tidal
RIYL Playlist
14. 2/8/2023 Leftfield - Leftism
RIYL Playlist
15. 2/9/2023 Love - Forever Changes
RIYL Playlist
16. 2/10/2023 Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow
RIYL Playlist
17. 2/13/2023 Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
RIYL Playlist

Aggregate scores will be added the friday following the end of that week (For Example, AM was the the pick on 1/20, its score will be added on 1/27). Aggregate score will only include ratings posted on the group site.

All playlists are collaborative, feel free to add music you think would be liked by those that like the album.
Everything changed! Some of y'all have been at work rating things!

I feel like the Dylan is a starter pack album right. Like it has to be here along with Sgt Peppers and Dark Side and Kind of Blue. It'd be interesting to see what the site came up with if we did a list of albums you have to listen to and it might be something I'm up for when we finish this in 2027

I feel like the Dylan is a starter pack album right. Like it has to be here along with Sgt Peppers and Dark Side and Kind of Blue. It'd be interesting to see what the site came up with if we did a list of albums you have to listen to and it might be something I'm up for when we finish this in 2027
Dylan almost has too many definitive albums. I think Greatest Hits was the Dylan album everybody had in their CD cases in High School.

Dylan almost has too many definitive albums. I think Greatest Hits was the Dylan album everybody had in their CD cases in High School.
I didn't get into Dylan until college. Went to see him I guess my Junior year in Tenessee. Bought Freewheelin' a couple of weeks before the show so I would know something. That was a useless purchase to the intended endeavor. About the time I realized what song Tangled Up in Blue was that evening, I was a fan forever more.

2/13/2023
4475b6e95cd5c153cf89f49daa3a85b939359690

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Allmusic Review:

What can I say about this here that haven't already been said elsewhere before a million times, and way more eloquently than what I can formulate?

I can say that the title track is my favourite Dylan song, and has been ever since I analysed the lyrics for a literature assignment way back in high school.

It's also interesting that I've been redefining and revising Dylans career throughout my entire life thanks to the Bootleg series, a myriad of documentaries and reissues and rediscoveries of his catalog ("hm, Empire Burlesque isn't THAT bad", "Street Legal could be his best 70s album"), but every time I play this, pretty much all the rest just diminishes. It's monumental. And I never seem to grow tired of hearing him spinning his bonkers metaphors and phrases, sending up and ridiculing religious rituals, stale values and the myth of America, to the sound of some of the most raw and brilliant folk- and bluesrock ever etched onto vinyl. It's still his best album, in my humble opinion. Yeah, his run from 63-66 is pretty much flawless, and Blood on the Tracks is what it is, but this is and have always been his crown jewel. And it will probably never feel old or anything less than a masterpiece.

Score 5/5 (duh!)

Last edited:
I always thought I hated the sound of his voice, but DeAgostini did a collection a few years ago, and £16 for a new record now and then seemed like a good deal, even if it was only Dylan! Well, the first three records kinda blew me away, and I was surprised that I actually grew to like his voice. This record was a few more weeks into the series and I couldn't really afford to keep up with it, so I'll have to stream it, but I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
As with @Lee Newman , I didn't get into Dylan until college. It was the 2003 RS best album list that really got me motivated to dive into some of the classic albums. I think this was in the top 5 so it was where I started. It was love on first listen. Lucky for me pretty much his whole catalog got released on SACD that same year, so I bought them all up and he quickly flew to the top of my favorite artists.

Just have to highlight the bonkers (but brilliant) lyrics. This is a favourite:

"Now, you see this one-eyed midget shouting the word "Now"
And you say, "For what reason?" and he says, "How"
And you say, "What does this mean?" and he screams back, "You're a cow!
Give me some milk or else go home"
And you know something's happening but you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?"

Damn right, mr Zimmerman, I have no idea what's going on here. Does anyone? :cool:

Just have to highlight the bonkers (but brilliant) lyrics. This is a favourite:

"Now, you see this one-eyed midget shouting the word "Now"
And you say, "For what reason?" and he says, "How"
And you say, "What does this mean?" and he screams back, "You're a cow!
Give me some milk or else go home"
And you know something's happening but you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?"

Damn right, mr Zimmerman, I have no idea what's going on here. Does anyone? :cool:
Drugs!

Back