The Blue Note Thread

If anyone living in Belgium is look for Baby Face Willette - Face to Face, there seems to be an accideal on Fnac. They are selling it for 8 euros:

Sadly they only seem to ship in Belgium.

If anyone living in Belgium is look for Baby Face Willette - Face to Face, there seems to be an accideal on Fnac. They are selling it for 8 euros:

Sadly they only seem to ship in Belgium.

WOW thats an outrageously amazing price. Like super amazing.

Could do with some expertise here. I have stumbled across a copy of the 'Ornette Coleman Trio - At The Golden Circle' and im finding it hard to determine which pressing it is. Discogs have a handful listed, but non have the 'Phrase Text Music Pub. Co' under the 'All Compilations by Ornette Coleman' on the label. Anyone have any ideas?

Ornette Coleman At The Golden Circle Stockholm - Volume Two - Liberty Label vinyl LP album (LP record) US ORCLPAT703956

Could do with some expertise here. I have stumbled across a copy of the 'Ornette Coleman Trio - At The Golden Circle' and im finding it hard to determine which pressing it is. Discogs have a handful listed, but non have the 'Phrase Text Music Pub. Co' under the 'All Compilations by Ornette Coleman' on the label. Anyone have any ideas?

Ornette Coleman At The Golden Circle Stockholm - Volume Two - Liberty Label vinyl LP album (LP record) US ORCLPAT703956

Probably this one:

Hmm....maybe you can try to reach out to London Jazz Collector and see what they think about it? Phrase Text was Coleman's own music publishing company. I have seen it on a few other BN pressings such as this one. My guess is that this is a repress because even the title is laid out differently than the other original Liberty Records pressings. The Liberty records pressings seem to say Volume 2 on top and then the artist name and then album title. Is there any other info in the deadwax?

Probably this one:

Hmm....maybe you can try to reach out to London Jazz Collector and see what they think about it? Phrase Text was Coleman's own music publishing company. I have seen it on a few other BN pressings such as this one. My guess is that this is a repress because even the title is laid out differently than the other original Liberty Records pressings. The Liberty records pressings seem to say Volume 2 on top and then the artist name and then album title. Is there any other info in the deadwax?
Cheers guys. I will send a message out to the London Jazz Collector. Very unusual one for sure. Interesting about the Phrase Text being Colemans company, I certainly didn't know that!

On another note. One of my favorite Blue Note releases is Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims, its one that gets streamed a lot. I looked over on discogs and saw very few OG presses actually pop up for sale (the last one was actually this year and went for a reasonable £200 - the rest were labelled incorrects and were in fact reissues). Just went on eBay to gauge an idea of the price any originals go for and saw this.......staggering.

On another note. One of my favorite Blue Note releases is Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims, its one that gets streamed a lot. I looked over on discogs and saw very few OG presses actually pop up for sale (the last one was actually this year and went for a reasonable £200 - the rest were labelled incorrects and were in fact reissues). Just went on eBay to gauge an idea of the price any originals go for and saw this.......staggering.

View attachment 10501
Lucky for you, it will be reissued on October 11th as part of the BN 80th series! I've always eyed this one too. Almost won an OG for a really good price once but was outbid at the last moment.

Lucky for you, it will be reissued on October 11th as part of the BN 80th series! I've always eyed this one too. Almost won an OG for a really good price once but was outbid at the last moment.
I forgot to add that. Its the BN80 release I have been most excited about. I have yet to pick up a BN80 release (I have Johnny Griffin on its way after a winning bid of £7) but have a list of upcoming releases that I have been waiting for!

I forgot to add that. Its the BN80 release I have been most excited about. I have yet to pick up a BN80 release (I have Johnny Griffin on its way after a winning bid of £7) but have a list of upcoming releases that I have been waiting for!
I have the Grant Green BN80th and it sounds really great. WAY better than any of the 75th pressings I had and returned. I think the Jutta is the one I am most excited for too.

Does anyone think ~$100 for a glossy NM- 1971 copy of The All Seeing Eye is a good price? I’m definitely considering it.

Van Gelder stamp.
Discogs has no history of one ever being sold so I’m unsure of a good price range.

Does anyone think ~$100 for a glossy NM- 1971 copy of The All Seeing Eye is a good price? I’m definitely considering it.

Van Gelder stamp.
Discogs has no history of one ever being sold so I’m unsure of a good price range.
Eh...there's a VG+ OG copy with van gelder stampers on discogs right now for $79. Seam split on the bottom. Not sure I'd drop $100 on a UA pressing but that's just me.

Just got the Tone Poet version of Cornbread in from Amazon. Wow.
It’s so so so good. My favourite tone poet so far.

I’ve also just listened to the BN80 release of Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin and I’m pretty impressed with it for the price point. Certainly not as good as the tone poet, but it’s a lot cheaper so it’s all good. I will look into picking a few more up I think.

It’s so so so good. My favourite tone poet so far.

I’ve also just listened to the BN80 release of Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin and I’m pretty impressed with it for the price point. Certainly not as good as the tone poet, but it’s a lot cheaper so it’s all good. I will look into picking a few more up I think.

How would you guys rank the Tone Poets? I've got Corea, Shorter and Morgan. I don't want to buy them all but maybe one or two more.

Depends what you like, I really like the Sam Rivers, and the upcoming Andrew Hill Black Fire is a great album if you like a bit more adventurous jazz, the Joe Henderson a great piano-less trio date and sounds great . . have a preview of the music on youtube or what ever you do that on to see what floats your boat, up to you .
How would you guys rank the Tone Poets? I've got Corea, Shorter and Morgan. I don't want to buy them all but maybe one or two more.

I would go:
Morgan
Corea
Shorter
Rivers
Donaldson
Evans

A lot of that is personal preference to the music though. Im also waiting for 'Baby Face' Willette, Dexter Gordon and Joe Henderson to arrive, with the Kenny Burrell on pre-order. So once they come through im sure it would shake the list up a bit (im really excited for the Baby Face).

The BN80 pressings I have all sound really fantastic. Really main difference between them and the TP is the packaging and the pressing plant used. Mastering is all done the same way. If the TP series is a 9/10 for sound, the BN80 is an 8/10 imo. I really hope Blue Note is selling a ton of these and they just decide to keep putting out more for years to come. I know TP is continuing into 2020 but I hope they keep going with the lower price point stuff too.

My TP order is probably:

Corea
Shorter
Donaldson
Morgan
Rivers
Willette
Henderson
Gordon
Evans

Does anyone have the Cassandra Wilson release? It doesn't really interest me all that much but if it's good I might grab it. even just for completion...

Back