The Blue Note Thread

The BN80 pressings I have all sound really fantastic. Really main difference between them and the TP is the packaging and the pressing plant used. Mastering is all done the same way. If the TP series is a 9/10 for sound, the BN80 is an 8/10 imo. I really hope Blue Note is selling a ton of these and they just decide to keep putting out more for years to come. I know TP is continuing into 2020 but I hope they keep going with the lower price point stuff too.

My TP order is probably:

Corea
Shorter
Donaldson
Morgan
Rivers
Willette
Henderson
Gordon
Evans

Does anyone have the Cassandra Wilson release? It doesn't really interest me all that much but if it's good I might grab it. even just for completion...
I have the Cassandra Wilson. While it is recorded beautifully as an album I find it a little one note and not as strong as some of her other releases. That isn't to say it isn't a good record, but it always leaves me wishing that she'd taken more risks and that the final result felt less trapped in a single idea. To put in perspective, I find the same fault with Sons of Kemet (which is an album that I like and admire, but isn't in my top 10 recommendations of recent jazz) and a few other releases. The Wilson has some great moments, but it strives for a very consistent tone throughout the album and (for me) feels like one idea expressed across a narrow range.

If I was looking at modern vocal jazz -- I'd pick Cecile Mclorin Salvant across any of her releases as a better listening experience and all have been recorded very well and are a good value. For Cassandra Wilson, I think there are better offerings in her catalog -- but I'll certainly play it and don't regret owning it.

I have the Cassandra Wilson. While it is recorded beautifully as an album I find it a little one note and not as strong as some of her other releases. That isn't to say it isn't a good record, but it always leaves me wishing that she'd taken more risks and that the final result felt less trapped in a single idea. To put in perspective, I find the same fault with Sons of Kemet (which is an album that I like and admire, but isn't in my top 10 recommendations of recent jazz) and a few other releases. The Wilson has some great moments, but it strives for a very consistent tone throughout the album and (for me) feels like one idea expressed across a narrow range.

If I was looking at modern vocal jazz -- I'd pick Cecile Mclorin Salvant across any of her releases as a better listening experience and all have been recorded very well and are a good value. For Cassandra Wilson, I think there are better offerings in her catalog -- but I'll certainly play it and don't regret owning it.

I've not heard any of Cecile's stuff but noticed this album on Amazon.Is it worth a purchase?

Dreams & Daggers 3xLP

Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073LZD7BT/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_q54jDb69ACJCM

I've not heard any of Cecile's stuff but noticed this album on Amazon.Is it worth a purchase?

Dreams & Daggers 3xLP

Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073LZD7BT/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_q54jDb69ACJCM
It is an outstanding set of records. Here is a great article on her work as a vocalist

And on the specific set

It is an outstanding set of records. Here is a great article on her work as a vocalist

And on the specific set

Oh, umm, I also bought it for about US$30...

The BN80 pressings I have all sound really fantastic. Really main difference between them and the TP is the packaging and the pressing plant used. Mastering is all done the same way. If the TP series is a 9/10 for sound, the BN80 is an 8/10 imo. I really hope Blue Note is selling a ton of these and they just decide to keep putting out more for years to come. I know TP is continuing into 2020 but I hope they keep going with the lower price point stuff too.

My TP order is probably:

Corea
Shorter
Donaldson
Morgan
Rivers
Willette
Henderson
Gordon
Evans

Does anyone have the Cassandra Wilson release? It doesn't really interest me all that much but if it's good I might grab it. even just for completion...
Leaving out Glasper on the Tone Poet list too? nevermind...forgot that was a BN80...

So far I have Corea, Shorter and Lee Morgan. Baby Face, Andrew Hill and Burrell are on pre-order right now. As for the others, I think I might just get the Joe Henderson but right now it's pretty far down on my list.

Leaving out Glasper on the Tone Poet list too? nevermind...forgot that was a BN80...

So far I have Corea, Shorter and Lee Morgan. Baby Face, Andrew Hill and Burrell are on pre-order right now. As for the others, I think I might just get the Joe Henderson but right now it's pretty far down on my list.
THE JOE HENDERSON IS A CLINIC!!!!

I don’t know what this means but, it’s one of the best of the TPs I’ve listened to so far. Some mesmerising solos and the closing track (title escapes me at the moment) seems so ahead of its time, the drumming is spectacular and reminds me of very modern contemporary jazz. Great stuff, really hope they do Vol.1 too.

And on the specific set

Thanks, took the plunge and ordered it.

haha i know...i know...and I love Henderson too but I've gotten quite a few of his albums lately that I prefer more than this one (Page One AP Press, Our Thing MM Press, In N out MMpress and an older pressing of Mode for Joe). And I gotta spread the love to some other jazz artists!

I don’t know what this means but, it’s one of the best of the TPs I’ve listened to so far. Some mesmerising solos and the closing track (title escapes me at the moment) seems so ahead of its time, the drumming is spectacular and reminds me of very modern contemporary jazz. Great stuff, really hope they do Vol.1 too.
It's just an expression when a talented musician would go to a shop/venue/school and play at a very high level. In many ways -- my exuberance aside -- that's what this album is for me with Joe. He's dialed in with a pair of masters (Ron Carter and Al Foster) and is making a statement that he is one of the very best at his form. It actually isn't my favorite Joe Henderson album -- but for the period, the venue, etc. -- it's a great capture of a man leaning in and putting a stamp on a moment in time. The album's structure (inherent in the title) is his walking be through his mastery.

It's just an expression when a talented musician would go to a shop/venue/school and play at a very high level. In many ways -- my exuberance aside -- that's what this album is for me with Joe. He's dialed in with a pair of masters (Ron Carter and Al Foster) and is making a statement that he is one of the very best at his form. It actually isn't my favorite Joe Henderson album -- but for the period, the venue, etc. -- it's a great capture of a man leaning in and putting a stamp on a moment in time. The album's structure (inherent in the title) is his walking be through his mastery.

After I’d written that, I figured that was what you meant. In a similar vein, I love Max Roach’s Speak Brother, Speak! for the same reasons. Not his best album but the way they take a jam and then break it down into each band member’s parts and just oozing their expert craft is magical, all within a basic Blues structure too. Man, what it must have been like to be in the audience at some of these events.

That reminds me, I haven't given that Glasper album enough attention....

After I’d written that, I figured that was what you meant. In a similar vein, I love Max Roach’s Speak Brother, Speak! for the same reasons. Not his best album but the way they take a jam and then break it down into each band member’s parts and just oozing their expert craft is magical, all within a basic Blues structure too. Man, what it must have been like to be in the audience at some of these events.
This is also core to why I love seeing live jazz so much. The fact that you can be feet away from some of the finest musicians of the form -- often watching them create and innovate directly in front of you at the peak of their game -- for short money is extraordinary. And yeah, when they decide to put on a clinic... It's just a gift.

So I went and saw Joel Ross and his band at the PizzaExpress Jazz Club in Soho, London last night. Firstly, this might be one of my new favourite venues for jazz music, it has a proper Jazz club vibe, with low black ceilings, warm but low lighting, and a really intimate vibe. Love it.

The music was utterly brilliant and I really want as many people to know about this group as possible (sorry if you see this post on a few threads). They played for about 2 hours total with a 30min break in-between. And they realllly played , non-stop with no break between songs. They all played their asses off and I just want to give a special mention to the drummer Jeremy Dutton, sweet lord that guy can play!

Heres a few pics from last night, and I also took a leaf out of @Yer Ol' Uncle D's book and recorded the audio for about half the show (nothing fancy, just iPhone voice recorder). I listened to the playback this morning and its surprisingly good (we were sat at the very front so was worried about it being overpowering). Check out their new album, Kingmaker (on Blue Note), its killer.

So I went and saw Joel Ross and his band at the PizzaExpress Jazz Club in Soho, London last night. Firstly, this might be one of my new favourite venues for jazz music, it has a proper Jazz club vibe, with low black ceilings, warm but low lighting, and a really intimate vibe. Love it.

The music was utterly brilliant and I really want as many people to know about this group as possible (sorry if you see this post on a few threads). They played for about 2 hours total with a 30min break in-between. And they realllly played , non-stop with no break between songs. They all played their asses off and I just want to give a special mention to the drummer Jeremy Dutton, sweet lord that guy can play!

Heres a few pics from last night, and I also took a leaf out of @Yer Ol' Uncle D's book and recorded the audio for about half the show (nothing fancy, just iPhone voice recorder). I listened to the playback this morning and its surprisingly good (we were sat at the very front so was worried about it being overpowering). Check out their new album, Kingmaker (on Blue Note), its killer.

View attachment 10890

View attachment 10891

View attachment 10892

Fantastic! Kingmaker really is a great album, played the CD yesterday morning. If he comes to Philly I might actually try and get out of babyland to see him.

$42?? YEESH.
Yeah that (£33) seems to be the going rate in the UK for the Tone Poets. Myself and a few other based in the UK/Europe have been ordering from Amazon USA, Amazon France, Amazon Italy etc when they pop up at a reasonable price. Unfortunately as much as I would like to support my local shops they are just priced way too high. I saw Cassandra Wilson for £60 in London yesterday...........£60

If anyone living in Belgium is look for Baby Face Willette - Face to Face, there seems to be an accideal on Fnac. They are selling it for 8 euros:

Sadly they only seem to ship in Belgium.
MY TIME TO SHINE

Order placed, thank you! 😁

Yeah that (£33) seems to be the going rate in the UK for the Tone Poets. Myself and a few other based in the UK/Europe have been ordering from Amazon USA, Amazon France, Amazon Italy etc when they pop up at a reasonable price. Unfortunately as much as I would like to support my local shops they are just priced way too high. I saw Cassandra Wilson for £60 in London yesterday...........£60
That's crazy! My LRS doesn't even carry them sadly and looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if they had any of the Tone Poets in stock. I have a Rough Trade near me though and they have them there for about $33 I think.

Back