The Blue Note Thread

No direct experience but according to London Jazz Collector, all Japanese vinyl pressings post 1995 are digitally sourced and some are even sourced from cds. Not that this is bad but buyer beware.

Just throwing this out there since it's not mentioned on that site, but I'd put the Tone Poets (and the BN80s, and I'd bet the Classics as well, but obviously nobody's heard those yet) on par with the MM 33rpm releases. MAYBE the BN80 would be a slight step down, but man, I don't know. I compared my copy of Indestructible MM33 vs OG vs BN80 and honestly, they were incredibly close-- especially the MM and the BN80, since they both came from a modern KG remaster.

A real shame this series wasn't announced before the Buy 3 for 2 Target sale.

Just want to take this opportunity to thank @AC Slaughter for his guidance on this one during that sale:

Anyone have any idea what this is? It shows a December release date. I thought maybe it was a repress of the BN75 but the UPC isn't showing up anywhere.

I took a gamble based on this post, I hope you did, too, @AC Slaughter!

Is anyone else experiencing significant non-fill on the 2020 BN Lee Morgan The Rumproller? Mine is pretty bad. I bought through Amazon, so they're sending a replacement. In the meantime, this is one of the worst instances of non-fill I've ever encountered.

Just want to take this opportunity to thank @AC Slaughter for his guidance on this one during that sale:

I took a gamble based on this post, I hope you did, too, @AC Slaughter!
I didn't because I didn't go too crazy on the sale and went with three Tone Poets but trust me I have been thinking about it every day since it was announced. Every. Day.

This is an album that I rarely see mentioned, and one which would make a great Tone Poet pick.

Dizzy Reece - Blues In Trinity

Its an incredibly important album which breaks the trend of a lot of the Blue Note releases. Its a very British affair which was produced by Tony Hall (not Alfred Lion), a British producer who went on to be the first Promotor for Decca, signed Black Sabbath to Vertigo, etc. On a trip to the US, Hall played a tape to Lion of the legendary British saxophonist Tubby Hayes. Lion was so impressed that he agreed to sign Hayes to Blue Note and thus he was added to this date. Finally, we have the lead musician, the Jamaican-born English-based jazz trumpeter Dizzy Reece. It really is as close to a 'British Invasion' that Blue Note would see and includes a fantastic set of tracks (4 original compositions and 2 standards) and a superb line-up of side-men (Donald Byrd, Art Taylor, Terry Shannon, Lloyd Thompson).

The original is just an incredibly difficult one to find and there have been painfully few reissues ever since. I think this would make a great Tone Poet. It has the pedigree of being on Blue Note with Donald Byrd & Art Taylor, but also the intrigue of a different producer and Tubby Hayes.

On a side note, I have picked up a few Tubby Hayes recordings over the past few weeks and according to a few websites, the reason his Tempo work is so sought after is that the label destroyed all the tapes in the 1970s to make space!!

R-739585-1327600186.jpeg.jpg

Speaking of Tone Poet's, Joe teased a new one that he's currently working on, Lee Konitz Meets Gerry Mulligan. Chet Baker is featured on trumpet. I'm not sure why Instagram isn't embedding but you can follow the link.

I think there was some discussion here about what Music Matters is going to do in the future, if anything, since the BN Classics Series was announced, but I don't remember if anyone arrived at conclusions or even good guesses. I've also completed fallen off following Hoffman and pretty much any music forum but this one. So...thoughts on seeing Music Matters post this?
Screenshot_20201031-202258_Chrome.jpg

I think there was some discussion here about what Music Matters is going to do in the future, if anything, since the BN Classics Series was announced, but I don't remember if anyone arrived at conclusions or even good guesses. I've also completed fallen off following Hoffman and pretty much any music forum but this one. So...thoughts on seeing Music Matters post this?
View attachment 72924
I sincerely hope they continue reissuing jazz at the quality that they were minus the stupid pricing stuff. Maybe a different label? They can’t keep reissuing the same albums over and over.

I sincerely hope they continue reissuing jazz at the quality that they were minus the stupid pricing stuff. Maybe a different label? They can’t keep reissuing the same albums over and over.
A different label and generally more niche stuff is what I think would be beat case scenario for me personally. I'm definitely interested to see what happens.

View attachment 72924
That's hysterical. Good to know they've got a sense of humor about it.

Maybe I’m the only one who’s been waiting for this but Dexter Gordon’s Clubhouse is back in stock on The udiscover and blue note web stores.

I’m also seeing Shorter’s Etc tone poet on both sites.

Sam River’s Contours is showing on blue note, but i didn’t see it yet on udiscover.

chet baker is still sold out in both places though.

UDiscover Music is having a big sale right now with most of the Tone Poets marked down to $24.50. You can use the code 30OFF!FALL to get 30% off that marked down price. I just bought the 3 Tone Poets from last month (Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Herbie Hancock), the Duke Pearson that was just released, Una Mas from Kenny Dorham, Comin' Your Way from Stanley Turrentine, and a Sinatra record that I've been wanting all for $118. Discount was $47. So similar to the Target Buy 3 for 2 deal.

UDiscover Music is having a big sale right now with most of the Tone Poets marked down to $24.50. You can use the code 30OFF!FALL to get 30% off that marked down price. I just bought the 3 Tone Poets from last month (Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Herbie Hancock), the Duke Pearson that was just released, Una Mas from Kenny Dorham, Comin' Your Way from Stanley Turrentine, and a Sinatra record that I've been wanting all for $118. Discount was $47. So similar to the Target Buy 3 for 2 deal.

Damn, I just bought 2 records from them yesterday with my 35% off coupon (though I think that was the last day it was valid anyway), this is way better. I think I'll also grab those 3 tone Poets. Glad I only grabbed 2 yesterday because my cart was loaded

Back