The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

1/26/2023
View attachment 165108
Bob Marley & the Wailers - Exodus

Allmusic review:

I was so burnt out on the rich kid pseudo-hippies smoking weed like they'd discovered God in Boulder and blasting Legend on repeat that it took me a very long time before I listened to Marley with any appreciation. I just wanted to smoke weed and take acid and listen to Jerry and they harshed my buzz with their college know-it-all hippie stuck up attitudes. There was no peace and love, just judgement and bad smells. So Marley came to be associated with that and it was hard to shake. Going through his discography and ignoring the hits made me like him much more than I would have otherwise. I'm still not usually going to reach for most reggae albums, but there are a few albums in the genre that I find excellent listens and Exodus is one of them. 4/5.

#5 - Bob Marley - Exodus

Another album I'm very familiar with and have regularly listened to since college. It's not my favorite Marley album as I prefer the fiery older material (Burnin'/Natty Dread), but there's some absolute classics on here and the album as a whole is never less than very good. I prefer the "romantic" side to the "religious" side for sure as I think all of side B is the highlight here for me. I'd give Side A a 4.0 and Side B a 5.0, so that naturally leads to:

Rating - 4.5/5

My thoughts on "Exodus":

It's the album I often see cited as Bob Marley's definitive studio album and for good reason, as it showcases his militant/political and mellow/romantic sides in equal measure. It's not my favourite Marley album though, "Kaya" probably takes that (of all albums, amirite?). 4/5
favs: The Heathen, Jamming, Waiting in Vain, Three Little Birds
least fav: Guiltiness (if I had to pick one)

On Exodus:

I haven't listened to this all the way through in years. Appreciate the prominence of the bass in the mix and how its treated as a lead instrument. Exodus itself is a great track with the syncopation and horns that provide great musical accompaniment to the message of the song. And I'm a sucker for a People Get Ready cover, so those two tracks would be my highlights. In general though, it's a little too slow for my tastes. I'd rather pull out a live album or Songs of Freedom.

If I'm rating it as an essential album? 2/5

re: Legend. Like many of you, that was definitely my gateway/goto Bob Marley for a long time. Until I saw Radiohead in 2008 and they guy next to us in the parking lot played Legend over and over as his pre-party songs for the show. Just not the right vibe, and now it's forever tainted for me.

Last thoughts on Marley. What's cool about this project, is even with albums like this that I know well enough that I don't even feel comfortable approaching any type of analysis - It's basically part of my musical dna at this point, I can learn. I had no idea that this was the first album he did after the assassination attempt. I really should read up more on Mr. Marley, what I do know is fascinating. 5/5

By the way, my favorite Bob Marley album is The Wailing Wailers.

Last thoughts on Marley. What's cool about this project, is even with albums like this that I know well enough that I don't even feel comfortable approaching any type of analysis - It's basically part of my musical dna at this point, I can learn. I had no idea that this was the first album he did after the assassination attempt. I really should read up more on Mr. Marley, what I do know is fascinating. 5/5

By the way, my favorite Bob Marley album is The Wailing Wailers.

Couple more years after this one until he sang so directly to the assassination attempt:

1/26/2023
View attachment 165108
Bob Marley & the Wailers - Exodus

Allmusic review:

My first proper Marley album and definitely one of his strongest. I don't really reach for the reggae super often, but I did have a big Marley phase and really love his entire catalogue. Most of what there is to say about this one has already been said, I don't think I have much to add other than another 5/5

My first proper Marley album and definitely one of his strongest. I don't really reach for the reggae super often, but I did have a big Marley phase and really love his entire catalogue. Most of what there is to say about this one has already been said, I don't think I have much to add other than another 5/5
It's definitely not a genre that I am super knowledgeable about or that I would put in my top genres or anything. Finding Desmond Dekker and the first Marley album really changed my feelings about it though. 1. I learned that I really like ska (like real ska not weird punk with reggae rhythms and horns - although I like that okay) 2. it opened up the rest of it for me.

It's funny that a Marley record took me out of the Marley is the only one worth listening to phase of my love for the music, but it really did and I went from having 6 Marley CDs and no real interest in the genre outside of it to I have 39 different titles (and only three of them are Marley - Legend, Wailing Wailers and Burnin') that have it listed as genre on discogs.

Back