The Blue Note Thread

Great! Am I alone in thinking Nigeria's "It Ain't Necessarily So" is one of the finest jazz performances on record? The band is on fire and you can hear their joy as they play.
I agree! Nigeria is my favorite Tone Poet re-release. I hunted for many weeks to find a copy that was not marked up to high heaven, expecting an eventual repress. Glad to hear the repress is imminent; it seemed boorish to find new copies priced like Music Matters reissues.

Bought my first Music Matters blue note pressing.

45rpm version of Dexter Gordon’s Doin’ Alright. A relative bargain at $50.
congrats...but don't fret, I have a bunch of them and really don't overpay...not sure where you are in your Jazz collection, but unless there are specific titles that you must have TPs are so close to the MMJ product - and even the classics are pretty fantastic...

congrats...but don't fret, I have a bunch of them and really don't overpay...not sure where you are in your Jazz collection, but unless there are specific titles that you must have TPs are so close to the MMJ product - and even the classics are pretty fantastic...
I just want a MM pressing of:

Cannonball Adderly's Something Else
Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil
Horace Silver's Songs for My Father (although let's see if the classics pressing does enough to sate my desire for a good pressing of this album)
Art Blakey's Moanin'

Basically the Blue Note Mount Rushmore.

I have a good chunk of the Yoshida Blue Note 75 releases because they were dirt cheap on Amazon when they liquidated stock. But they leave so much to be desired.

I just want a MM pressing of:

Cannonball Adderly's Something Else
Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil
Horace Silver's Songs for My Father (although let's see if the classics pressing does enough to sate my desire for a good pressing of this album)
Art Blakey's Moanin'

Basically the Blue Note Mount Rushmore.

I have a good chunk of the Yoshida Blue Note 75 releases because they were dirt cheap on Amazon when they liquidated stock. But they leave so much to be desired.
All these are available as Blue Note classic, and honestly for the price they are fantastic. Moanin' is maybe not on par compared to the others but still sounds great.

Bought my first Music Matters blue note pressing.

45rpm version of Dexter Gordon’s Doin’ Alright. A relative bargain at $50.
I’m probably too lazy to be a true audiophile because I can’t get into 45 rpm LPs. I have purchased a couple and found the audio quality to be somewhat better than the 33’s, but I can’t stand having to play 4 sides of a 2 sided original release. I sometimes get sideways with regular releases that are two discs.

Perhaps I should get my old Garrard changer working after all…

:oops: Wow - things must be loosening up in the supply chain. That't a couple of dozen Classics titles. Now, how about some of those early Tone Poets?
some say Sold Out/Shipping 1/25/22 ??
*EDIT*, I see now, about 3/4 or so of page 1 seems repressed and available now ? There are some good ones I need there, but it would wreck my want list for a month! :rolleyes:

Anyone who pays attention to Joe Harley's Instagram (as everyone should) knows he will reply sometimes to comments asking about future releases and this is a great source of hints. I was surprised to see him hinting at Points of Departure coming as a Tone Poet since that was a Music Matters. He even replies to other people in that same post that MM already did something so it won't be a Tone Poet (but maybe a Classic).
Screenshot_20220123-131424_Gallery.jpg

Elsewhere in this post he basically tells us Andrew Hill - Dance with Death is definitely coming. Also a Carmell Jones record is coming and he alludes to possibly Larry Young - Mothership in thr future.

Edit: since I'm going around the internet trolling for Joe Harley hints I figure I'll consolidate them here...

Jackie McLean Let Freedom Ring and Action, Action, Action - "I would say there's an excellent chance of both of them eventually getting released"

Hank Mobley A Slice of the Top is "on the extend list...we'll get there"

Lee Morgan - Infinity "this has already been mastered for the Tone Poet series"

Those are all from Harley's IG and a couple Facebook groups he is in. I haven't waded into the Hoffman forum threads in a while, but I know someone posted a list here a little bit ago that they had compiled so I won't bother.

Last edited:
Anyone who pays attention to Joe Harley's Instagram (as everyone should) knows he will reply sometimes to comments asking about future releases and this is a great source of hints. I was surprised to see him hinting at Points of Departure coming as a Tone Poet since that was a Music Matters. He even replies to other people in that same post that MM already did something so it won't be a Tone Poet (but maybe a Classic).
View attachment 126066

Elsewhere in this post he basically tells us Andrew Hill - Dance with Death is definitely coming. Also a Carmell Jones record is coming and he alludes to possibly Larry Young - Mothership in thr future.

Edit: since I'm going around the internet trolling for Joe Harley hints I figure I'll consolidate them here...

Jackie McLean Let Freedom Ring and Action, Action, Action - "I would say there's an excellent chance of both of them eventually getting released"

Hank Mobley A Slice of the Top is "on the extend list...we'll get there"

Lee Morgan - Infinity "this has already been mastered for the Tone Poet series"

Those are all from Harley's IG and a couple Facebook groups he is in. I haven't waded into the Hoffman forum threads in a while, but I know someone posted a list here a little bit ago that they had compiled so I won't bother.
So happy about the Lee Morgan, its one that I dont have and cant bring myself to pay silly money for it. Plus the original had that crappy cover art from their 80's run.

Back