The Blue Note Thread

if it is 299 Jamie, I'm with you! ☺️ Tbh The Atlantic cd box set I have is good enough for me. I need my jazz to swing but god bless Ornette! I remember Flea having a homemade Ornette banner on his amp at the Grammy's.

I really go to Ornette for when I’m craving pop hooks. How many top ten hits did he write?

Seriously though I’m tempted to get this.

having both originals of Fancy Dancer and Places and Spaces, have to say I'm a bit torn....I remember digging a clean vinyl copy of P&S in college so many years ago and just being so pumped for those lush Mizell productions...mine are both very solid copies and play silent....

but...KG is the BN whisperer and I am curious as to how this will sound through a modern mastering rig....ugh...

I've always loved the cover photo for Home Cookin'. Really great.
I'm intrigued by these picks. They seem less "classics" then diamonds in the rough?

The Wilson session has George Coleman and Lee Morgan in 1969, and the Nichols session is from 1955 and features Blakey on drums. The Jimmy Smith you can still probably get an OG in nice shape for a decent price. But then there's this Kenny Cox record that I'd never heard of before -- just learned he went on to found/own Strata Records in Detroit in 1968.

I've always loved the cover photo for Home Cookin'. Really great.
I have to pull out my vintage copy this weekend and see if it needs a upgrade. Hope they do Midnight Special next round and more later Jimmy. The other Willette BN, and some Big John Patton would be great as well.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by these picks. They seem less "classics" then diamonds in the rough?

The Wilson session has George Coleman and Lee Morgan in 1969, and the Nichols session is from 1955 and features Blakey on drums. The Jimmy Smith you can still probably get an OG in nice shape for a decent price. But then there's this Kenny Cox record that I'd never heard of before -- just learned he went on to found/own Strata Records in Detroit in 1968.
Don't sleep on the Nichols record folks. Monk gets most of the accolades but Nichol's was right there with him, Andrew Hill, Bud Powell, etc. It's VERY rare material as well, I'm lucky enough to have the Mosaic box set on my server.

I think it's more of a mix this cycle, you have some BN standards and then some diamonds like Nichols, Places & Spaces, and Reuben Wilson, etc

Last edited:

They are classics. They are not warhorses or overdone, but they are classics. Big difference between a classic and a warhorse, although the former can be open to interpretation.

Although the conservative bend of American jazz vinyl buyers tends to ignore anything past 1965, there were stone cold classics being made. Lee Morgan and the great George Coleman? How can you go wrong? Home Cookin is fat, juicy grease. Herbie Nichols is FAR more influential than, say, Tina Brooks, who has had every last ounce squeezed out of.

The Kenny Cox may be the gem of the lot. These are all superb records. Thrilled to see them get re-released in high quality.

Is there any consensus amongst avid Blue Note listeners about whether the French pressings or the U.S. pressings of the DMM 1980s reissues are better quality? Thanks in advance.

Is there any consensus amongst avid Blue Note listeners about whether the French pressings or the U.S. pressings of the DMM 1980s reissues are better quality? Thanks in advance.
I would avoid Dmm's tbh. I find them thin and tinny. You would be better off with RVG or McMaster Cd's with a good player or dac imho.

I would avoid Dmm's tbh. I find them thin and tinny. You would be better off with RVG or McMaster Cd's with a good player or dac imho.
Yes, I agree! I should have explained the specific context: I happen to already have two copies of Jackie McLean's Let Freedom Ring, one is the US 1986 DMM and the other is the 1986 French DMM. Want to keep one until I get a better pressing, but sell the other.

Back