The Colemine Records rabbit hole

Turbo

So I know many of you are big fans of Colemine records. I'm just starting down the rabbit hole myself and thought you guys might help me continue.

I have the Durand Jones from VMP. I finally succeeded in tracking down a Soul Slabs Vol. 2 box from RSD - that should arrive tomorrow if tracking is correct. Been listening to the tracks on Spotify and they're totally up my alley. I was a big fan of the Poets & Rhythm crew and of Soul Fire records back in the day and continued along with Daptone, Truth & Soul and Big Crown. I ended up pre-ordering the Black Pumas (ATO version) and picked up the Soul Slabs Vol. 1 (black) and Kelly Finnigan (red) from Amazon.ca. Unfortunately I was too slow on the Barbara Howard at VMP. Another I'm eyeing is the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio LP.

What else is essential? What do you guys like? Also, post pics if you have nice colored version.

So I know many of you are big fans of Colemine records. I'm just starting down the rabbit hole myself and thought you guys might help me continue.

I have the Durand Jones from VMP. I finally succeeded in tracking down a Soul Slabs Vol. 2 box from RSD - that should arrive tomorrow if tracking is correct. Been listening to the tracks on Spotify and they're totally up my alley. I was a big fan of the Poets & Rhythm crew and of Soul Fire records back in the day and continued along with Daptone, Truth & Soul and Big Crown. I ended up pre-ordering the Black Pumas (ATO version) and picked up the Soul Slabs Vol. 1 (black) and Kelly Finnigan (red) from Amazon.ca. Unfortunately I was too slow on the Barbara Howard at VMP. Another I'm eyeing is the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio LP.

What else is essential? What do you guys like? Also, post pics if you have nice colored version.
Delvon Lamarr for SUREEEEEEE! Both records are fire.

It’s all good. It’s also all available to stream if you can’t decide. I really dig the Postales Soundtrack though.

The Gloria Barnes is essential though and if they have either of their Lee Moses sclusies, grab those. If not, grab them anyhow. Speaking of hey @Plaid Room / Colemine have all the new Lee Moses shipped? because I see people spinning it but haven’t gotten a shipping notice.

It’s all good. It’s also all available to stream if you can’t decide. I really dig the Postales Soundtrack though.

The Gloria Barnes is essential though and if they have either of their Lee Moses sclusies, grab those. If not, grab them anyhow. Speaking of hey @Plaid Room / Colemine have all the new Lee Moses shipped? because I see people spinning it but haven’t gotten a shipping notice.

Oh, I just read that Postales soundtrack is from members of Menehan Street Band and Budos Band. The few tracks I just heard are great.

Last year when I got Volume 1 of the soul slabs box set at RSD they were giving away a few 45’s for free with the purchase. I never even looked em up on Discogs.

any EU people has identified any way to order from colemine with some kind of savings on their horrible shipping costs?
not even combining records reduce the awful costs, since they actually calculate the shipping per individual record....
I processed the order for 2 records and was facing 40 USD for shipping (standard).
My response was, thanks but no thanks.

any EU people has identified any way to order from colemine with some kind of savings on their horrible shipping costs?
not even combining records reduce the awful costs, since they actually calculate the shipping per individual record....
I processed the order for 2 records and was facing 40 USD for shipping (standard).
I thought someone was buying from Juno maybe?

Cannot recommend Orgone - Undercover Mixtape enough.

Cannot recommend Orgone - Undercover Mixtape enough.

I'm already pretty much sold on that one, actually. Played a few of the tracks already and quite enjoy. I'm going to do a complete play through on streaming but I'm almost certain I'm pulling the trigger on it.

As an aside, it's nice to see that Orgone is still around. I have a pretty solid 12" cover of George McRae's "I Get Lifted" of theirs from 2007.

I hadn't noticed they were still putting out music until recently.

It’s kinda not their fault. Shipping to Europe from the US is mad expensive right now. I shipped out one LP to England yesterday, just regular air mail, and it was $26. Bonkers!

Still working through 'em. The bulk of them should be shipping this week. We had a few go out a bit early due to combined shipments, etc. But shipping crew is in all week packing boxes.

Hey there, extremely sorry for the shipping costs. I need to make this part of the FAQ, because I end up typing it so much. We DO NOT calculate shipping per individual record, it is combined weights. If it appears that we are not combining, it's usually because each LP bumps you up into a new shipping category. Our LPs weigh roughly 1 lb per. The shipping tiers are broken down by 1lb, so each LP bumps you into a new category. For overseas folks, I HIGHLY recommend Juno or HHV. They almost always receive copies of the limited colored vinyl and usually have very reasonable prices.

We're not out to make money on shipping. These aren't our awful costs, they are the costs we pay to USPS. To give you a bit more detail (maybe too much), we actually lose money each year shipping. Last year it was somewhere between $8,000 and $12,000. And that's not even factoring in paying someone's salary to ship those LPs all year. I'm not complaining, but just trying to give you some perspective. We're a small company. We cannot get cheaper shipping rates. I have tried, believe me. I've talked to every shipping company, freight forwarder, etc. The reality is, we don't spend enough on shipping per year for anyone to care about our business. My shipping costs this year will likely total somewhere between $125,000 and $150,000, which is, in the grand scheme of things, a drop in the bucket. So, we pay the USPS rates, because that's the best we can get. Sorry if I'm too wordy here, your comment just made me feel like you thought we were trying to screw folks over, and I want to make sure you know that's not the case at all.

Cheers,
Bob @ Colemine

And
Hey there, extremely sorry for the shipping costs. I need to make this part of the FAQ, because I end up typing it so much. We DO NOT calculate shipping per individual record, it is combined weights. If it appears that we are not combining, it's usually because each LP bumps you up into a new shipping category. Our LPs weigh roughly 1 lb per. The shipping tiers are broken down by 1lb, so each LP bumps you into a new category. For overseas folks, I HIGHLY recommend Juno or HHV. They almost always receive copies of the limited colored vinyl and usually have very reasonable prices.

We're not out to make money on shipping. These aren't our awful costs, they are the costs we pay to USPS. To give you a bit more detail (maybe too much), we actually lose money each year shipping. Last year it was somewhere between $8,000 and $12,000. And that's not even factoring in paying someone's salary to ship those LPs all year. I'm not complaining, but just trying to give you some perspective. We're a small company. We cannot get cheaper shipping rates. I have tried, believe me. I've talked to every shipping company, freight forwarder, etc. The reality is, we don't spend enough on shipping per year for anyone to care about our business. My shipping costs this year will likely total somewhere between $125,000 and $150,000, which is, in the grand scheme of things, a drop in the bucket. So, we pay the USPS rates, because that's the best we can get. Sorry if I'm too wordy here, your comment just made me feel like you thought we were trying to screw folks over, and I want to make sure you know that's not the case at all.

Cheers,
Bob @ Colemine
this is why I like THIS forum!
It allows for small labels to discuss issues directly with consumers.
Bob, thanks for your very clear response. I’ll make my way to HHV to see what I can grab!

Cheers,
Bob @ Colemine

Hi Bob - while you're on the subject, what online store would you recommend for Canadians? Amazon does seem to have a few Colemine LPs. Anywhere else? Thanks so much for reaching out.

If you like Kellys Finnigan, grab his work with the Monophonics.

Hi Bob - while you're on the subject, what online store would you recommend for Canadians? Amazon does seem to have a few Colemine LPs. Anywhere else? Thanks so much for reaching out.
My knowledge of online Canadian stores probably isn't as good as it should be. Assuming there isn't any chains or big online shops like Turntable Lab, Bull Moose, or Amoeba? Are you strictly looking for online stores, or do you have a local shop? My recommendation is always to find a local shop if possible.

My knowledge of online Canadian stores probably isn't as good as it should be. Assuming there isn't any chains or big online shops like Turntable Lab, Bull Moose, or Amoeba? Are you strictly looking for online stores, or do you have a local shop? My recommendation is always to find a local shop if possible.

There are a few local stores in Ottawa that I can get to. I don't get to them as often as I'd like to since they're out of my way, but I usually go once every month or so. I'll definitely look for your records next time I'm there. I hit 33 Tours when I'm in Montreal, but that tends to be only 1-2 times a year these days.

I do shop at the big US online stores but shipping can be high so alternatives are welcome (and places like Bull Moose doesn't ship up here).

Back