The May 2023 Record Spin Challenge: Silver Screen Edition

Day 25: Memento
The Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
IMG_3367.jpeg
Memento is fun because of the reverse order in which the film is laid out it starts with the ending and works backwards from there (Seinfeld did it first). Anyways, this made me think of “Paul Revere” the beat track from the album was played backwards and done so in a very analog way by Adam Yauch.

Speaking to Rolling Stone in 2012, Diamond recalled, “Run from Run-DMC was there, and he was like, ‘Man, this is crazy.’ But Yauch recorded this beat, bounced it to another tape, flipped it around—this is pre-digital sampling—and bounced it back to the multi-track tape.”

According to Diamond, the backward beat was more than an inspired addition—it redefined the track. “The reversed beat basically became ‘Paul Revere.’ Yauch saw this thing we couldn’t see—and he killed it.”

@ranbalam thanks for running this month. We have lots of overlap in our favorite movies which of course made this month even more entertaining!

Sorry I had to post 3 weeks worth of plays in a single day. I was hoping we would have uploads back up prior, then our cat passed away, and now we got a couple of kittens running about.

I hope to be able to stay more consistently involved for @jamieanderson1968 June thread. See you all there!

@ranbalam thanks for running this month. We have lots of overlap in our favorite movies which of course made this month even more entertaining!

Sorry I had to post 3 weeks worth of plays in a single day. I was hoping we would have uploads back up prior, then our cat passed away, and now we got a couple of kittens running about.

I hope to be able to stay more consistently involved for @jamieanderson1968 June thread. See you all there!

KITTENS!!!

31 There Will Be Blood
"I'm finished."

(Forgot to post this last night.)

I was going to go with Anywhere I Lay My Head from Rain Dogs but I feel I've done that before, so I went with this

A fantastic closer on a fantastic album.

Thanks for participating this month! See you all in the next one...

Day 24: Rushmore
The Kinks - Kinda Kinks
View attachment 174026
Rushmore is my favorite or second favorite movie of all time (running neck and neck with Raising Arizona). I am bummed I don’t own the amazing soundtrack on wax, I own a few other Wes Anderson Soundtrack but not this one, hopefully it will get reissued here soon. Anyways, I own Kinda Kinks, which features a song used perfectly within the film.

That's among my favorites songs-scene combos in any movie ever. Nice choice.

Back