The Blue Note Thread

Anyone get The Sidewinder BN Classic Series yet? Mine shipped and should be here early next week.
So, my copy of Sidewinder just showed up. I haven't listened yet, still working.

It comes in a basic jacket like the BN80s. Hype sticker says, mastered by Kevin Gray from original tapes and pressed at Optimal in Germany. All stuff we know already. The record is in a basic paper sleeve, not poly-lined, and there is no insert. Basically the same as the BN80s.

The pressing is flat and clean. Looks perfect! Was a pain getting it out of the paper sleeve due to static. I'm gonna clean it after work, then give it a spin. Looks like it'll be as good as the BN80s overall. Wish they would have used poly sleeves though.

So, my copy of Sidewinder just showed up. I haven't listened yet, still working.

It comes in a basic jacket like the BN80s. Hype sticker says, mastered by Kevin Gray from original tapes and pressed at Optimal in Germany. All stuff we know already. The record is in a basic paper sleeve, not poly-lined, and there is no insert. Basically the same as the BN80s.

The pressing is flat and clean. Looks perfect! Was a pain getting it out of the paper sleeve due to static. I'm gonna clean it after work, then give it a spin. Looks like it'll be as good as the BN80s overall. Wish they would have used poly sleeves though.
Thanks for the report! Sounds great. And of all the things that might be less than optimal, the sleeve is an easy fix!

Thanks for the report! Sounds great. And of all the things that might be less than optimal, the sleeve is an easy fix
Listening now. Dead silent vinyl. Flat and centered pressing. Really nice mix/mastering. Not too bright, well balanced. Hi hats sparkle.

Can't imagine this could sound much better. Especially not at $20-$25.

Has me even more stoked for the rest of the Classics in 2021!

Listening now. Dead silent vinyl. Flat and centered pressing. Really nice mix/mastering. Not too bright, well balanced. Hi hats sparkle.

So glad to hear it - this and the Real McCoy should be arriving tomorrow

Still waiting in the UK to receive mine... The Blue Note store has it as `sold out` with a release date of 11th Dec.

Really pleased these sound decent, hope you're enjoying it and thanks for the update!

Agreed with everything @zdkaiser said. You do need some patience to get the record out of the sleeve, but after a quick dust-off, it sounds spectacular. I'm pleased I sold off my 1984 French pressing for this one. What's especially notable to my ear is when Joe Henderson enters with his tenor on the title track and the warmth of the bass. Next up, Real McCoy!

Update: Real McCoy is also great. I’d only had the CD before and what stands out on this pressing is Elvin Jones. You can feel the room based on the echo off his cymbal work and even on the ballad he’s great with brushes.

Attachments

• IMG_9383.jpg
    IMG_9383.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Agreed with everything @zdkaiser said. You do need some patience to get the record out of the sleeve, but after a quick dust-off, it sounds spectacular. I'm pleased I sold off my 1984 French pressing for this one. What's especially notable to my ear is when Joe Henderson enters with his tenor on the title track and the warmth of the bass. Next up, Real McCoy!
Totally agree about Henderson's entrance on track 1. It just immediately pops out and sounds incredible. Glad you noticed that as well.

Blue Note website just released the next three Tone Poet release dates (Jan 29) for Paul Chambers- Bass on Top, Lee Morgan- The Rajah, and the Jon Scofield/Path Metheny title. Hope they go up on uDiscover before the sale ends ha!
Pretty sure Target had those titles available for its most recent B2G1F sale; I know I have the Morgan ordered from them. Maybe uDiscover won't be too far behind.

Thanks to remind me of it, just ordered John Scofield & Pat Metheny I Can See Your House From Here! I really love this record 😻
I will see for Paul Chambers & Lee Morgan later on.

Joe Harley shared a couple videos last night on Instagram. On both he seems to be in studios with Keving Gray remastering albums (maybe two future Tone Poet releases?).

First is Stanley Turrentine ‎– Rough 'N Tumble

1607337417670.png

Second is Sonny Red ‎– Out Of The Blue

1607337466788.png

Joe Harley shared a couple videos last night on Instagram. On both he seems to be in studios with Keving Gray remastering albums (maybe two future Tone Poet releases?).

View attachment 79203

View attachment 79204
They sure do love Stanley Turrentine!

The Sonny Red is excellent, that will be a great one to have the TP treatment!

View attachment 79203

View attachment 79204

there’s the Sonny Red clip !

Back