The Colemine Records rabbit hole

I've seen mentions of Allen Toussaint as a reference and I'm intrigued to explore.
recommendations? expertise?

The album "Southern Nights" is phenomenal.... I wonder if it ever got a good repress, as I ended up springing for an original because only 4MWB or Plain was offering a current pressing. "From a Whisper to a Scream" is also quite good, but "Southern Nights" will allow you to hear the clear influence on Neal's music and it's a top notch cohesive album from start to finish.

So I received the 4 Colemine records a little over a week ago.

Finally had a chance to play through all of them and as expected, they are superb.

Here's a little blurb on each.

Harlem Gospel Travelers : I enjoyed this a lot more than I though I would. Very funky gospel. This is exactly why I buy Colemine releases blindly now...

IMG_0078.JPG

Neil Francis "Changes" : Lives up to the hype from everyone on this thread. Rock & soul perfection. Will stay on rotation for a long time.

IMG_0097.JPG

Sure Fire Soul Ensemble "Build Bridges" : I've always been a fan of El Michels, The Explorers and similar instrumental soul-funk bands on Desco, Daptone, Soul Fire, Truth & Soul and Big Crown. Been coming back to this a lot over the last week. I'm a sucker for that opening Roy Ayers cover from "Coffy".

IMG_0098.JPG

GA-20 "Lonely Soul" : I'm sticking to my impression that this is in the vein of the first Black Keys LP and their low-fi blues rock. A little more blues than rock compared to "The Big Come Up", though, to be sure. This is meant to be a compliment. Will need to spend a little more time with this LP but I very much enjoyed my play-through.

IMG_0099.JPG

is this the same Black Pumas 7" VMP had?

Was just coming in to post the same thing haha. Probably going to pick this and the signed Cream pre-order up! $12 for a 7" is tough though haha

Back