The National - Cherry Tree Club

"First" US concert announcement is the key here for me.
They had a bunch of shows that I hope they try and reschedule. Bright eyes had a show near me that was scheduled for later in 2020. When they announced some new shows they didn't have that date rescheduled. I hope The National try and make up all their dates if they can.

1644933207184.png

They had a bunch of shows that I hope they try and reschedule. Bright eyes had a show near me that was scheduled for later in 2020. When they announced some new shows they didn't have that date rescheduled. I hope The National try and make up all their dates if they can.

View attachment 128936
Have you checked on Bright Eyes lately...they kept adding some new shows recently.

Have you checked on Bright Eyes lately...they kept adding some new shows recently.
I have, not really a huge deal as I like Bright Eyes nowhere close to how much I like The National. I was using that as a basis for if bands who had dates in 2020 finally announce a new tour will they adhere to those old dates or completely new ones. Looks like it's mostly new ones so far.

I have, not really a huge deal as I like Bright Eyes nowhere close to how much I like The National. I was using that as a basis for if bands who had dates in 2020 finally announce a new tour will they adhere to those old dates or completely new ones. Looks like it's mostly new ones so far.
Hopefully! Because Cinci and Minneapolis are the closest to me from that 2020 tour, and that's like 6 hours.

View attachment 128936
Back in the late spring of 2020, there was period where I was thinking/hoping that 8/1 Cooperstown show would be an excellent “first show back” once we had put this whole COVID mess behind us.

View attachment 128936
We had tix for New Haven, Bethlehem & Cooperstown. I fully expect a NYC area date to be added and I'm thinking it's possible they play Sea Hear Now (and hopefully a late night show in Asbury Park) Would prefer Philly to Bethlehem, but I'll go where I must ;)

Pricing is steep on the CT fest. I will undoubtedly go, but I hate the idea of wasting that much $$ for a fest that I'll only attend one day.

Still, this is exciting news.

Pricing is steep on the CT fest. I will undoubtedly go, but I hate the idea of wasting that much $$ for a fest that I'll only attend one day.
GA is $250 and some change, so we can assume $300. Maybe they'll eventually come out with a single day ticket? that would be $150?

Wishful thinking maybe, but if they lined up Stevie Nicks, The National, Jenny Lewis and/or Band of Horses on one day then I might be compelled to go.

GA is $250 and some change, so we can assume $300. Maybe they'll eventually come out with a single day ticket? that would be $150?

Wishful thinking maybe, but if they lined up Stevie Nicks, The National, Jenny Lewis and/or Band of Horses on one day then I might be compelled to go.
That's my hope as well. I know Sea Hear Now never does a single day ticket, hoping this fest will. I guess it will probably depend on how well it sells. 🤷‍♀️

It's amusing to me that a bunch of my National friends have already contacted me to see if we want to share an AirBnB etc. and my answer is "well, I'm not sure if we're even going" :LOL: Of course I'll go, but I'm much more interested in full shows rather than a fest set for the Nats.

I'm much more interested in full shows rather than a fest set for the Nats.
100%

This is funny because years ago I went to the 2014 Riot Fest in Chicago when the National played. It was a two year event that one of my friends and I would make the drive to that. He's really into Punk but loves the National too. It was his first time seeing them. I remember it was a decent set, however it was even shorter than a shortened festival set because they were having customs issues having just come over the border from a show in Canada the day before. Only 12 songs actually. Long story short, is that my friend was super excited with the show because he's used to seeing punk bands play 25-35 minute sets and was very happy. I was upset because it was even shorter than you usually expect for the National.

At this new fest, since they're not technically the headliners here, would they get a full 2 hours? maybe 1 hour only? Is it worth it? I dunno.

100%

This is funny because years ago I went to the 2014 Riot Fest in Chicago when the National played. It was a two year event that one of my friends and I would make the drive to that. He's really into Punk but loves the National too. It was his first time seeing them. I remember it was a decent set, however it was even shorter than a shortened festival set because they were having customs issues having just come over the border from a show in Canada the day before. Only 12 songs actually. Long story short, is that my friend was super excited with the show because he's used to seeing punk bands play 25-35 minute sets and was very happy. I was upset because it was even shorter than you usually expect for the National.

At this new fest, since they're not technically the headliners here, would they get a full 2 hours? maybe 1 hour only? Is it worth it? I dunno.
They have three headliners listed for a two day fest. I think they did similar for Sea Hear Now last year, and The Avett Brothers ended up playing before Pearl Jam on the main stage. As I recall, they got about 1 hour, which is what I would expect the National will get in CT.

On a semi related note, we did go to the second weekend of ACL Fest in 2018 when the National was there, however, the only reason we went is because they announced a late night show at Stubb's the night before. Bought tix to Stubb's and then we were like, it's kind of silly to fly all the way to Austin just for that one show, so let's try ACL for a day. It was a great experience and I would gladly go back. Not just to see a fave band as I'm not gonna queue when there is so much music surrounding you at Zilker Park.

And as Cherry Tree members know, that Stubb's gig has been immortalized on the CT3 fanclub vinyl.

Last edited:

View attachment 128936
This breaks my heart - @whatwhatsaywhat and I were 2 weeks away from the Melbourne gigs and had row 2 & row 6 for 2 of the 3 shows... No idea when they are coming back... 😭😭😭

Would love to see them, but the closest to me is Harrisburg which is like 3 hours so not going to happen at this point in my life.

Nothing for Texas. Closest show is Kansas City but it's midweek so that's no bueno. We can usually count on them swinging through ACL Fest in Austin and getting a Houston and Dallas show but they're not doing ACL this year. Bummer.

Really bummed that they aren't playing a show in the Bay Area or Austin, here's hoping they add more towards the end of the year

Back