The National - Cherry Tree Club

I do think it would have been nice to add the vinyl as a cherry tree exclusive on its own, but I guess they know what they are doing cause more people were probably more likely to buy the book with the exclusive vinyl.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do sell it as a standalone in the future. They seem to drop goodies in the shop every now and then. Obviously, this release is about Graham's work, the vinyl is a really nice added bonus.

What about the Williamsburg Waterfront?

I don't know if they still do shows there. But, I saw New Order, DFA1979, Pavement, Sonic Youth there in the early 2010s and it was such a cool venue looking out over NYC.

I really love Prospect Park, saw The National, Beach House, Childish Gambino. Forest Hills is great if you have standing. I saw The Replacements and The National on the floor which was awesome. I got sitting tickets for Paul Simon, but unfortunately it was so far to the right that my view was obstructed for most of the show :(
I have found Summer Stage to be such a frustrating venue. People love to talk and the acoustics make chatter very loud. I remember seeing Spoon there in 2014 (I think - it was definitely They Want My Soul) and the noise from people talking was unreal. The last show I saw there was Muse a few years ago and a friend got us into VIP on the bleachers so it was definitely better than being on the ground.

I never schlepped out to Billyburg for a show there so I couldn't rank it.

Could be better than Summer Stage, for the reasons that @threesunrises stated, But I wouldn't know it.

That Forest Hill Venue is one of the best outdoor venues in the NYC area.

I rank the Top 5:
1. Forest Hills
2. Prospect Park Band Shell
3. Coney Island
4. Pier 17
5. Central Park Summer Stage
Forest Hills tops the list for me, especially due to (1) the quality of pre/post options in the surrounding neighborhood and (2) the early start times/hard curfew (I’m getting old).

*checking the mail from Cherry Tree*
"Oh, that's a nice looking package! I should probably put in an order for this"
*Sees price on Cherry Tree store* "
"OH HOLY MOTHERF* "
*Shuts down page*
"Ok, I can live without this, I guess"
I opened up the CT store and said F*ck. F*ck. F*ck. Went upstairs to where my husband was working and said F*ck. F*ck. Went back down to my work area and looked closer, and saw that there were pix of us in it. I repeated F*ck the entire time my transaction was processing.

I rank the Top 5:
1. Forest Hills
3. Coney Island
4. Pier 17
I’ve never been to Pier 17 - I was going to see Isbell & 400 Unit there last summer but something happened, can’t really remember what anymore.

Forest Hills tops the list for me, especially due to (1) the quality of pre/post options in the surrounding neighborhood and (2) the early start times/hard curfew (I’m getting old).
Especially with the price of food/beverages inside the venue. It's like $14 for a Heineken. I normally don't drink or eat at shows because the price is outrageous. But $14 for a single beer. I can't.

So many great food options in that part of Queens. The times I've been have been enjoying footd a little before around that area and then casually into the venue without any rush.

I have to head back to my parents in CT via the train, or driving. So shows ending at 10pm means I'm home at 12am at the latest which is awesome.

Especially with the price of food/beverages inside the venue. It's like $14 for a Heineken. I normally don't drink or eat at shows because the price is outrageous. But $14 for a single beer. I can't.

So many great food options in that part of Queens. The times I've been have been enjoying foot a little before around that area and then into the venue. I have to head back to my parents in CT via the train, or driving. So shows ending at 10pm means I'm home at 12am at the latest which is awesome.
Prior to the National show there in 2017, I watched the first couple of innings of a Yankees playoff game at a nearby bar, then went and saw the show and got back to the bar just in time to see Cleveland get the game winning hit in extra innings.

So many great food options in that part of Queens. The times I've been have been enjoying footd a little before around that area and then casually into the venue without any rush.

I have to head back to my parents in CT via the train, or driving. So shows ending at 10pm means I'm home at 12am at the latest which is awesome.
The reason its so great is that the entrance is like a 5 min walk from an area in Queens with a ton of bars and restaurants. You go have a nice meal and a couple of drinks before walking into the venue.

Also price of Beer aside, you can get Tiger Beer at Forest Hills...which helps push this to #1 for me as well.

I have not been to a show since that National show in 2017. I don't think they had those cans then! I don't live close anymore ha, but I would absolutely grab that if I could!
They didn't have it there in 2017, but did in 2018 for TNLNY. I don't believe they've ever been available for purchase here in the NYC area except at the fest, though the Mikkeller brewery in Queens might have had it on tap at one point.

I rank the Top 5:
1. Forest Hills
3. Coney Island
4. Pier 17
It's my favorite too. Williamsburg Waterfront used to be cool. Saw some good shows there. I saw Huey Lewis at Coney Island for free a few years ago which was hilarious but fun. And Prospect Park is fun because you don't even have to actually pay for the show. You can just go hang out and have a BBQ in the park fairly close to the stage and still hear everything.

Forest Hills, as other said, is close to Jackson Heights where there is incredible food. Super easy walk from the subway. Coney Island is a trek from nearly everywhere in NYC though so I kinda stopped looking at gigs there. The lineups at Forest Hills have been pretty good too. A lot skew toward the older crowd, but I did see Chance the Rapper there with Francis and the Lights opening and have seen D'Angelo with Gary Clark and a few other awesome gigs. I also love the early curfew haha

Yeah, I am tempted based on the fact I have colored pressings of all of their wax (sans A Lot Of Sorrow) but I don’t spend triple digits on a single record or book. If it were $100 I think I could justify it by saying the coffee table book was $75 and the EP was $25, which IMO is still a bit too much but since the extra dough is going to their crew it would be slightly more palatable.

Regardless I’m out, as I am nothing if not principled.

Back