The National

Holy shit it was an insanely great show tonight. Matt and Aaron said that they were pulling out old songs that they weren’t sure they remembered how to play. We got Humiliation into Murder Me Rachael. Also, Walk it Back, and a new song. Incredible.

I got Bryce’s setlist ❤️

Holy shit it was an insanely great show tonight. Matt and Aaron said that they were pulling out old songs that they weren’t sure they remembered how to play. We got Humiliation into Murder Me Rachael. Also, Walk it Back, and a new song. Incredible.

I got Bryce’s setlist ❤️

Yeah that set list looks great. I’m thrilled to see Humiliation and Murder Me Rachael on it

The National are one of my favorite bands ever and its been so fun seeing them over the years from opening for another band at a 100 person venue to headlining the Hollywood Bowl for 18k. That said, I'm just not feeling the new album all that much and wasn't a big fan of IAETF either. Anyone else feeling a little fatigued with their current sound? I don't know if all the Dessner collaborations makes some of this music feel watered down maybe? I ended up selling my tickets to see them at the Greek at the end of the month and it feels crappy but the enthusiasm just isn't there anymore.

I got Bryce’s setlist ❤️

So jealous you got those two together. Two of my favorites. I don't think I've seen them do Humiliation in person, even on the TWFM tour.

Edit: I was wrong. They played it in 2013.

Last edited:
The National are one of my favorite bands ever and its been so fun seeing them over the years from opening for another band at a 100 person venue to headlining the Hollywood Bowl for 18k. That said, I'm just not feeling the new album all that much and wasn't a big fan of IAETF either. Anyone else feeling a little fatigued with their current sound? I don't know if all the Dessner collaborations makes some of this music feel watered down maybe? I ended up selling my tickets to see them at the Greek at the end of the month and it feels crappy but the enthusiasm just isn't there anymore.
Yeah this new one is just …. Blah…. I’ve listened to it maybe 10 times and I really don’t feel like I need to more. I love when bands don’t change their sound drastically and just keep churning out solid record after solid record but here I think they need to shake it up. I would still go see them live though because these songs would work better live than on record.

Yeah this new one is just …. Blah…. I’ve listened to it maybe 10 times and I really don’t feel like I need to more. I love when bands don’t change their sound drastically and just keep churning out solid record after solid record but here I think they need to shake it up. I would still go see them live though because these songs would work better live than on record.

Yeah I am sure they are still great live. There's nothing really wrong with the new record, I just don't feel the need to go back to it.

I still don't know if I can go to the shows I have tickets for in a couple weeks but I bought this in prep for it

It is big and secure. Plus the CT variants. I love concert posters.
So both posters, last night's normal and CT variant are available online right now. That may change with each show but I think I'll worry less about getting one at the two shows I'm going to and just buy either when they come online.

So both posters, last night's normal and CT variant are available online right now. That may change with each show but I think I'll worry less about getting one at the two shows I'm going to and just buy either when they come online.

Definitely a gamble but not a bad idea. I don't think the regular will reach online in Portland where I'm scheduled to go

I haven’t been able to step away from the new record for more than a couple days at a time. I think it’s great, albeit a different kind of album. I think they have changed up their sound. You can hear it on SWB and IAETF. The new one is more dialing back down to older core sounds, but matured? Or something like that. I think it’s way better than people are giving it credit for, but I think some of the reasons it doesn’t hit hard at first is the production.

A lot of these songs have incredible details, but they feel muted a little bit. It works when you’re listening closely, like all the pretty sounds on New Order T-Shirt. But other times it should be hitting you in the face but it doesn’t. Like the climax of This Isn’t Helping should be much more cathartic sounding than it is. Or even the drums that come in at the end of Alien. Why aren’t they even more pronounced? Yet in spite of those little issues I have with the album, I think it delivers on being a nice breath of air away from the larger, more moody and lightly experimental past two albums. It feels at ease, yet it turns up the tempo enough throughout the keep it engaging. The sequence at the end is a bit too down tempo to close it all out, but other than that I think it works really well.

And considering the difficulty it took to make this music, especially for Matt’s writing and even singing, I think they found themselves on a nice roll once they started recording. Like this is an album as a process, if that makes sense. It’s them piercing themselves back together as a band in real time almost. If a second album is coming sooner than they’ve ever done before, I think it’ll be even better than this one. They’ll have been recording it feeling more together as The National than when they started recorded FTPOF.

This album is pretty much the pinnacle of the approach they’ve been exploring on SWB and IAETF.

And, IMO, it’s the fitting end of a really masterful trilogy of records—they dove deep on a specific texture (SWB), they spread out wide and experimented more than they’ve ever done before (IAETF), and now they’re applying what they learned on that journey to classic National songs.

In the end, I think some people will hear a band that is relaxed and working together masterfully without any one instrument, voice, or sequence needing to take center stage to deliver energy and feeling. And others will hear a version of the National that’s missing the usual standout elements.

Last edited:
i just love this thread...every varying opinion. somewhat similar to a question on the subreddit asking about your favorite Ntl song, reading through the answers was great for me because they were so different than the answers in my head and confirmed that you can come at this band and these songs from many different eras, places in your life, and levels of expertise, emotion and maturity. no interpretation or feeling is more wrong or right. appreciate all of your contributions.

I really like the new album. I haven’t stopped listening to it outside of a few days. I think it hits me at the right time coming out of the Covid haze. It also has a good touch of nostalgia (New Order T-Shirt) which can be a good and bad thing as we all get older. I think it's a much tighter album than IAETF, which I also enjoy but is more of a challenge to get through. I put this one more as a compliment to SWB as it touches a bit on the same themes of isolation and feeling of unease. Is it TLFM or Boxer, no. But it's pretty damn solid. I actually find myself skipping past/mentally checking out on the slower numbers like This Isn't Helping and Your Mind Is Not Your Friend. But Once Upon A Poolside is a damn fine song.

I really like the new album. I haven’t stopped listening to it outside of a few days. I think it hits me at the right time coming out of the Covid haze. It also has a good touch of nostalgia (New Order T-Shirt) which can be a good and bad thing as we all get older. I think it's a much tighter album than IAETF, which I also enjoy but is more of a challenge to get through. I put this one more as a compliment to SWB as it touches a bit on the same themes of isolation and feeling of unease. Is it TLFM or Boxer, no. But it's pretty damn solid. I actually find myself skipping past/mentally checking out on the slower numbers like This Isn't Helping and Your Mind Is Not Your Friend. But Once Upon A Poolside is a damn fine song.
Yeah the two Phoebe assisted songs are still probably my least favorites maybe, but they have grown on me still since my first listen. This Isn’t Helping especially has a lot of nice moments in it. But I don’t love love it.

Yeah the two Phoebe assisted songs are still probably my least favorites maybe, but they have grown on me still since my first listen. This Isn’t Helping especially has a lot of nice moments in it. But I don’t love love it.
This Isn’t Helping is so much better live.

Another fun show tonight, we got Demons and Abel! I’m sad we’re going home tomorrow since they played another new song! They’re dropping another new album one song a night!

This Isn’t Helping is so much better live.

Another fun show tonight, we got Demons and Abel! I’m sad we’re going home tomorrow since they played another new song! They’re dropping another new album one song a night!
I’d love to see Demons live. I only recently found out a lot of people don’t like that song and I was genuinely confused. It’s often been one of my favorites off of TWFM. Also, I’ll Still Destroy You! I love that song.

Back