The May 2023 Record Spin Challenge: Silver Screen Edition

Day 29 - Fight Club
Play something about time.

Since I really have nothing going on today I figured I'd go with a 4-LP box set. This is a pretty good compilation of "Her Greatest Released And Unreleased Recordings, Live Performances, Out-Takes And Demos, 1967-1977"

Sandy Denny – Who Knows Where The Time Goes?
Hannibal Records – HNBX 5301, 1985

Pressed at Europadisk

Z49lyR.jpg

i6Nu5n.jpg

Day 26: The Godfather

The revenge prompt had me stumped these last few days, so I just decided to go with an Italian-American artist with known mob ties (who apparently tried really hard to get cast in that film)…

Frank Sinatra - The Voice of Frank Sinatra

Day 26 The Godfather
"You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?" - Vito Corleone
Interpret how you wish
OR
Play an album with a song about vengeance

Going to use a little interpretation here, I'll be spinning The James Taylor Quartet "Message From the Godfather" because you know the Godfather be talking, sending you a message so you should be listening...

Day 27: No Country For Old Men

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Mardi Gras

An absolute mess, from the recording of the album to the music itself to even the sequencing.

Last edited:
Day 27 No Country for Old Men
"Well it's a mess ain't it sheriff?" - Wendell
"It if ain't, it'll do til the mess gets here" - Ed Tom Bell
Interpret how you wish
OR
Play an album with messy production, messy cover, or that is just a mess

Bless this mess! PJ Harvey is a goddamn treasure! I'm playing her album "Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea" specifically for the song "This Mess We're In"...not sure who is featured on this track but I feel like he's going to go places!!

I work the next 2 nights and then the early access for Diablo 4 starts on the 1st, so I really won't be able to get to this last day, so I'm just gonna post it now.

Day 31 - There Will Be Blood
Play something with a great final track.

I just clicked the random Discogs button until I saw an album with a last track I really like. And "Hurt" is one of Trent Reznor's best songs.

Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral
Interscope Records/Nothing Records – B0011697-01, 1994/2008

Cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering
Pressed at United

CXy0gC.jpg

KbJVZU.jpg

I seem to grab this KG cut over the newer "Definitive Edition" for some reason - both sound great, but I must just like this one a bit better.

30 Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
"Ohhh. Great warrior. [laughs and shakes his head] Wars not make one great." Yoda

The Rolling Stones "Goats Head Soup" (1973 Rolling Stones Records; 1979 Japanese pressing)
Was in the mood to listen to this and it happens to close with the song Star Star, which has a title that sort of fits the theme.

OC0xNzkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

26 The Godfather
"You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?" - Vito Corleone
Interpret how you wish

Sun Ra & His Solar Arkestra – The Magic City
a4103873125_16.jpg

"The Shadow World" is an excellent description of where the mafia (and triads, and yakuza, etc.) operates.

27 No Country for Old Men
"Well it's a mess ain't it sheriff?" - Wendell
"It if ain't, it'll do til the mess gets here" - Ed Tom Bell
Play an album with messy production, messy cover, or that is just a mess

Sun Ra & His Intergalactic Arkestra – At The Ann Arbor Blues & Jazz Festival In Exile 1974 - It Is Forbidden
image.jpg

I feel as though I have a lot of leeway for Sun Ra covers - I mean, many of the early ones were hand drawn by members of the band right before their shows and the skills and styles vary so greatly on those. But for the tools available in the modern age, this cover is just an absolute garbage hot mess

Here is the list for the Bandcamp drawings...I think I included everyone that has posted but if for some reason I forgot someone please chime in.

@Yer Ol' Uncle D
@Wicked Dreamer
@CrazyDiamond84
@threesunrises
@gafacaode
@cul8er
@Turbo
@imtheocean
@Wes C. Attle
@4080
@avecigrec
@TenderLovingKiller®
@LeeVing
@LeSamourai
@Hemotep

I'll do the drawing this week, sometime after the 31st - the prizes are two $20 Bandcamp gift cards, one each emailed to the winners.
Thanks for playing along everyone!

30 Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
"Ohhh. Great warrior. [laughs and shakes his head] Wars not make one great." Yoda
Play something about warriors or space

Bitchin Bajas – Switched On Ra
a0490907638_16.jpg

Lots of space here! "Space is the Place," "Outer Spaceways Incorporated," "Moon Dance," "Island In The Sun," and "We Travel The Spaceways"

Back