The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Ed Selley

Yes, this is a vinyl orientated forum, Yes, the bulk of hardware discussions are going to revolve around analogue hardware and this is the way things should be.

But...

It's foolish to suggest that digital isn't a useful part of our audio systems and that some prudent purchasing decisions can make it rather less incidental than would be the case if we don't like the way it is performing. As such, rather than have it intrude on the general equipment recs thread, I thought it might be worth having a thread that allows for the discussion of things pertaining to ones and zeros. I'll set myself up for a fall by announcing that;

1) I like well sorted digital audio- I'm listening to it as I type this.
2) The bang for your buck that modern digital offers is such that a relatively sensible outlay can give your equipment a 'reserve capability' that can come in very handy when you're too... 'tired and emotional'... to use a turntable.
3) I spend a lot of time playing about with it so if you've got specific questions, ask them and I'll do my best to answer them.

To kick off- this evening's music comes courtesy of this duo;

That's an Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server (bottom), configured as a Roon Core sending a 24/88.2 version of Dead Can Dance's Spiritchaser to a Naim Uniti Nova all in one. This isn't bargain basement stuff but I've been playing about with stuff recently that can mirror a lot of the functionality for a lot less so, if you're looking at the 'not the turntable' part of your system and have some questions how you might give it a dose of smelling salts, ask away.

Great idea @Ed Selley !

I do still listen to my fair share of digital and likewise was down that path tonight demoing a potential new purchase on Spotify through my little pi/HiFiBerry streamer and some Primal Scream through my old Sony CD player. I must say that connect these two pieces to the PS Audio DAC via coax has made a huge change to them both and has led to me being more ready to dig out some of those old albums I love but only have on digital!

Love this Ed! I totally agree with the bang for the buck on modern digital. It will never be vinyl for a range of reasons, but honestly it's a much easier entry point to hifi for a lot of people, functionality and affordably.

Streaming especially is getting crazy. It'll be interesting to see how much further that advances in the coming years.

Yes, this is a vinyl orientated forum, Yes, the bulk of hardware discussions are going to revolve around analogue hardware and this is the way things should be.

But...

It's foolish to suggest that digital isn't a useful part of our audio systems and that some prudent purchasing decisions can make it rather less incidental than would be the case if we don't like the way it is performing. As such, rather than have it intrude on the general equipment recs thread, I thought it might be worth having a thread that allows for the discussion of things pertaining to ones and zeros. I'll set myself up for a fall by announcing that;

2) The bang for your buck that modern digital offers is such that a relatively sensible outlay can give your equipment a 'reserve capability' that can come in very handy when you're too... 'tired and emotional'... to use a turntable.
3) I spend a lot of time playing about with it so if you've got specific questions, ask them and I'll do my best to answer them.

View attachment 3170

That's an Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server (bottom), configured as a Roon Core sending a 24/88.2 version of Dead Can Dance's Spiritchaser to a Naim Uniti Nova all in one. This isn't bargain basement stuff but I've been playing about with stuff recently that can mirror a lot of the functionality for a lot less so, if you're looking at the 'not the turntable' part of your system and have some questions how you might give it a dose of smelling salts, ask away.
Your an evil man @Ed Selley 😖

The system in my sig started out digital. It began with the Bifrost, Valhalla, and Sennys. I think I resisted the call of vinyl for about a week after I got it 😁
At least for my needs, the Schiit gear does digital just fine. I'd say the Bifrost and the U-Turn get about equal love.

Great thread idea! I don't buy any vinyl without auditioning it on Spotify first. I currently have a Marantz NR1606 receiver that I use for streaming over wifi. It's far from audiophile - the manual doesn't even list the DAC chip used. Anyway, I would love a recommendation on a wifi streaming DAC that supports Spotify or Tidal. Right now the leader is Blusound node 2i. If there's anything out there under 1k that bests the Blusound, please share.

Great thread idea! I don't buy any vinyl without auditioning it on Spotify first. I currently have a Marantz NR1606 receiver that I use for streaming over wifi. It's far from audiophile - the manual doesn't even list the DAC chip used. Anyway, I would love a recommendation on a wifi streaming DAC that supports Spotify or Tidal. Right now the leader is Blusound node 2i. If there's anything out there under 1k that bests the Blusound, please share.
The Node 2i is widely loved, and a great solution. I personally went with the Cambridge CXN V2. Plenty of threads around the web on both, but I'm happy to answer questions if you want any specifics on the CXN.

The Node 2i is widely loved, and a great solution. I personally went with the Cambridge CXN V2. Plenty of threads around the web on both, but I'm happy to answer questions if you want any specifics on the CXN.
Somewhat silly question as I have just started looking into similar things...but I have a ton of FLAC files on my computer at home. Can these be accessed by the CXN V2 from another room? If so, how would one control the music/choose albums, etc. Would I have to sit in front of it and select things on the display or is there an iOS app or something easier?

Somewhat silly question as I have just started looking into similar things...but I have a ton of FLAC files on my computer at home. Can these be accessed by the CXN V2 from another room? If so, how would one control the music/choose albums, etc. Would I have to sit in front of it and select things on the display or is there an iOS app or something easier?
There is both iOS and Android apps for the CXN and the Bluesound. @Ed Selley actually advised me previously that the functionality of the app really makes or breaks the products, but both brands were on his "works well" list. I'm bummed we didn't save that from the last forum.

You should be able to access the FLAC files from either device, but I *think* you may need Roon to help manage them. I don't stream from a home source, so I'm not exactly sure on all the options, but I know that's one of Roon's biggest sell points.

The only sensibly priced device that gets near the interface of the Bluesound is the Auralic Aries Mini which is (as I understand it), now rather hard to get in the USA. The Bluesound is arguably more user friendly but the Auralic has more scope to be pushed as part of future upgrades.

If you install server software on your computer- something like Twonky or Slimserver will do it- the FLAC files can be shared over network and be visible to the CXN (and by extension, its app) without you needing line of sight

There is both iOS and Android apps for the CXN and the Bluesound. @Ed Selley actually advised me previously that the functionality of the app really makes or breaks the products, but both brands were on his "works well" list. I'm bummed we didn't save that from the last forum.

You should be able to access the FLAC files from either device, but I *think* you may need Roon to help manage them. I don't stream from a home source, so I'm not exactly sure on all the options, but I know that's one of Roon's biggest sell points.

You don't 'need' Roon for this. It's a gorgeous thing and works beautifully but it's very much a luxury option. At the moment, I'd loosely categorise streaming interfaces as follows;

MVP
Roon

First Draft
Auralic (although it is iOS only)
Bluesound/NAD
Naim
Linn

Second Draft
Cambridge Audio
Mark Levinson/Harman Luxury Group
Primare
Yamaha MusicCast
Volumio
Sonos (great interface but significant hardware limitations)
Denon/Marantz HEOS

Should have got a real job
Everyone else.

The only sensibly priced device that gets near the interface of the Bluesound is the Auralic Aries Mini which is (as I understand it), now rather hard to get in the USA. The Bluesound is arguably more user friendly but the Auralic has more scope to be pushed as part of future upgrades.

If you install server software on your computer- something like Twonky or Slimserver will do it- the FLAC files can be shared over network and be visible to the CXN (and by extension, its app) without you needing line of sight

You don't 'need' Roon for this. It's a gorgeous thing and works beautifully but it's very much a luxury option. At the moment, I'd loosely categorise streaming interfaces as follows;

MVP
Roon

First Draft
Bluesound/NAD
Naim
Linn

Second Draft
Cambridge Audio
Primare
Yamaha MusicCast
Volumio
Denon/Marantz HEOS

Everyone else.
Thanks to you and @displayname for the tips. I was looking into how to stream my FLAC files awhile ago, but the pricing of Roon was a bit of a turn off. I tried Jriver (I think that was the name?) and it worked okay but wasn’t great. I’ll look into all of these other recommendations though!

MVP
Roon

First Draft
Bluesound/NAD
Naim
Linn

Second Draft
Cambridge Audio
Primare
Yamaha MusicCast
Volumio
Denon/Marantz HEOS

Everyone else.
Wasn't Lumin on your past list? Did they drop off for some reason?

MVP
Roon

First Draft
Bluesound/NAD
Naim
Linn

Second Draft
Cambridge Audio
Primare
Yamaha MusicCast
Volumio
Denon/Marantz HEOS

Everyone else.

Here’s a question actually @Ed Selley I'm currently on Volumio on a pi and one of those hifi berry digi boards. Happy with it but if I was to move from Spotify to Tidal/Qobuz at some point and lose the Spotify connect ability the Volumio interface is a bit clunky.

I avoided Roon originally because the cost is high enough that had I gone with it I could have bought a “complete” product like the sonos/bluesound/aurelic for similar money and I was trying to do it on a budget as streaming isn’t a main focus of mine at home, I use it for sampling and on the go.

Is it worth it for the extra cost? Or would it be better to just get the aurelic/bluesound and move on from my little pi?

MVP
Roon

First Draft
Bluesound/NAD
Naim
Linn

Second Draft
Cambridge Audio
Primare
Yamaha MusicCast
Volumio
Denon/Marantz HEOS

Everyone else.
Yes, those smaller Auralic components have dried up overy here. I didn't realize they were iOS only either, and while I'm not Apple averse, I currently have an Android phone. All that seems to confirm the Bluesound Node for me. Thanks for the help!

But...

View attachment 3170

I've spent some time listening to the Naim Uniti Nova, it does sound absolutely fantastic.

Wasn't Lumin on your past list? Did they drop off for some reason?

Only that I now haven't tested a Lumin in a few years so I have no idea what their current interface looks like! They should still be pretty good though.

Here’s a question actually @Ed Selley I'm currently on Volumio on a pi and one of those hifi berry digi boards. Happy with it but if I was to move from Spotify to Tidal/Qobuz at some point and lose the Spotify connect ability the Volumio interface is a bit clunky.

I avoided Roon originally because the cost is high enough that had I gone with it I could have bought a “complete” product like the sonos/bluesound/aurelic for similar money and I was trying to do it on a budget as streaming isn’t a main focus of mine at home, I use it for sampling and on the go.

Is it worth it for the extra cost? Or would it be better to just get the aurelic/bluesound and move on from my little pi?

I've not done as much testing with Volumio as I'd like but I think it has plugins for Tidal and Qobuz which aren't too bad. If your PS Audio DAC has a USB input, I recently bought something that might be a different solution for you.

Only that I now haven't tested a Lumin in a few years so I have no idea what their current interface looks like! They should still be pretty good though.

I've not done as much testing with Volumio as I'd like but I think it has plugins for Tidal and Qobuz which aren't too bad. If your PS Audio DAC has a USB input, I recently bought something that might be a different solution for you.

It does behind their paywall but I think you have to use them through the Volumio UI, I don’t think they offer the equivalent idea of Spotify connect unless something has changed in the meantime. I’m not that keen on their UI tbh, it’s fine for changing settings etc but I don’t use it all, just Spotify connect or airplay for net radio.

That looks interesting! My ps audioDAC/pre-amp does indeed support USB! I do have free Spotify with my mobile operator until November though but due to their super tight data limits I’m likely to be moving and if I’m paying for streaming I’ll likely go high res! I’ll have a look at this for then!

Last edited:
PS Audio has a some helpful how-to's on their web site. See
How to build a simple music server
Thanks! Pretty good resource. Since I have mostly FLAC files, it won’t work sadly since iTunes doesn’t use FLAC. I think there are some suggestions in the comments there though that might work! I’ve been wanting to give Roon a try but the price tag has been scaring me from it. Might do a trial soon if they have it available once I have some other aspects set up.

I find it really frustrating there are no good AirPlay compatible wireless DACs available in the US.

Back