The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

@wmeugene I’m sold. last questions.

Anything I need to watch for used other than “has remote?”

Any advantage sound wise to the 105d vs 105?

They seem to be the same with the exception that one has WiFi.

@wmeugene I’m sold. last questions.

Anything I need to watch for used other than “has remote?”

Any advantage sound wise to the 105d vs 105?

They seem to be the same with the exception that one has WiFi.
The wifi is useful if you want to use it for updates, etc. I have the 105 with wifi capabilities. They're useful.

Oops, I have stumbled into the Dark Side.View attachment 113127
darkside_newthumb.png

and Streamers

have you decided on a streaming service/platform C ?

It passed the wife test. Norah Jones on Tidal rocked her socks, officially an approved purchase!

For real though, I’m kind of amazed by how much better this sounds than Bluetooth Streaming, I knew it would but wow, this is actually fun and exciting 😈😈😈

It passed the wife test. Norah Jones on Tidal rocked her socks, officially an approved purchase!

For real though, I’m kind of amazed by how much better this sounds than Bluetooth Streaming, I knew it would but wow, this is actually fun and exciting 😈😈😈
Welcomeee! Yea a nice DAC and some better quality source material can sound real nice. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! Now you can go down the rabbit hole of which CD masters sound the best 😂😂

Remember to update your signature!

I'm tempted, but in a quandary. I like the look of Kallax-fi, so fancy a one box plus turntable solution. But, it could be a lot of money. I don't know whether I just bolt a Node onto my current Onkyo and live with it, or save up for a Linn and live with my Chromecast Audio puck for now...

Bob Dylan Man in the Long black Coat MQA. Turn it up.

Remember to update your signature!

I'm tempted, but in a quandary. I like the look of Kallax-fi, so fancy a one box plus turntable solution. But, it could be a lot of money. I don't know whether I just bolt a Node onto my current Onkyo and live with it, or save up for a Linn and live with my Chromecast Audio puck for now...
The node is fairly small and you never really need to touch it once it’s set up. So you can always put it anywhere within cables reach of your amp and don’t need to see it

The node is fairly small and you never really need to touch it once it’s set up. So you can always put it anywhere within cables reach of your amp and don’t need to see it
Yeah, considered that. That's part of the beauty of it really. I think my next big decision is amplification. Might be a post for the general equipment thread.

Before I upgraded my preamp/speakers, the oppo sounded slightly better in terms of clarity/separation of instruments. Haven't listened to the Oppo since my upgrades to be honest due to super limited time the past few weeks.

I would recommend without hesitation.
Got an Oppo 105 Non "D." I ONLY ever want to plug in discs and play, so that saved me a few hundred. Thanks!

I'm pumped. I picked up an SACD that I've wanted on vinyl for a while and then grabbed a couple SACD's to compare to albums I own already for comparison. It will at least be an interesting experiment. If it works out, I think I won't duplicate albums much, but between both mediums I should be able to round out my collection easier.

I love hearing stories like that. Takes me back to when I had just gotten my steamer and a friend was like “do you really think it’s that much better?”
Put on one of her favorite songs and she instantly says “oh, that’s much better!”

I love hearing stories like that. Takes me back to when I had just gotten my steamer and a friend was like “do you really think it’s that much better?”
Put on one of her favorite songs and she instantly says “oh, that’s much better!”
I spent hours last night listening to stuff on it and was having an absolute blast. Honestly, I enjoyed it more than I have vinyl recently because I had no creeping neurosis around anticipating pressing defects or hearing distracting surface noise. I just got to sit back and relax and get lost in the sound for the first time in a long time. What a great investment!

I spent hours last night listening to stuff on it and was having an absolute blast. Honestly, I enjoyed it more than I have vinyl recently because I had no creeping neurosis around anticipating pressing defects or hearing distracting surface noise. I just got to sit back and relax and get lost in the sound for the first time in a long time. What a great investment!
Yep, it's a great piece. I've done a bunch of A/Bing between it and my vinyl and although the vinyl does come out on top it's closer than I expected. And that's running through far less of a costly chain to get that sound, since there's no needle or stage to concern yourself with. It's impressive.

Back