The Blue Note Thread

Target buy 3 for 2 sale is back. The new Blue Note Classics for Sidewinder, The Real McCoy, and Songs for My Father are up there.

Target buy 3 for 2 sale is back. The new Blue Note Classics for Sidewinder, The Real McCoy, and Songs for My Father are up there.

Done and done. $45 shipped for all three. Thanks!!

I didn't because I didn't go too crazy on the sale and went with three Tone Poets but trust me I have been thinking about it every day since it was announced. Every. Day.

@Ericj32 REDEMPTION!

First time I've seen this January 2021 Tone Poet title available for preorder:

Looks like the Scofield/Metheny and Paul Chambers titles also are available.

First time I've seen this January 2021 Tone Poet title available for preorder:

Looks like the Scofield/Metheny and Paul Chambers titles also are available.
Just listened to The Rahjah for the first time ever and absolutely loved it but funnily enough, there were multiple times where I thought I was listening to a Chet Baker album. Seemed like a very subdued performance from Lee, he played incredibly but that energy I’m used to was not present. Wasn’t a bad thing at all, just found it interesting.

Spinning Oblique by Bobby Hutcherson. Sounds fantastic. Saw a rumor on the Hoffman boards that other Hutcherson releases may come in 2021 or 2022. Not Patterns though as it was part of the Blue Note Review box set. Some wondered if Components would be a Classics release later.

Spinning Oblique by Bobby Hutcherson. Sounds fantastic. Saw a rumor on the Hoffman boards that other Hutcherson releases may come in 2021 or 2022. Not Patterns though as it was part of the Blue Note Review box set. Some wondered if Components would be a Classics release later.
Hoping for Dialogue. Any release would be welcome though.

I don't have my copy yet, but Oblique is one of the releases I'm most excited for in this second run of Tone Poets. I'm a sucker for any record with Herbie and Joe Chambers in it. Add Bobby to the mix, and that makes for a fire session.

Hey guys, so I bought something kind of weird. It’s a test pressing for MMJ’s Eric Dolphy Out to Lunch. It actually came sealed, which surprised me. I’m wondering if I should open it or leave it sealed— I have another decent copy of Out to Lunch so I don’t NEED to open it. I don’t know, it’s odd. What do you guys think?

788D52C6-D753-4EE6-8A85-C6D51EB01C4E.jpeg

Hey guys, so I bought something kind of weird. It’s a test pressing for MMJ’s Eric Dolphy Out to Lunch. It actually came sealed, which surprised me. I’m wondering if I should open it or leave it sealed— I have another decent copy of Out to Lunch so I don’t NEED to open it. I don’t know, it’s odd. What do you guys think?

View attachment 74819
I'd say it depends on why you bought it. If you're thinking of it as an investment (all sorts of caveats to that one), I suppose you should leave it sealed. But if you were thinking it might offer a distinctive listening experience, then by all means, open and play!

I'd say it depends on why you bought it. If you're thinking of it as an investment (all sorts of caveats to that one), I suppose you should leave it sealed. But if you were thinking it might offer a distinctive listening experience, then by all means, open and play!

Ha yeah that’s sort of what I’m trying to decide— if it’s cooler as an object or if i should rip it open and listen. Leaning toward opening!

Ha yeah that’s sort of what I’m trying to decide— if it’s cooler as an object or if i should rip it open and listen. Leaning toward opening!
I've reached a point where I feel like this is an f-ing existential question! Haha. It pains me to say I know exactly what you mean, and then there's the voice that says to me "cooler for whom?!" Like, is there anyone in your (or my) everyday life who would see this as cool? And even if they did, what then? On the other hand, if you play the thing, at least you can tell yourself there's a somewhat practical reason for having bought it. And if resale is an issue, first, what are the odds of its value increasing? and second, how much is that really going to be affected by opening and playing it? For me, I think I'd play it just so I could continue to tell myself I haven't lost it completely. ;) YMMV!

I also find myself in this predicament sometimes but then I realize that A) records are made to be spun and B) i don't think that unsealing it and playing it once would greatly diminish the value if you bought it as an investment (unless of course you scratch it or something by accident).

I also find myself in this predicament sometimes but then I realize that A) records are made to be spun and B) i don't think that unsealing it and playing it once would greatly diminish the value if you bought it as an investment (unless of course you scratch it or something by accident).
Yeah, I don't seen anyone paying any less for this open than sealed unless it is graded lower than NM. Original presses are a different story of course.

I've reached a point where I feel like this is an f-ing existential question! Haha. It pains me to say I know exactly what you mean, and then there's the voice that says to me "cooler for whom?!" Like, is there anyone in your (or my) everyday life who would see this as cool? And even if they did, what then? On the other hand, if you play the thing, at least you can tell yourself there's a somewhat practical reason for having bought it. And if resale is an issue, first, what are the odds of its value increasing? and second, how much is that really going to be affected by opening and playing it? For me, I think I'd play it just so I could continue to tell myself I haven't lost it completely. ;) YMMV!
Yeah, I don't seen anyone paying any less for this open than sealed unless it is graded lower than NM. Original presses are a different story of course.

Okay I’m convinced. I’m really curious about what it’ll look and sound like anyway so it’s getting opened tomorrow when I have a chance to sit down. But yeah nobody in my life cares about these things like I do— like nobody remotely cares what a test pressing even is. So it seems silly to leave it in the shelf unopened.

Okay I’m convinced. I’m really curious about what it’ll look and sound like anyway so it’s getting opened tomorrow when I have a chance to sit down. But yeah nobody in my life cares about these things like I do— like nobody remotely cares what a test pressing even is. So it seems silly to leave it in the shelf unopened.
Enjoy!!

Back