The May 2023 Record Spin Challenge: Silver Screen Edition

Day 24 - Rushmore
Play something about nurses, doctors, surgery or hospitals.

Most people only know the Metallica cover on the Garage Days EP...

Budgie – In For The Kill!
MCA Records/UMC – 5373425, 1974/2017

Cut by Greg Moore at Finyl Tweek

5m9i1A.jpg

fQlLj6.jpg

Day 25 - Memento
Play something you chased down to get a copy of

There really isn't much "chase" in this new online world of shopping for records. It's out there if you are willing to pay for it. It was years of collecting before I first bought 2nd hand online - through Ebay, EIL, or Discogs...

This is my last Ebay purchase - was a buy it now and had a wrong description - but I took a chance on it since it had the right title and pics. It's not their best album, but as a completist, I needed to get it...and paying $70 was better than waiting for a reissue or paying the $300 they are going for today.

And for a glow-in-the-dark, it sounds fine. But I really think pressing plants should stop making the glow-in-the-dark.

Mudvayne – Mudvayne
Epic – 88697302651, 2009

For a glow-in-the-dark LP, it doesn't sound all that bad....I forgot it was.
UV reactive front and rear sleeve.

Cut by Wes Garland at NRP
Pressed at United

RMEIO4.jpg

wQ0yCU.jpg

DW0DlR.jpg

27 No Country for Old Men
"Well it's a mess ain't it sheriff?" - Wendell
"It if ain't, it'll do til the mess gets here" - Ed Tom Bell

Going literal here. I'm bummed that Danny is doing a two shows this summer, one here in San Diego, and I'll be out of town at the time. Would love to see him again, last time was in the Boingo days. To be honest though, this album is a bit of a mess as well. Some good tracks, some that are a little heavy handed.

Danny Elfman ~ Big Mess

NzYtMTcyOS5qcGVn.jpeg

26 The Godfather
"You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?" - Vito Corleone

I went with this one...

Day 27 - No Country for Old Men
Play an album with messy production.

The mess is what makes it great - The newer Iggy Pop remix is good, but a little too clean for me. I'm glad this reissue came with both versions for me to choose whichever one I'm in the mood for.

Iggy And The Stooges – Raw Power
Columbia/Legacy – 88691959351, 1973/2012

#RSD12

Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio
Pressed at United

tYWZk7.jpg

3ea2Lo.jpg

Day 25 Memento
"Ok, so what am I doing?
Oh, I'm chasing this guy
No...he's chasing me." - Leonard
Interpret how you wish
OR
Play something you chased down to get a copy of

The story of me getting the Bran Van 3000 album "Glee" kind of fits this prompt! My wife was away for the weekend and I decided to walk over to the record store and see if they had any records! I was flipping through the used bins and saw the album, I knew the one song off of it and it was only $20 so I thought, why not... Then I changed my mind and thought, why buy this for one song? I'm past that point of collecting! I was walking home and about half way back I thought, maybe I should listen to the album...and I was like, this is cool as shit, why didn't I buy this?!? I was almost home and thought, if I don't go back it'll be gone, so I turned around and rushed back not expecting it to still be there and when I got back it was still there, ain't nobody checking for this! I picked it up and as I was walking back my wife called, I told her what I did, turns out she LOVES this record, like she knows it front to back! Not exactly running around the world looking for something but it was an adventure!

28 Fast Times at Ridgemont High
"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine" - Jeff Spicoli
Interpret how you wish
OR
Play some surf rock or something that goes well with a buzz

Rabid rat fink caught an eighty foot wave
Hit the bonzai pipeline, rode it straight to the grave
Screamin':
Saddle up a buzz buzz, saddle up a buzz buzz
Saddle up a buzz buzz, saddle up a buzz buzz!

The Cramps - Stay Sick!

pnbY4VMkj

Edit: let's not forget about the bikini girls with machine guns!

And also this just popped into my mind;

Last edited:
Day 28 - Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Play some surf rock.

I haven't played this in a very long time as it's just easier to actually listen to X - than a band doing Ventures-like covers of X. But this does have 2 things going for it - Billy Zoom and DJ Bonebrake play various instruments. Still, wasn't a bad purchase at my local record store's booth in an antique mall....was probably 3 bucks.

As you can probably tell by the bands name, they did a Ramones album first.

The copy I have also has 2 side-b labels, I didn't start on side b.

Ramonetures – Johny Walk Don't Run Paulene
Blood Red Vinyl & Discs – BRLP12015, 2001

hWzHyJ.jpg

pEb9ex.jpg

I7ghwj.jpg

Last edited:
27 No Country for Old Men
"Well it's a mess ain't it sheriff?" - Wendell
"It if ain't, it'll do til the mess gets here" - Ed Tom Bell

This has some ok songs, but the album is pretty much a mess. So is that cruiser on the cover.

Back