The Blue Note Thread

Not as good as the Tone Poets, but still good. The BN 80/Classics series were meant to be more of a cheaper option but still the quality is high. Other than a few pressings issues, they have been good quality.
Excellent. I got a bunch of 2014 75th anniversary pressings (Yoshida mastered). The mastering isn’t terrible for stuff sourced from digital files but the pressings are a mess. I want to upgrade.

Excellent. I got a bunch of 2014 75th anniversary pressings (Yoshida mastered). The mastering isn’t terrible for stuff sourced from digital files but the pressings are a mess. I want to upgrade.
I'd consider any Tone Poet/BN80 or Classic to be an upgrade. The 80/Classic jackets are thin, but the art is spot on. The TPs are downright luxurious.

If anyone has a spare $375 sitting around, this is a great deal. Wonder how much he would be trying to sell it for if it was still sealed?

If anyone has a spare $375 sitting around, this is a great deal. Wonder how much he would be trying to sell it for if it was still sealed?

This is one of four SRX titles I bought before deciding I was good with my non-SRX set. Blue Train, A Night in Tunisia, and Song for My Father are the other three, iirc.

Last day of the Blue Note online store sale.

Vinyl is 20% off. I got Lee Morgan’s The Cooker (Tone Poet) and Horace Silver’s landmark, Songs for My Father (Classic Edition)

Free shipping for orders over $80.

I thought this might interest some of you, a recent acquisition that is the UK pressing of the Blue Note 10". Both were released around the same time, just a few months apart but the Blue Note being 1954 and the UK pressing being 1955. I might be biased here but I actually prefer the artwork for the UK pressing. I have added a photo of the US release for comparrison.

IMG_2949 2.JPG
R-5627682-1484162360-8614.jpeg.jpg

Last day of the Blue Note online store sale.

Vinyl is 20% off. I got Lee Morgan’s The Cooker (Tone Poet) and Horace Silver’s landmark, Songs for My Father (Classic Edition)

Free shipping for orders over $80.

I got $80+ in the cart and BN still wants to charge me shipping. Did I miss a code or something?

I didn’t see a code. The info for the offer is on their landing page.
Maybe pre-orders aren't eligible. I dumped my cart and tried again. I had $100+ in and still charges me shipping. I know the landing page says some restrictions apply ... but they don't tell you the restrictions anywhere. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe pre-orders aren't eligible. I dumped my cart and tried again. I had $100+ in and still charges me shipping. I know the landing page says some restrictions apply ... but they don't tell you the restrictions anywhere. 🤷‍♂️
That seems to be the case. I added only in-stock titles and came up free shipping. Oh well.

I thought this might interest some of you, a recent acquisition that is the UK pressing of the Blue Note 10". Both were released around the same time, just a few months apart but the Blue Note being 1954 and the UK pressing being 1955. I might be biased here but I actually prefer the artwork for the UK pressing. I have added a photo of the US release for comparrison.

View attachment 124362
View attachment 124363
Any cover that has a dog on it is the best version.

anchorman-science.gif

FYI: Doug @ Paladin @Ethos99 has a couple Ornette Coleman Blue Note Box Sets left for a great price. Visit the Paladin Buyers Club thread over in the MISC sub forum for more.

Here is a next "unoffical" list of Blue Note Tone Poets that has been collated from teased info from Joe in one way or another:
  1. Andrew Hill - Dance With Death
  2. Chet Baker - Sings and Plays
  3. Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural
  4. Sonny Clark Trio
  5. Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance
  6. Herbie Nichols Trio
  7. McCoy Tyner - Extensions
  8. Lou Donaldson - Midnight Creeper
  9. Donald Byrd - Slow Drag
  10. Carmell Jones - The Remarkable
  11. Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska
  12. Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds
  13. Elvin Jones - Poly-Currents
  14. Lee Morgan - Infinity
  15. McCoy Tyner - Time for Tyner

Here is a next "unoffical" list of Blue Note Tone Poets that has been collated from teased info from Joe in one way or another:
  1. Andrew Hill - Dance With Death
  2. Chet Baker - Sings and Plays
  3. Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural
  4. Sonny Clark Trio
  5. Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance
  6. Herbie Nichols Trio
  7. McCoy Tyner - Extensions
  8. Lou Donaldson - Midnight Creeper
  9. Donald Byrd - Slow Drag
  10. Carmell Jones - The Remarkable
  11. Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska
  12. Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds
  13. Elvin Jones - Poly-Currents
  14. Lee Morgan - Infinity
  15. McCoy Tyner - Time for Tyner
I would be in for Jackie McLean, McCoy's Extensions and Odyssey of Iska (such an underrated album!). The rest I would have to stream and see if something grabs my attention enough for me to buy them.

View attachment 124362
View attachment 124363
eBay: Anyone looking for a NM Toshiba pressing for $60?

Back