The Blue Note Thread

Got my uDisover Grant Green ALIVE! last night. I got to say, I think A Time To Remember may be one of the most cathartic jazz songs I’ve ever heard. Absolutely grabs a hold of me. The drums on it in particular are what make it for me, can’t help but ride through it the entire time. Shouts out Idris Muhammad!

On another note, I’m really crossing my fingers that Joe Pass’ “For Django” gets confirmed as a TP for next year. That is going to sound absolutely incredible. What a lovely album, just threw it on a whim and it’s exactly what I needed today. Incredibly relaxing.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Love that Grant Green tune. Every time I listen to it, I end up playing it like 3 times in a row. And I love the people shouting in the crowd. Just utter joy!

Target gave me the option to move the Tina Brooks. I'd imagine it will ultimately be cancelled. I may take advantage of the UDiscover sale for it. Actually, I had a $10 reward with UDiscover because of the other Blue Notes I bought last month. So it came to $15.

Target gave me the option to move the Tina Brooks. I'd imagine it will ultimately be cancelled. I may take advantage of the UDiscover sale for it.
I might do that, or just go hit up the local. They usually have them for around $27/28.

Kinda tempted to just order the remaining pre-orders I have from Target through uDiscover. Are they more reliable than Target on this sorta thing?

First two Classic releases are out today! Do y'all think McCoy will sell out soon? I definitely want to grab it, but I've spent a bit more than I should during the last month. It would be great if I could hold on until January, and possibly pick it up along with Speak No Evil then.

First two Classic releases are out today! Do y'all think McCoy will sell out soon? I definitely want to grab it, but I've spent a bit more than I should during the last month. It would be great if I could hold on until January, and possibly pick it up along with Speak No Evil then.
I’m thinking these will be pressed indefinitely so even if the first batch sells out it will be repressed. From the looks of it, it won’t sell out any time soon. I could definitely be wrong though.

Kinda tempted to just order the remaining pre-orders I have from Target through uDiscover. Are they more reliable than Target on this sorta thing?
yes and no. They'll usually end up with them, but it could be months and will hold up whatever else is in the order. Worth a shot though if it says in stock.

I've had good luck with Target. My first two BN Classics that I ordered from them on November 6 are scheduled to be delivered today. But my Nina Simone - I Put a Spell on You is still on backorder. (It hasn't been canceled yet; I got my last accept-this-delay email this morning, and clicked the button.)

I've had a lot of delayed records through Target, but I only had one canceled: Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker. I contacted customer support, and they told me to sign up on the item page to be notified when it was back in stock and to reach out to customer service again when I got an email. They honored the sale price. (I can't remember if they adjusted the price while it was in my cart or if I had to order it and they immediately refunded me the discount; either way, they took care of me through chat while I placed the order.) That was a bit of a pain, but I was glad they were so helpful.

I've also ordered too much from uDiscover. I've experienced the same long delays others have talked about, and dealing with their customer service is a very prolonged process as opposed to the live chat you can have with Target. Still, I've received every record I've ordered from them. And now that shipping is free, I always place preorders separately.

In the end, I've been pretty happy placing orders from both places. My first Tone Note purchase was Wayne Shorter from AcousticSounds for $34.99 (a little cheaper with a 10 percent off coupon, but still) back in March 2019. I thought it was amazing and was ready to start shelling out that much regularly. But now I buy most of them for about $20 through Target and uDiscover sales. I find I'm willing to pay more than that only for the ones at the very top of my list.

I've had good luck with Target. My first two BN Classics that I ordered from them on November 6 are scheduled to be delivered today. But my Nina Simone - I Put a Spell on You is still on backorder. (It hasn't been canceled yet; I got my last accept-this-delay email this morning, and clicked the button.)

I've had a lot of delayed records through Target, but I only had one canceled: Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker. I contacted customer support, and they told me to sign up on the item page to be notified when it was back in stock and to reach out to customer service again when I got an email. They honored the sale price. (I can't remember if they adjusted the price while it was in my cart or if I had to order it and they immediately refunded me the discount; either way, they took care of me through chat while I placed the order.) That was a bit of a pain, but I was glad they were so helpful.

I've also ordered too much from uDiscover. I've experienced the same long delays others have talked about, and dealing with their customer service is a very prolonged process as opposed to the live chat you can have with Target. Still, I've received every record I've ordered from them. And now that shipping is free, I always place preorders separately.

In the end, I've been pretty happy placing orders from both places. My first Tone Note purchase was Wayne Shorter from AcousticSounds for $34.99 (a little cheaper with a 10 percent off coupon, but still) back in March 2019. I thought it was amazing and was ready to start shelling out that much regularly. But now I buy most of them for about $20 through Target and uDiscover sales. I find I'm willing to pay more than that only for the ones at the very top of my list.
Thanks! In the same boat about the Nina, and just had the Byrd canceled, which is why I'm worried about the rest of my pre-orders. But I'll probably keep them for now.

Still no update on 2021 Tone Poet releases? IIRC they were suppose to announce the names early December.

Back