The National - Cherry Tree Club

It's my favorite too. Williamsburg Waterfront used to be cool. Saw some good shows there. I saw Huey Lewis at Coney Island for free a few years ago which was hilarious but fun. And Prospect Park is fun because you don't even have to actually pay for the show. You can just go hang out and have a BBQ in the park fairly close to the stage and still hear everything.

Forest Hills, as other said, is close to Jackson Heights where there is incredible food. Super easy walk from the subway. Coney Island is a trek from nearly everywhere in NYC though so I kinda stopped looking at gigs there. The lineups at Forest Hills have been pretty good too. A lot skew toward the older crowd, but I did see Chance the Rapper there with Francis and the Lights opening and have seen D'Angelo with Gary Clark and a few other awesome gigs. I also love the early curfew haha
This discussion made me remember that I am sitting on fantastic seats for Wilco + Sleater-Kinney at Forest Hills whenever that show ends up getting played. Incidentally, I have also seen Wilco at Coney Island and Summer Stage, as well as at the worst NYC-area outdoor venue (Jones Beach).

It's my favorite too. Williamsburg Waterfront used to be cool. Saw some good shows there. I saw Huey Lewis at Coney Island for free a few years ago which was hilarious but fun. And Prospect Park is fun because you don't even have to actually pay for the show. You can just go hang out and have a BBQ in the park fairly close to the stage and still hear everything.

Forest Hills, as other said, is close to Jackson Heights where there is incredible food. Super easy walk from the subway. Coney Island is a trek from nearly everywhere in NYC though so I kinda stopped looking at gigs there. The lineups at Forest Hills have been pretty good too. A lot skew toward the older crowd, but I did see Chance the Rapper there with Francis and the Lights opening and have seen D'Angelo with Gary Clark and a few other awesome gigs. I also love the early curfew haha

On a Friday or Sat in the Summer...that Coney Island venue can be incredible.
Its a hike, but if you go early and sit on the Boardwalk and have a few too many drinks before you go to the venue...its kind of a perfect NY Summer night.

Plus you have a 1hr on the Subway back to civilization to sober up.

This discussion made me remember that I am sitting on fantastic seats for Wilco + Sleater-Kinney at Forest Hills whenever that show ends up getting played. Incidentally, I have also seen Wilco at Coney Island and Summer Stage, as well as at the worst NYC-area outdoor venue (Jones Beach).

I have an extra pair of seats to the Wilco show...1st row in the risers to the left of the stage..that I've got out for sale on the resale sites if anyone is looking for decent tickets.

I expect that show will go forward...given the way NYC is starting to open up, including Concert Venues (with limited capacity) now.

I just signed up for CT, impulsively. I want this Stubbs set!
I'm not sure if it's still available :( I think the deadline to sign up for it was Dec. 31. You can try emailing cherry tree and ask them for clarification, but I think that since you signed up after 12/31/20, the gift you will receive will be the 2021 gift which has not yet been announced. The Stubb's show is technically the 2020 gift which is just running late again.

I'm not sure if it's still available :( I think the deadline to sign up for it was Dec. 31. You can try emailing cherry tree and ask them for clarification, but I think that since you signed up after 12/31/20, the gift you will receive will be the 2021 gift which has not yet been announced. The Stubb's show is technically the 2020 gift which is just running late again.
Yeah, they ended up making Vol 1available in the store for purchase once Vol 2 dropped so if they continue down that road he may be able to purchase volume 3 from the store at some point (maybe).

Both signed versions are sold out and the blue white split vinyl unsigned is sold out. The light brown and clear vinyl versions are still up.

I like the National but personally, I would probably look at the book once and then I've dropped $150+ on an 8 song record.
I love these kind of books and I will def page through it multiple times. It's also fun knowing that pix of my family will be in it, makes it more special to me.

Just checked, the blue/white split has now sold out! I wonder if they will put more up in 72 hours for non CT members?
1616444006288.png

I like the National but personally, I would probably look at the book once and then I've dropped $150+ on an 8 song record.
same. It is going towards the touring crew, which is a good cause. I guess you have to convince yourself on that. It's like when PBS does TV drives and you end up spending $40 for a coffee mug or $100 for a sweatshirt because a large majority of that is a donation to your local station. A book and record combo should be no more than $60 in all honesty.

So, anybody know how the CS handles replacements? Finally got my CT exclusives of s/t and Sad Songs. S/t had a pretty bad scratch/scuff all across American Mary that basically renders that song unlistenable.

Last edited:
Back