The Blue Note Thread

That's crazy! My LRS doesn't even carry them sadly and looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if they had any of the Tone Poets in stock. I have a Rough Trade near me though and they have them there for about $33 I think.
So based on your $33 approximation that should equate to around £26.30 in pounds. I just checked Rough Trade UK and Lou Donaldson and Joe Henderson are both £34.99 which equates to around $44.

Its outrageous really because I cant see where the mark up comes from (shipping to the UK in bulk wont be that expensive per unit price)

Okay guys I posted this over on the Hoffman forums, but perhaps some people here can also offer me some advice.

I'm planning a big Music Matters order (only way to make the shipping to Europe palatable on a per record price). Currently I'm about $100 over budget and need help choosing which ones to drop. There is a couple of records I'm certainly getting, but a few I'm still in doubt over. Basically I can divide the records I'm still debating into two price groups. One is 35-40 and one is 60. I need to drop one more expensive record and one cheaper record to get on budget.

Cheap ($35-40)
Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk
Elvin Jones - Puttin' It Together
Dizzy Reece - Star Bright
Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Expensive (60)
Grant Green - Solid (SRX)
Hank Mobley - Quintet (SRX)

Is there any of these I can skip for now, for whatever reason? Perhaps there are other good pressings of some of these titles that are readily available or maybe the sonics on one of these is relatively lacking (for Music Matters standards)? Or maybe one or two of these sessions musically don't hold up to the others?

Any help would be appreciated!

Okay guys I posted this over on the Hoffman forums, but perhaps some people here can also offer me some advice.

I'm planning a big Music Matters order (only way to make the shipping to Europe palatable on a per record price). Currently I'm about $100 over budget and need help choosing which ones to drop. There is a couple of records I'm certainly getting, but a few I'm still in doubt over. Basically I can divide the records I'm still debating into two price groups. One is 35-40 and one is 60. I need to drop one more expensive record and one cheaper record to get on budget.

Cheap ($35-40)
Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk
Elvin Jones - Puttin' It Together
Dizzy Reece - Star Bright
Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Expensive (60)
Grant Green - Solid (SRX)
Hank Mobley - Quintet (SRX)

Is there any of these I can skip for now, for whatever reason? Perhaps there are other good pressings of some of these titles that are readily available or maybe the sonics on one of these is relatively lacking (for Music Matters standards)? Or maybe one or two of these sessions musically don't hold up to the others?

Any help would be appreciated!
Wish I could help but I think this might be easier for someone in Europe to answer! I see those "cheap" ones pop up quite a bit in the US for that price all the time, whether they are older pressings or the MM ones.

Yeah that (£33) seems to be the going rate in the UK for the Tone Poets. Myself and a few other based in the UK/Europe have been ordering from Amazon USA, Amazon France, Amazon Italy etc when they pop up at a reasonable price. Unfortunately as much as I would like to support my local shops they are just priced way too high. I saw Cassandra Wilson for £60 in London yesterday...........£60

Did you ever grab Cornbread and Henderson? I noticed all_your_music on ebay have them at decent prices and they're part of their Buy 3 Get 15% Off offer which makes them very reasonable.

Did you ever grab Cornbread and Henderson? I noticed all_your_music on ebay have them at decent prices and they're part of their Buy 3 Get 15% Off offer which makes them very reasonable.

I don't have Henderson (yet!), but Cornbread has been played a lot in my household - soooo good, really enjoying it :)

I want to add that the Classics Jackie McLean - Jackie’s Bag is reduced down to $25, for anyone who may be interested.

Well il be damned that is a good price, thanks! I actually picked them both up for around that just with longer shipping as they came from the US. I will bookmark these guys though, if they end up selling more in the future I will be all over it!

Well il be damned that is a good price, thanks! I actually picked them both up for around that just with longer shipping as they came from the US. I will bookmark these guys though, if they end up selling more in the future I will be all over it!

These come from the States too, usually takes around 2 weeks. Never have any issues with customs though, they seem to land wholesale in the UK somewhere and then get reshipped. Been using them for years, very dependable.

I didn’t even know Van Gelder worked on the Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack until recently. Makes perfect sense now tho.
Very cool.

I just learned yesterday that he was also involved with Classical releases but is stamped as Dr. Rudolph Van Gelder In The deadwax.

Love the more informal Rudy Van Gelder for Jazz releases. Cool, cool, cool.

Back