The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Leftfield ~ Lefitsm

Doesn't really do anything for me. Good grooves, but too samey. Obviously not meant for a first thing Wednesday morning listen while you sip coffee and catch up on emails so maybe I'm not in the right headspace for it. Maybe I'll put it on the headphones this weekend when I go to Costco and see if it improves. 2/5

Leftfield ~ Lefitsm

Doesn't really do anything for me. Good grooves, but too samey. Obviously not meant for a first thing Wednesday morning listen while you sip coffee and catch up on emails so maybe I'm not in the right headspace for it. Maybe I'll put it on the headphones this weekend when I go to Costco and see if it improves. 2/5
I’m gonna require video evidence.

Feeling really dumb but I just realized this is a group thread with it's own list going on. I just thought you all were getting similar albums in your lists! I still don't know exactly how to vote in the group or whatever but sorry if I've been posting my own list in here. I didn't' realize there were 2 threads.

With that said, I haven't heard Leftism in so long. I really got into Leftfield during their album Rhythm and Stealth and did check this out around then. But I dont remember the songs to be honest but i'm sure a listen will kick in some memories.

Feeling really dumb but I just realized this is a group thread with it's own list going on. I just thought you all were getting similar albums in your lists! I still don't know exactly how to vote in the group or whatever but sorry if I've been posting my own list in here. I didn't' realize there were 2 threads.

With that said, I haven't heard Leftism in so long. I really got into Leftfield during their album Rhythm and Stealth and did check this out around then. But I dont remember the songs to be honest but i'm sure a listen will kick in some memories.
No worries. There is a separate thread for individual albums but it has a similar name.

OK I've read up a bit, so we're voting in this thread with a number and Lee is tallying up our votes and averaging?

I guess this is where i begin in the group thread then -

LEFTFIELD - LEFTISM Rating: 3/5
I think what really turned me off from the album as a whole back then are the vocals in some of these tracks. I didn't think they fit too well and I still feel the same today. There are some good tracks in here though I do like Song of Life & Original. The 2nd half sounds a lot more solid than the first half although a bit too generic sounding? I do like a lot of songs like this but I think if I liked it back then, it would be a different story. Overall, I dont think i'd just straight up listen to it but might revisit some of these tracks.

OK I've read up a bit, so we're voting in this thread with a number and Lee is tallying up our votes and averaging?

I guess this is where i begin in the group thread then -

LEFTFIELD - LEFTISM Rating: 3/5
I think what really turned me off from the album as a whole back then are the vocals in some of these tracks. I didn't think they fit too well and I still feel the same today. There are some good tracks in here though I do like Song of Life & Original. The 2nd half sounds a lot more solid than the first half although a bit too generic sounding? I do like a lot of songs like this but I think if I liked it back then, it would be a different story. Overall, I dont think i'd just straight up listen to it but might revisit some of these tracks.
You can join the group in the first post and then you'll be able to rate the group album daily on the website and it will automatically show everybody's scores.

As for Leftfield, I had never listened to this but I loved it. It reminds me of the EDM music that would be played/performed in the Sahara tent at Coachella. I ended up "liking" over half of the album on Spotify and am looking forward to listening to it again. 4/5

Last edited:
2/8/23
ab67616d0000b273bd732535635abc590e07d68a

Leftfield - Leftism

Allmusic Review:

I was excited to see this one pop up because I haven't listened to it in a while. I've got the CD somewhere and am going to try and find it this weekend. I have some filthy memories of this playing in a friend's basement that he'd converted into a bar for us. The memory is bittersweet though because I was a Dead Kennedy's song.

2/8/23
ab67616d0000b273bd732535635abc590e07d68a

Leftfield - Leftism

Allmusic Review:

One from the earliest wave of solid full-length electronic albums that broke the mould of primarily being a 12" format.

This was a bit more bumping and uptempo than the Massive Attack and Portishead vibes I was particularly in love with but still rather chill in its own way. And while The Crystal Method and Underworld have lost some of the appeal they used to hold, this one holds up quite well. It rocks my socks almost as much as it did when it was minty fresh with new excitement. 4.5/5 for me

Underworld is amazing! Such slander.

Leftfield is great. First house music album that really stood on its own for me. Underworld's Dubno was not quite house. Ambient music had been making satisfying albums for a minute, but Orbital and The Orb were conceiving them as albums. Massive Attack and Portishead were something else entirely.

Leftfield managed to sequence and present 12 inches (as most of these songs were actually club hits prior to the album) in a way that was not mindnumbingly boring nor an assualt on your senses and fatiguing as a result. The right balance of programming and texture was achieved.

4 stars

Love - Forever Changes

Quite simply, this is the sound of the Summer of Love coming to a close. Flower power is losing its allure and the Manson murders are just over the horizon. This is the madness and the drugs, the love and the hate all encapsulated in one time capsule that has been open to us the whole time. It is astonishing in its emotion and it's sophistication. Peak psychedelia in all of its glory and insanity.

Hell, the title itself, LOVE FOREVER CHANGES, is poetic and profound given the subject matter and the moment in time.

5/5

Back