The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Speaking of "Scenario"

One of the greatest posse cuts of all time. Point blank. And opened up our world to peak Busta Rhymes who would leave Leaders of the New School behind and own a large portion of our ears, hearts and minds for the back half of the 90s.

"RAWR, RAWR! Like a dungeon dragon" indeed!

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

I have heard of A Tribe Called Quest and I have heard of this album, although I think I may associate it with another band maybe? I thought I might recognize some songs, even a few snippets but no, first play through for me in the end, never heard it before!

Nice flow, good beats and bass lines - sounds like a double bass on a lot of tracks. Samples are good throughout. Each member plays really well off the other, excellent lyrically.

Fuck what you heard.

4 stars!

Low End Theory is a masterpiece that was somehow topped by Midnight Marauders, Beats, Rhymes & Life didn't stand a chance!

People were let down by it but still rocked it because it was Tribe. I don't know anyone at the time that liked The Love Movement, it's an album by a group that was over it and knew they were breaking up that completely changed their formula and brought in an outside producer that "ruined" Tribe. People were straight shitting on Dilla back then but Tip saw something people eventually did as well, it just took a few years for everyone to catch up!

I've never been a big Dilla fan but know people that rode for him when he was still in Slum Village, it just took me a while to get used to his style, I never fully got there but I do like Donuts and that Jaylib shit.

All that being said I feel like going back to listen to The Love Movement again, it's been forever since I last tried, there's just a lot attached to it, Tribe was one of, if not my favorite, groups of all time and I knew listening back then it was the end so it really sucks that I still feel that way anytime it's brought up. Oh that comeback record is legit and I wish Phife was still around because one, he passed away at far too young an age and two, selfishly I wanted more Tribe!

I am very much a hip-hop newbie (especially since I was a whole 2 years old when this album came out) so I am not very good yet at articulating what I like about different albums. I am really enjoying this one though, I recognized a few of the songs so I must have heard them I passing. I think my favorite part is the jazzy instrumentation behind a lot of the songs, especially the bass.

Not familiar with this one but my fave Miriam Makeba song is “Pata Pata”

I'm completely unfamiliar with her. Excited because she is South African and a protégé of Harry Belafonte. The RIYL will be something I listen to tomorrow. Would like to be weak and do it instead of my weekly playlist tonight!

This album is beautiful. I hope I get a chance to listen to it tomorrow outside of work. I can't really talk about it intelligently while listening at work.

Reading up on her is a great idea. She was the first African Musician to win a grammy for the 1965 album An Evening with Belafonte/Makeba. She was an activist against apartheid and was eventually exiled from her home country. She was married to Hugh Masekela. She is also a featured musician on Paul Simon's Graceland (which is incidentally my personal project ROTD)

Back