The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

No I don't use AirPlay and yes you can use the BluOS app to control Spotify.

I'm talking more about the other way around. When I play Spotify to my Sonos connect or speakers, I don't need to open the Sonos app at all. I just tell Spotify where to play the music and bypass the Sonos app completely. Does it work the same with the node? And if so, with Airplay, do you play directly to the Node without having to open BlueOS directly from itunes for example?

I'm talking more about the other way around. When I play Spotify to my Sonos connect or speakers, I don't need to open the Sonos app at all. I just tell Spotify where to play the music and bypass the Sonos app completely. Does it work the same with the node? And if so, with Airplay, do you play directly to the Node without having to open BlueOS directly from itunes for example?
Yup you got it. In Spotify you can choose the output device, Node, Sonos etc. Essentially the app is acting like a remote control.

Same with iTune or Music as it is called now.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Yes you can bypass the BluOS app and play directly from the Spotify app for your listening sessions.

Can I do that with my personal collection from itunes too? (I have no experience with Airplay because as mentioned above, it doesn't work with my old Sonos).
Yes. In iTunes on the computer there will be a icon at the top that looks like a wifi signal. Click that and you can direct the stream to different setups (Computer/Node/Apple TV)

Yes. In iTunes on the computer there will be a icon at the top that looks like a wifi signal. Click that and you can direct the stream to different setups (Computer/Node/Apple TV)

Awesome - thanks for helping me understand all this. I just upgraded my xbox... next in line are speakers and a DAC. Speakers should be first, but the DAC would be half the price. Maybe one of them next month if all goes well.

So the other part of my question - since I'm mostly using Spotify and files that are not hi-res, is the Node basically too much power for what I'll play on it? I guess Spotify may eventually go hi-res, so there's that. And nothing stops me from slowly converting to hi-res except maybe disk space.
When I started to switch a little to digital, I wanted something that had an upgrade path if I decided I really liked streaming. I got something with the ability to use an external DAC and was Roon ready and ended up using both of those features within a year or so. I don’t have the Node but I believe it should tick those boxes and also let you still use Spotify connect or ability to connect apple music

Awesome - thanks for helping me understand all this. I just upgraded my xbox... next in line are speakers and a DAC. Speakers should be first, but the DAC would be half the price. Maybe one of them next month if all goes well.
When you are ready to pull the trigger on one, let me know and I'll hook you up with my buddy Jason. 😉

When I started to switch a little to digital, I wanted something that had an upgrade path if I decided I really liked streaming. I got something with the ability to use an external DAC and was Roon ready and ended up using both of those features within a year or so. I don’t have the Node but I believe it should tick those boxes and also let you still use Spotify connect or ability to connect apple music
Yes, the Node is Roon ready. It has a decent built in DAC but can offload to an external one if required.

The only use for the BluOS app is controlling settings. For music streaming (either local or from a service) the app is garbage. Better to use the native apps for Spotify Connect
From what I've read, the app is the closest thing to a Roon subscription without spending big bucks.

From what I've read, the app is the closest thing to a Roon subscription without spending big bucks.
It’s kinda crazy no other streamer has invested much to make their UI/app better but I guess it’s such a niche audience…Roon rules if you have a large library of downloaded files and streaming. I’m really surprised at how much I enjoy using it.

Sadly no. You're in the market for bookshelf speakers right?

Yes, bookshelves. But I really like my Mordaunt-Shorts too, so I'm sending out feelers mostly.... but I think I'm due for a change. I like the look, size and idea of the Wharfedale Denton 85's for my purposes, so they have my attention.

It’s kinda crazy no other streamer has invested much to make their UI/app better but I guess it’s such a niche audience…Roon rules if you have a large library of downloaded files and streaming. I’m really surprised at how much I enjoy using it.
I know Plex (paid version) streams Tidal plus your local files, but does not combine them like Roon.

Sonos really is a very good app as far as the built in ones go. PS Audio are building an app that looks a lot like roon tbh but their gear isn’t cheap and they take forever to develop their products/software!

Yes, bookshelves. But I really like my Mordaunt-Shorts too, so I'm sending out feelers mostly.... but I think I'm due for a change. I like the look, size and idea of the Wharfedale Denton 85's for my purposes, so they have my attention.
What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?

Back