The Blue Note Thread

I would avoid Dmm's tbh. I find them thin and tinny. You would be better off with RVG or McMaster Cd's with a good player or dac imho.
You have more DMM in your collection that you may realize! Most GZ are DMM, all MOV are DMM, Pirates Press uses DMM and so on...

With the shortage of pressing equipment, DMM presses are very common in use today.

General rule - if it comes from a lacquer, it cannot be DMM. If it comes from a digital file, it is usually DMM.

You have more DMM in your collection that you may realize! Most GZ are DMM, all MOV are DMM, Pirates Press uses DMM and so on...

With the shortage of pressing equipment, DMM presses are very common in use today.

General rule - if it comes from a lacquer, it cannot be DMM. If it comes from a digital file, it is usually DMM.
Someone else pointed out early DMM was used as a marketing tool at the time to help dying vinyl sales compete with early cd sales.

@mingerton, I would just listen to both and keep the one that sounds best in your system. if there the same sell the one worth more.

Last edited:
I would avoid Dmm's tbh. I find them thin and tinny. You would be better off with RVG or McMaster Cd's with a good player or dac imho.
This is my take as well. I have a few Blue Note DMM's that I bought early on in my explorations into jazz and when I finally upgraded some of them the difference was staggering.

If anyone has any of those French Cartre Rouge 80's pressings they dont want, I'll take em. In my experiance they sound fantastic

If anyone has any of those French Cartre Rouge 80's pressings they dont want, I'll take em. In my experiance they sound fantastic
I have two from that series. Will have to give them another listen! I have Maiden Voyage and Donald Byrd - A New Perspective.

I had a look out of interest and looks like I have quite a few. I believe I have upgraded some of them, will need to double check. The great thing about these is that they USED to be really cheap. I picked up at least a couple of them for £2 at carboot sales and the rest were ebay wins from several years ago for less than a tenner each.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 14.36.13.png

I know news of this release has been shared here before, but the actual product looks fantastic. They have combined the 2 10" releases into a single 12" BUT packaged it in a gatefold with the original artwork of each on the front and back with liner notes in the middle of the gatefold.

HERBIENICHOLS_PROPHETIC_PROD_SHOT_vol1front.png

I know news of this release has been shared here before, but the actual product looks fantastic. They have combined the 2 10" releases into a single 12" BUT packaged it in a gatefold with the original artwork of each on the front and back with liner notes in the middle of the gatefold.

View attachment 115867
This has become one of my most anticipated recently!

Same here, its one of the releases where I just can never see myself getting an original pressing. Even if I had all the money in the world, they just don't turn up for sale that often in decent condition.

View attachment 115867
There is also a poll for this one now over on the PBC thread if anyone is interested. No fancy spinny thingy's sorry 😊

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up! I hit on 30% off!
Good morning, all.

I just used the gmail "." trick using "private browsing" and after 12 spins, finally landed the 30% code. (And I think you can even do this without the trick, using any imagined email address).

Then I bought 5 BN Classics to get free shipping, which came out to about $18 each with tax.

Here are the codes (assuming the 30% won't work since I used it but here's a 25% off one I didn't use):
25OFF97DB2697
30OFF211B8E54

Good morning, all.

I just used the gmail "." trick using "private browsing" and after 12 spins, finally landed the 30% code. (And I think you can even do this without the trick, using any imagined email address).

Then I bought 5 BN Classics to get free shipping, which came out to about $18 each with tax.

Here are the codes (assuming the 30% won't work since I used it but here's a 25% off one I didn't use):
25OFF97DB2697
30OFF211B8E54
I hate to be *that* guy, but what is the Gmail "." trick 😬

I hate to be *that* guy, but what is the Gmail "." trick 😬
This is cut-and-pasted from a post a while back by @grendel627: "If you have a Gmail account and try the trick where you move around a period in the first part of your email address (anywhere before the @), you should be able to get it to work."

I've never tried it, but others have and it seems to work.

This is cut-and-pasted from a post a while back by @grendel627: "If you have a Gmail account and try the trick where you move around a period in the first part of your email address (anywhere before the @), you should be able to get it to work."

I've never tried it, but others have and it seems to work.
Just for funsies I tried and could do it 4 times. Somehow it stopped working after that (and got 20, 25 and 2x15 %off).

Back