The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?

The Dentons are going for C$1300+tax pretty much everywhere I look, so that would be my upper end. Probably no point looking at much cheaper either, because anything there would likely not significantly beat my Mordaunt-Shorts. So it's tight. And not urgent, really. One of the reasons the Wharfedales caught my eye (other than the general love for the company on this forum) is that they are known for their "British" sound, which I know I like because of my current speakers. Plus I love their vintage look.

Anyway - I'll leave it at this - I don't want to side track this thread away from the dark side too much.

Sonos really is a very good app as far as the built in ones go. PS Audio are building an app that looks a lot like roon tbh but their gear isn’t cheap and they take forever to develop their products/software!
Nice thing with the Sonos app it it allows you to stream Bandcamp purchases. One of the few apps that does this I found. Of course since I use Roon all those purchases are in my local collection.

Nice thing with the Sonos app it it allows you to stream Bandcamp purchases. One of the few apps that does this I found. Of course since I use Roon all those purchases are in my local collection.

yeah I only have I on my playbase so I don’t stream too much to it but it was so easy to set up as a 5.1 system with the play 1’s for the rears and seems pretty intuitive to use to play internet radio on.

Any Plex users?

I upgraded last week to paid version. I am trying to access my music outside my network. I think I know what the issue is but wanted to check if I was missing something. My music is on an external drive connected to my computer. So once my computer goes so sleep I cannot see my media (music or video) when I am at work and outside my home wifi network.

Is it because the drive is connected to computer that I cannot access the media when I am away from home? I assume if I set up a proper NAS then I should be able to access all my media outside the home no problem?

Any Plex users?

I upgraded last week to paid version. I am trying to access my music outside my network. I think I know what the issue is but wanted to check if I was missing something. My music is on an external drive connected to my computer. So once my computer goes so sleep I cannot see my media (music or video) when I am at work and outside my home wifi network.

Is it because the drive is connected to computer that I cannot access the media when I am away from home? I assume if I set up a proper NAS then I should be able to access all my media outside the home no problem?

I use Plex to tap into my brother in law's movie collection, but nothing else. I do have a Synology NAS connected directly to the router for my music files and that works quite well. I switched to an NAS when I got a laptop. Allows me to connect to my music from anywhere in the house. I'm not even using the media server from Synology, I just point itunes to the library file on the NAS. I don't use it to connect from outside but I know it's possible. I usually use my phone for music on the go, and I still download files to it in addition to streaming. Come to think of it, I never thought of connecting my phone directly to the library on the NAS... I wonder if that works?

The Dentons are going for C$1300+tax pretty much everywhere I look, so that would be my upper end. Probably no point looking at much cheaper either, because anything there would likely not significantly beat my Mordaunt-Shorts. So it's tight. And not urgent, really. One of the reasons the Wharfedales caught my eye (other than the general love for the company on this forum) is that they are known for their "British" sound, which I know I like because of my current speakers. Plus I love their vintage look.

Anyway - I'll leave it at this - I don't want to side track this thread away from the dark side too much.
Your too close to Linton 85th's to not consider them. Many users around here. Like new B stocks are readily available on reverb.com from MD (but I see your in the great white north). Come over to the Wharfedale thread to discuss.

From what I remember for @Turbo its a size issue.

Yes, a space issue. It's complicated but the shape of my man cave (long & narrow) and the location of the furniture doesn't work for floor standers. I have the bookshelf speakers on shelves. The Dentons are a little bigger than my Carnival 2's but they would fit no problem.

Any Plex users?

Yep, unless you set your power settings to sleep only the screen and not the PC itself.

Some Roon updates this month:

nothing huge although they did add being able to control Roon from your lockscreen which is nice.

New Thorens decks on the way, at the $1700 - $3000 price point. The 1500 is particularly gorgeous, may have to try and demo it when I get around to looking at the Technics GR and MoFi Ultradeck.

Back