The Blue Note Thread

Can I ask a question on Music Matters 45rpm records? I know the pricing for the titles varies wildly. I realize part of that is based on the popularity of the title or artist. Why would some records be priced reasonably at $34.95 or $39.95? Is that because the quality is not as good, an overabundance of quantity on those titles, or some other reason? For instance, I love Johnny Griffin and one of the records I'm interested in is Congregation. It goes for $35 on their site. I notice other Johnny Griffin's are available and his albums don't seem to sell as well, such as his SRX titles still being available.
Their business model is purely based on price gouging since 2017 or so. Differences in quality will be based on original tape condition, recording quality, subjective mastering choices in 45 (supposedly more "audiophile" style) vs 33 and the minor differences between the ones cut at ATM and CA (improved equipment). SRX is another story that I can't speak to. Otherwise production/sound quality not related to price.

Music Matters pricing is almost all based on stock levels. They've admitted as much.

The Introducing Johnny Griffin SRX title is still available because it got released like 3 months later as a BN80 title for half the cost. I like their gatefold jackets, but not $30 better.
Yeah, I follow a Music Matters group on Facebook and got that sense about stock levels influencing the price. It seems a tad obscene such as Matador from Grant Green being $100. I'd love to get that but not for $100.

So I think I'm going to go with these:
Johnny Griffin-Congregation
Horace Silver- The Stylings of Silver
Lou Donaldson- Lou Takes Off
Donald Byrd- The Cat Walk
Lee Morgan- Indeed!
Tina Brooks-Back To The Tracks

The one I'm not sure on is which Hank Mobley to get? Quartet w/ outtakes, Sextet, or Quintet.

All of those should put me over the threshold for free shipping. I was holding out to see if Acoustic Sounds was going to have a Columbus Day sale but it seems nothing's happening. I'd like to get some more of their BN 45 AP records.

Yeah, I follow a Music Matters group on Facebook and got that sense about stock levels influencing the price. It seems a tad obscene such as Matador from Grant Green being $100. I'd love to get that but not for $100.

Lee Morgan- Indeed!

The one I'm not sure on is which Hank Mobley to get? Quartet w/ outtakes, Sextet, or Quintet.

All of those should put me over the threshold for free shipping. I was holding out to see if Acoustic Sounds was going to have a Columbus Day sale but it seems nothing's happening. I'd like to get some more of their BN 45 AP records.
The answer is to get every single Mobley album.

Lee Morgan- Indeed!

The Tina Brooks is fantastic. It's usually between that and Ike Quebec with Grant Green (Blue and Sentimental) as the first thing I play for anyone I'm trying to impress with my stereo :D.

Yeah, he's one of my favorites. I really want True Blue but that's another one that will have to wait a bit since I don't want to pay $75 for it. I'm really excited for The Waiting Game Tone Poet coming out soon.
Minor Move also is/was a Tone Poet title.

Yeah, he's one of my favorites. I really want True Blue but that's another one that will have to wait a bit since I don't want to pay $75 for it. I'm really excited for The Waiting Game Tone Poet coming out soon.
I scored a great deal on 45 version of True Blue on eBay. The description said there was a few pops on 1 track. I gave it a good clean and it plays great. Love this album.
Minor Move also is/was a Tone Poet title.
Also Waiting Game is coming this fall as a TP release. Minor Move is a wonderful album

Music Matters pricing is almost all based on stock levels. They've admitted as much.

The Introducing Johnny Griffin SRX title is still available because it got released like 3 months later as a BN80 title for half the cost. I like their gatefold jackets, but not $30 better.
Yes, its like going to the grocery store, and just when you hit the bakery section, they mark up the price of their remaining 5 loaves of bread to $75 each, because they are the last ones.

Yes, its like going to the grocery store, and just when you hit the bakery section, they mark up the price of their remaining 5 loaves of bread to $75 each, because they are the last ones.
Well, except for the fact that groceries are a bit more essential than luxury vinyl.

Got 3 TPs and 3 BN80s. Debating getting 6 of the upcoming Tone Poets (Blakey, Chambers, Bobby Hutcherson, Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd, and Tina Brooks) as preorders. Sadly, they don't have the 3 TPs that were just released: Jimmy Smith, Horace Silver, and Herbie Hancock.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on the following.

Sarah Vaughn (Acoustic Sounds reissue series)
Study in Brown (Acoustic Sounds reissue series)
Stanley Turrentine - That’s Where It’s At
Lee Konitz - Alone Together
Art Blakey - Meet Me.... Vol 1
Art Blakey - Meet Me.... Vol 2

for $111, that seems like a great deal to me

Make sure you place 2 separate orders of 3 if they aren’t all a similar price!

I went with three pre-orders:

Blakey - Roots & Herbs
Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game
Donald Byrd - Byrd in Flight

$58 shipped, including tax.

That Study in Brown looks like a good choice as well.

Back