The Blue Note Thread

This week Blue Note confirmed the signing of Chilean saxofonist Melissa Aldana, whose debut with the label, entitled "12 Stars" will be out March 4. You can check out the first teaser bellow, and vinyl preorders are already up on the Blue Note website. I can hear some of Immanuel Wilkins in her melodic sensibility, while still having a distinct and personal sound.

If you want more of her music I suggest checking her last album "Visions", which features Joel Ross, and is available for purchase on Bandcamp:

Just listened to the First Flight To Tokyo records. I'm not usually a live jazz recordings connoisseur but that was done really well. Sounds great. Loved the intros. Haven't even gotten into the booklet that came with it. Great job by Blue Note.

This week Blue Note confirmed the signing of Chilean saxofonist Melissa Aldana, whose debut with the label, entitled "12 Stars" will be out March 4. You can check out the first teaser bellow, and vinyl preorders are already up on the Blue Note website. I can hear some of Immanuel Wilkins in her melodic sensibility, while still having a distinct and personal sound.

If you want more of her music I suggest checking her last album "Visions", which features Joel Ross, and is available for purchase on Bandcamp:

I really enjoyed the first track (Qobuz) -- happy to see it getting a release. Thanks for sharing!

I guess it was inevitable, but yeah it still sucks. uDiscover emailed me a 20% off coupon randomly so I went ahead and pre-ordered Sonny Red.

But outside of sales it’s going to be harder to pull the trigger on these going forward unless I REALLY want them.
they will always be on sale for at least 20% off from Udiscover. Pretty sure there’s an eternal 20% off coupon code there

Great! Am I alone in thinking Nigeria's "It Ain't Necessarily So" is one of the finest jazz performances on record? The band is on fire and you can hear their joy as they play.
I have it in digital on this set it will be nice to have on wax one day. I will give it a listen tomorrow.

1642392240834.png

Here is a next "unoffical" list of Blue Note Tone Poets that has been collated from teased info from Joe in one way or another:
  1. Andrew Hill - Dance With Death
  2. Chet Baker - Sings and Plays
  3. Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural
  4. Sonny Clark Trio
  5. Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance
  6. Herbie Nichols Trio
  7. McCoy Tyner - Extensions
  8. Lou Donaldson - Midnight Creeper
  9. Donald Byrd - Slow Drag
  10. Carmell Jones - The Remarkable
  11. Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska
  12. Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds
  13. Elvin Jones - Poly-Currents
  14. Lee Morgan - Infinity
  15. McCoy Tyner - Time for Tyner
Lots of bangers here. Poly-Currents is fantastic! I have been looking for a nice copy of that recently.

Here is a next "unoffical" list of Blue Note Tone Poets that has been collated from teased info from Joe in one way or another:
  4. Sonny Clark Trio
  6. Herbie Nichols Trio

Thanks for posting this! I wish they'd do Something Personal by Jack Wilson instead of Easterly Winds. Easterly is good, but Something Personal is a masterpiece.

4. Sonny Clark Trio
  6. Herbie Nichols Trio

Still waiting on Anthony Williams - Life Time.

As much as I liked the Tony Williams Tribute album in the Blue Note Review Vol. 2, I would have rather they included Life Time. Or both.

Back