The Blue Note Thread

Finally got around to spinning this Blue Note Re:Imagined record. Grabbed the copy on blue vinyl along with a signed copy of Ambrose Akinmusire (which arrived surprisingly not only signed, but hand-numbered out of 50!). The Re:Imagined record is really great so far! Anybody else grab that one? @dropsonde back on topic :)
Only heard Jordan Rakei’s Wind Parade spin which I loved. I imagine that’s on it? What are the other high light tracks for you?

have people not been liking it? i'm enjoying it on first spin. I think if you like a bunch or the artists on it, not sure why you wouldn't enjoy the record.

and the Ambrose album is my favorite jazz album of the year hands down. I agree--he has an amazing catalogue of studio albums up until now. I wish more were easily found on vinyl. I have When The Heart from the VMP BN box set, but his other stuff,under his own name, isn't pressed or is crazy expensive.
I was turned off by the idea of it. This is definitely really unfair and I need to give it a chance, probably. I have had a bias against even trying any kind of reimagining or covering of classics since hearing Tony Allen's cover of the Drum Thunder Suite.

I was turned off by the idea of it. This is definitely really unfair and I need to give it a chance, probably. I have had a bias against even trying any kind of reimagining or covering of classics since hearing Tony Allen's cover of the Drum Thunder Suite.
I thought based on the seemingly collective love of the UK jazz scene, people here would have been all over this release! I understand not liking the idea of a covers album, but to me, its not all that different from how jazz musicians cover standards all the time. I also wouldn't compare these songs to the originals because they don't really hold a candle but I think there are still some great tracks on here.

Only heard Jordan Rakei’s Wind Parade spin which I loved. I imagine that’s on it? What are the other high light tracks for you?
I'll have to go back and give it a listen, but I remember the Alfa Mist track being cool. The Jordan Rakei track is great as you said. There were a bunch of others I enjoyed but would have to listen again to give a better answer!

I thought based on the seemingly collective love of the UK jazz scene, people here would have been all over this release! I understand not liking the idea of a covers album, but to me, its not all that different from how jazz musicians cover standards all the time. I also wouldn't compare these songs to the originals because they don't really hold a candle but I think there are still some great tracks on here.

I'll have to go back and give it a listen, but I remember the Alfa Mist track being cool. The Jordan Rakei track is great as you said. There were a bunch of others I enjoyed but would have to listen again to give a better answer!
This might be a controversial hot take but I’ve got a heavy dose of UK Jazz fatigue these days. While I did want to hear what others thought about it, another reason I held off on buying Re:Imagined is that after scanning the tracklists and artists I thought to myself, do I really need a jazz standards comp with more music from Nubya, Shabaka, Ezra Collective, Joe Armon-Jones, etc.? I mean isn’t this essentially another We Out Here Brownswood comp cooked up Blue Note-style?

Last edited:
This might be a controversial hot take but I’ve got a heavy dose of UK Jazz fatigue these days. While I did want to hear what others thought about it, another reason I held off on buying Re:Imagined is that after scanning the tracklists and artists I thought to myself, do I really need a jazz standards comp with more music from Nubya, Shabaka, Ezra Collective, Joe Armon-Jones, etc.? I mean isn’t this essentially another We Out Here Brownswood comp cooked up Blue Note-style?
Fair enough I suppose! It is on streaming too if you just want to give it a listen. It’s just funny that I didn’t realize how many people seem to feel the same as you about the release. And I’ve seen people saying they don’t want to listen to a jazz covers album, which is a bit funny to me since jazz was built on people covering other jazz songs!

Fair enough I suppose! It is on streaming too if you just want to give it a listen. It’s just funny that I didn’t realize how many people seem to feel the same as you about the release. And I’ve seen people saying they don’t want to listen to a jazz covers album, which is a bit funny to me since jazz was built on people covering other jazz songs!
I agree with you on covering jazz standards, no issues on my end. One of my favorite albums of 2020 — Sam Gendel’s Satin Doll — is a jazz standards record. Believe it or not, I don’t subscribe to any streaming services (by choice).

I guess my comment about UK Jazz fatigue wasn’t as controversial as I’d though it would be! Was anticipating a few counter arguments on that one.

basically its no longer the 80th aniversary of blue note so they are just calling the reissue series "classic"

hopefully they let tone poets have some good shit too

I streamed this this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Might pick it up at some point in vinyl.

I feel like I’m still in shock that this Blue Note Classics series is actually happening. I can just fully turn off the part of my brain that keeps wanting to check discogs and ebay for a japanese press to pop up or check my email for an alert. It keeps dawning on me every few hours or so that this reissue series is coming and just makes me so damn happy lol.

I agree with you on covering jazz standards, no issues on my end. One of my favorite albums of 2020 — Sam Gendel’s Satin Doll — is a jazz standards record. Believe it or not, I don’t subscribe to any streaming services (by choice).

I guess my comment about UK Jazz fatigue wasn’t as controversial as I’d though it would be! Was anticipating a few counter arguments on that one.
Sorry about that, I was just sharpening my pitchfork.

I thought you were awfully quiet, my friend!! Waiting for that vigorous defense with trepidation! 🎷
To be honest it isn't one that I actually bought. Im sure its a great comp and i have enjoyed what I have heard through streaming, but it was just a bit too pricey for me. On top of the fact that I have been buying quite a lot of jazz from current UK artist, its just not one that overly appealed to me. I imagine I will pick it up when it eventually reaches the sales.

Anyone know anything or care to comment on the quality of 2004 Japanese Blue Note pressings? I am looking at a clean copy of Hank Mobley's Workout with Grant Green. Any insight would be appreciated.

No direct experience but according to London Jazz Collector, all Japanese vinyl pressings post 1995 are digitally sourced and some are even sourced from cds. Not that this is bad but buyer beware.

No direct experience but according to London Jazz Collector, all Japanese vinyl pressings post 1995 are digitally sourced and some are even sourced from cds. Not that this is bad but buyer beware.

Thanks. Guess I'll keep looking. It's a killer session.

Aren't they just saying Toshiba Blue Note pressings? There are Japanese audiophile runs like Disk Union, for instance, cut by KG AAA. I'm sure there are other quality ones as well. I guess it depends specifically on what reissue it is.

Edit: sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about a specific Toshiba pressing. Missed that post.

To be honest it isn't one that I actually bought. Im sure its a great comp and i have enjoyed what I have heard through streaming, but it was just a bit too pricey for me. On top of the fact that I have been buying quite a lot of jazz from current UK artist, its just not one that overly appealed to me. I imagine I will pick it up when it eventually reaches the sales.
Bummer that it was pricey for you. I think I got it during a BN sale and grabbed the blue variant. I think it wasn't too bad price-wise over here.

I have the BN 75 version. Not up to Tone Poet quality but mine is nice and quiet, if a bit dull sounding. An amazing session
Yeah, I saw there was a BN75 version. I have a few of these BN75 releases from other artists, and I think they were mastered pretty well, but most were pressed at United or Rainbo, so in my experience, you get a lot of warps, sleeve scuffs, and other nonsense. I will probably be shunned here for saying this, but I am tempted by a $10 Waxtime pressing. Ha ha. I've had a few of these WT releases, and they are all pressed really well, flat, without surface noise, and usually come in poly-lined sleeves. Then again, probably should just buy the CD and it'll be the same exact source.

Or I could just bite the bullet on an AP audiophile pressing from 2010 for around $70. Which is a lot. Or just wait for it to be released as a Tone Poet in 2021 (fingers crossed).

Back