The Blue Note Thread

UDiscover Music is having a big sale right now with most of the Tone Poets marked down to $24.50. You can use the code 30OFF!FALL to get 30% off that marked down price. I just bought the 3 Tone Poets from last month (Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Herbie Hancock), the Duke Pearson that was just released, Una Mas from Kenny Dorham, Comin' Your Way from Stanley Turrentine, and a Sinatra record that I've been wanting all for $118. Discount was $47. So similar to the Target Buy 3 for 2 deal.

I couldn't resist either.
Picked up the Introducing Kenny Burrell Tone Poet and the Larry Young Into Something BN80 w/ Grant Green.
$32 total with tax and shipping.

UDiscover Music is having a big sale right now with most of the Tone Poets marked down to $24.50. You can use the code 30OFF!FALL to get 30% off that marked down price. I just bought the 3 Tone Poets from last month (Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Herbie Hancock), the Duke Pearson that was just released, Una Mas from Kenny Dorham, Comin' Your Way from Stanley Turrentine, and a Sinatra record that I've been wanting all for $118. Discount was $47. So similar to the Target Buy 3 for 2 deal.

Don’t forget about the Verve Acoustic Sounds series is on there too!

Yeah I took advantage of that udiscover coupon ha! Placed an order getting the last two batches of tone posts plus Getz/Gilberto, and another pre order with the four tone poets coming up as well as Sarah Vaughan and the two Nina Simones. Black Friday shopping came early... in total it came to like $250 for 13 records.

The Tina Brooks is so good. The bass on Horace Silver sounds incredible. I'm going to ask a rhetorical question, they don't do sales, right?

I see Speak No Evil on the uDiscover page. I think it may be a preorder for the upcoming BN classic but can’t tell
Edit: also seeing Moanin’ on there. Also unlike most albums they don’t have a description or track listings which makes me think they are preorders

I see Speak No Evil on the uDiscover page. I think it may be a preorder for the upcoming BN classic but can’t tell
Edit: also seeing Moanin’ on there. Also unlike most albums they don’t have a description or track listings which makes me think they are preorders
That Moanin is probably the BN75 edition.

That Moanin is probably the BN75 edition.
I think so too looking at the price compared to the 75s they had. Not sure about about speak now evil though. Want the BN Classic but this seems to maybe be it(?) though it’s weird to have this preorder and none othwrs

I think so too looking at the price compared to the 75s they had. Not sure about about speak now evil though. Want the BN Classic but this seems to maybe be it(?) though it’s weird to have this preorder and none others
I think the Speak No Evil is a BN75. I noticed they added it several months ago during one of their sales--well before the new series was announced. And when it's a preorder, the button says "pre-order," not "add to cart." Still, I'm compulsively checking to see if they add the new series. Given that the first of that series come in early December, I would think they'll start adding some soon.

Van Gelder Studio And The Blue Note Sound | uDiscover
Just thought I'd share this article about RVG and Blue Note, quite long and still reading thru it but it's a good read so far.
Perfect timing as his birthday would have been yesterday.

One thing that always struck me as surprising was his dislike towards the vinyl/lp format, something which would likely shock a lot of people. When CD's and digital came about he actually stated that he much preferred it as it was less primitive.

The Tina Brooks is so good. The bass on Horace Silver sounds incredible. I'm going to ask a rhetorical question, they don't do sales, right?
Yes, they do! And the sale price will be at least 25% higher than the pre-sale price!

Not to toot my own horn too much but something you guys who live in the States should be watching is Amazon Warehouse deals. I just got in the Tone Poet for Chet Baker Sings for $25. There is nothing wrong with it. It was on there as being repackaged. It came in a larger Amazon box with the typical Amazon record box. It has never been opened. I've had some pretty good luck with these warehouse deals. Sure, you might get a bad one like the Jutta Hipp that I had to send back but you can always return one that comes in terrible shape.

Listening to Chet Baker Sings now. I really hope they do a repress and more people can get it. Getting that same feeling I got when I put on Blossom Dearie for the first time.

tenor.gif

Back