The Blue Note Thread

Is this just a super fucking long Lee Morgan album? I’m confused 12 LPs?
I think it was originally released as a 2xLP but it is a live album that was recorded over several days. I'm guessing there were a lot more live recordings made so that are going to release more from that.

Is this just a super fucking long Lee Morgan album? I’m confused 12 LPs?

I think it was originally released as a 2xLP but it is a live album that was recorded over several days. I'm guessing there were a lot more live recordings made so that are going to release more from that.
Ok so im a HUGE Lee Morgan fan and almost have all of his albums (plus a lot of obsurities).

Two of the records which I love to recommend to people (and have done so on here a few times) are really obscure ones titled 'All That Jazz' and 'See Autumn'. The story goes that Morgan booked a performance in San Francisco at the 'Both / And Club', in the summer of June 1970 as a warm-up session. The importance of this date is that shortly after this session Morgan travelled down to Hermosa Beach to play at the Lighthouse Club as part of the short residency, the recording of which would be released as 'Live At The Lighthouse'. His gig at the Both / And club was recorded professionally for FM radio, and was played in full over the remainder of the summer, meaning this is better quality than a bootlegged/amateur recording.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 12lp set takes these recordings from the Lighthouse warm-up and releases them properly for the first time. I could see it working really well as a precursor LP/s before we really get stuck into the Lighthouse session.

If it's Joe Harley, that means it will be a Tone Poet release? a 12LP Tone Poet will be awesome, just hope it is a reasonable price.
Not necessarily. There were a few hour+ long interviews with Zev Feldman on the lead up to Black Friday. I watched most of them and in every one he emphasised that he works as an independent contractor, and has a big project for Blue Note coming soon. It could very well be that he's working with Joe as a side project, alongside his work for Resonance and Joe's work with the Tone Poets. He has also been working on a series of digital compilation's/playlists for Blue Note, the first of which was recently released.

This is cool and all, but I just hope they release a standard 2LP too. I really like Live at the Lighthouse and would love to add it to my collection, but I don't know if I like it enough to splurge that much money and shelf real state for it.

Same! It's great to see the whole show finally released but 12 LP (so 24 sides? I'll break my back getting up of my chair every 15 minutes) is a bit too much for me :p

Got my copies and listened to the the first two in the classics series and I'm blown away.

As ashamed as I am to admit it, I havent heard alot of these yet. Alot of my jazz listening is Vinyl and the majority of my Blue note listening is Tone Poets, BN80, APs, VMPs, etc. I couldnt bring myself to buy MMJ releases except for Blue Train because of the ridiculous price point so I was more than happy listening to the others.

I can tell why these are the crown jewels, and they sounds so damn good. I'm not saying MMJ don't sound better (I'm sure they do), but I can't imagine they sound 3-5x better when comparing prices.

I'm all in on this Classics series and can't wait for the upcoming releases (also very glad about the standard covers. Love those Blue Note tip ons, but my shelves can't handle another series of thick gatefolds).

Got my copies and listened to the the first two in the classics series and I'm blown away.

As ashamed as I am to admit it, I havent heard alot of these yet. Alot of my jazz listening is Vinyl and the majority of my Blue note listening is Tone Poets, BN80, APs, VMPs, etc. I couldnt bring myself to buy MMJ releases except for Blue Train because of the ridiculous price point so I was more than happy listening to the others.

I can tell why these are the crown jewels, and they sounds so damn good. I'm not saying MMJ don't sound better (I'm sure they do), but I can't imagine they sound 3-5x better when comparing prices.

I'm all in on this Classics series and can't wait for the upcoming releases (also very glad about the standard covers. Love those Blue Note tip ons, but my shelves can't handle another series of thick gatefolds).
Good to hear you're liking the Classics, if you like Sidewinder then be sure to check out Candy by Lee Morgan and also Moanin' (originally titled Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers) :cool:

These Classics releases are phenomenal!
Yes, the jackets leave a lot to be desired,
but the music itself sounds incredible!
I’m tempted to say this Sidewinder sounds as good as my AP 45rpm press.
Will have to do that side by side comparison at some point.

Well, I’ll double dip for any of them at this point now.
Did for these first two and don’t regret it at all.
Thanks Blue Note.

These Classics releases are phenomenal!
Yes, the jackets leave a lot to be desired,
but the music itself sounds incredible!
I’m tempted to say this Sidewinder sounds as good as my AP 45rpm press.
Will have to do that side by side comparison at some point.

Well, I’ll double dip for any of them at this point now.
Did for these first two and don’t regret it at all.
Thanks Blue Note.
Yeah, I spun the Real McCoy today and it was phenomenal. One of the dirtiest records and most staticky ever thanks to the cheap paper inner but whatever, still sounded fantastic.

Back