The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Which is kinda funny because live the Monkeys have yet to disappoint me but the variability of the strokes on stage is massive. I’ve seen them rip it up. I’ve also seen them come across as so bored on stage that I’ve fancied a little snooze myself.
I've never seen either live and neither are someone that are gonna make me get that close to strangers. Swell Season was the first thing I have seriously considered in some time, but my wife was like naw. And I'd really like to be with her at my next show as she can talk me out of a panic attack if I have one. Not that I've ever had one at a show before, but I was not super comfortable at the Jason Isbell show my daughter and I went to year before last.

Yeah the first two Kings of Leon albums both had really great and interesting moments. I don’t think either ever fully convinced me as a whole but there were some brilliant songs. The Bucket is an all time favourite in some ways.

Then they decided to try and be U2, and failed, badly.
I mean, I think they approximated U2 fairly well. Just don't care... lol. (Neither did anyone else) and anything is better than when Mumford and Sons decided to be U2 with fucking banjos.

I've never seen either live and neither are someone that are gonna make me get that close to strangers. Swell Season was the first thing I have seriously considered in some time, but my wife was like naw. And I'd really like to be with her at my next show as she can talk me out of a panic attack if I have one. Not that I've ever had one at a show before, but I was not super comfortable at the Jason Isbell show my daughter and I went to year before last.

My brother was living in Sheffield around the time they broke through and saw them in a few pubs. That sounded great. I kinda got in at small club level and also saw them in the weirdest setting ever. A big room in an old steel foundry that had been turned into an industrial museum. Weird atmosphere and the acoustics were all over the shop. Saw them again last time out and they were much less vital but also much more polished and it was still a great gig but in a totally different way.

Have I ever mentioned to you guys that we owe U2, love them or hate them for Radiohead and Coldplay (love them or hate them)?

I can’t imagine that Thom Yorke would accept that in any way shape or form. Also don’t really see it beyond The Bends maybe being kinda but not quite adjacent style wise.

Coldplay totally. Initially a sort of weedy approximation of Radiohead and then, even down to the Eno, it became the U2 big music.

adding this to my queue immediately following Deja Vu:

aww screw it, I had added some dumb ass super deluxe csny, listening now... I already like The Libertines more than AM or Strokes combined.

The Coral are my favourite of that bunch, despite all the Bloc Party references/joke down the years. I think I might have seen them 12 or 13 times live…

Love this album, but it's hard to picture how it'd be in the context of listening to it today for the first time. It's definitely a time and place thing...well, just time for me. This was one of the first albums I fell in love with when I was starting to veer towards the indie rock side of things. This mixed right into my stacks of Death Cabs and Bright Eyes and all that stuff that I was getting big into at the time.

Love this album, but it's hard to picture how it'd be in the context of listening to it today for the first time. It's definitely a time and place thing...well, just time for me. This was one of the first albums I fell in love with when I was starting to veer towards the indie rock side of things. This mixed right into my stacks of Death Cabs and Bright Eyes and all that stuff that I was getting big into at the time.
YOU'RE THE REASON ALLMUSIC SAID DEATH CAB...

I don't see this vibing with either Death Cab or Bright Eyes.

I don't think I've ever listened to Bloc Party or the Corals, I seem to remember Franz Ferdinand but thought they were more new wavey than punky....

Yeah totally but their initial success gave Domino the money to sign the Monkeys plus convinced the Monkeys to sign to Domino. That whole scene at the time wasn’t totally tied together much beyond time and place.

The Cribs would be another one, probably the closest in style to throw into that mix. Maybe “The New Fellas” or “Men’s Needs, Women’s Needs, Whatever” would be their best two.

Yeah totally but their initial success gave Domino the money to sign the Monkeys plus convinced the Monkeys to sign to Domino. That whole scene at the time wasn’t totally tied together much beyond time and place.

The Cribs would be another one, probably the closest in style to throw into that mix. Maybe “The New Fellas” or “Men’s Needs, Women’s Needs, Whatever” would be their best two.
added!

Back