The Blue Note Thread

Last edited:
Would there be any difference in sound between an early 1970’s Black B label and a mid 70’s White B label press of the same album? I’ve got a choice between either.

Thanks in advance!

The guide @stpaulbrowns mentions is helpful.

Another strategy is to go to discogs and see if the reissue is using RVG or Van Gelder stampers. If so, go with that option.

FYI, the black b era saw the recutting of many titles, while the later white b era had some titles with Van Gelder stampers.

Well, discogs has little info on either for Lee Morgan’s The Gigolo. Either they both don’t have Van Gelder stamps or that info just wasn’t documented.

I checked completed ebay listings, and seller funkyousounds did sell a VAN GELDER white b copy. This is a reputable seller, even though this could be a mistake as all other sellers with the white b copy did not mention Van Gelder.

No one selling black b Gigolo mentioned Van Gelder.

Which others of his do you have? Our Man In Paris is my favorite Gordon album. I didn’t pick up the TP and don’t have too many others of his though.

I streamed it the other day and really liked it. Had some of the same vibes as Our Man in Paris, although not quite at the same level overall (which is no slight, because, as I said a few pages back, Our Man in Paris is in my top 5 Blue Note records of all time). I'm definitely planning to pick it up somewhere in the near future.

Anyone own the AP 45 rpm of Somethin' Else ? Thoughts vs Music Matters?
Edit: to clarify my store has it "cheap" at 45€ new.

I don't own either, but from what I've read on AP vs MM in general, most people think that MM (just barely) edges out AP. However, I don't think you will find a MM Somethin' Else for anywhere near $45 (the MM website has it for $75 for instance). I don't think the difference in sound quality justifies that price difference.

I checked completed ebay listings, and seller funkyousounds did sell a VAN GELDER white b copy. This is a reputable seller, even though this could be a mistake as all other sellers with the white b copy did not mention Van Gelder.

No one selling black b Gigolo mentioned Van Gelder.
It's not impossible that a white B label also has a Van Gelder stamp, it's just less likely than a black B having one.

I don't own either, but from what I've read on AP vs MM in general, most people think that MM (just barely) edges out AP. However, I don't think you will find a MM Somethin' Else for anywhere near $45 (the MM website has it for $75 for instance). I don't think the difference in sound quality justifies that price difference.

I think I'll go for it, I doubt my system (and also my attention span) could tell the differences between AP/MM. Most importantly as you've said I don't think I'd see either of these available again for the price this side of the world.

I'll report back on the sound once I get it. I have the AP Beach Boys Pet Sounds @ 45 rpm and it really made a huge difference to me in terms of appreciating the album.

I streamed it the other day and really liked it. Had some of the same vibes as Our Man in Paris, although not quite at the same level overall (which is no slight, because, as I said a few pages back, Our Man in Paris is in my top 5 Blue Note records of all time). I'm definitely planning to pick it up somewhere in the near future.
I got the 33RPM MM pressing of Our Man in Paris a few weeks back for $35 on eBay and was so happy about that. I rarely see that one available. It’s a great record.

Discogs has a listing for a white B with Van Gelder stamp. The black B listing says nothing about it but also lacks other info so who knows.
I’ll report back when I have it in hand. Have a Black B Silver’s Serenade that has a Van gelder stamp while my recent Black B Blue Train does not.
So it is a bit of a toss up.

Which others of his do you have? Our Man In Paris is my favorite Gordon album. I didn’t pick up the TP and don’t have too many others of his though.

Streaming Our Man in Paris right now-- I like it more than the others but I don't know. I don't love it. He just has a very... traditional sound. Does that make sense? Maybe I just have a bias against him for some reason. I actually like Bud Powell on this more than I like Gordon.

I have all the recent reissues from him so far-- Dexter Calling, Doin' Allright, and Clubhouse. Won't pretend like I've given them all a deep listen considering the head first dive into jazz I've taken though, lol.

I’ll report back when I have it in hand. Have a Black B Silver’s Serenade that has a Van gelder stamp while my recent Black B Blue Train does not.
So it is a bit of a toss up.
From everything I have seen, it's always a toss up. It seems that even with the VG stampers, some of those represses came from heavily used Van Gelder plates. I have been eyeing more and more King pressings lately, but with the shipping from Japan, haven't looked into enough of a bulk buy to make it worth it yet with shipping.

Streaming Our Man in Paris right now-- I like it more than the others but I don't know. I don't love it. He just has a very... traditional sound. Does that make sense? Maybe I just have a bias against him for some reason. I actually like Bud Powell on this more than I like Gordon.

I have all the recent reissues from him so far-- Dexter Calling, Doin' Allright, and Clubhouse. Won't pretend like I've given them all a deep listen considering the head first dive into jazz I've taken though, lol.
Fair enough! I wonder if that is because Gordon came from the '40s bop scene so that's why you might associate his sound with something more "traditional" since he comes from that world. I really like Powell and Clarke on that album and while none of the songs are originals as far as I remember, they are great versions of standards and the players have great chemistry.

I had a similar opinion on Gordon, but Doin' Alright showed me a different side of him. His sidemen on that record push him to be more inventive, plus the compositions are really good too.

Give One Flight Up a stream! Definitely my favorite.

Last edited:
Back