The Blue Note Thread

i really regret not picking up Andrew Hill, Tina Brooks and the Willette while they were cheaper.

A lot of the older ones have been / are cheaper on amazon.co.uk & the blue note shop. I have been buying them quite soon after they come out, but with these new ones am going to try to hold back, they will probably be cheaper in 6 months time in Europe. I've overpaid a lot on the blue note TPs & BN 80s

Some come on cheap now and again on Dodax as well, but I have generally missed out on some of the outstanding deals some others have posted on here, the prices can change quite quickly.

@Speedracer - mean't to reply to your post

A lot of the older ones have been / are cheaper on amazon.co.uk & the blue note shop. I have been buying them quite soon after they come out, but with these new ones am going to try to hold back, they will probably be cheaper in 6 months time in Europe. I've overpaid a lot on the blue note TPs & BN 80s

Some come on cheap now and again on Dodax as well, but I have generally missed out on some of the outstanding deals some others have posted on here, the prices can change quite quickly.

@Speedracer - mean't to reply to your post
Damn I've been checking all the European amazon's, but never the UK cause I expected it to be too expensive with the pound to euro transaction. But just saw That's Where It's At for 26 and The Kicker for 30. Also saw that Charlie Parker Box Set for 45.

I've had a few glasses of wine this evening. So basically this is the worst tip you could have given me 😅

Thanks for getting back! I returned my copy and have placed another order but won’t receive it til next month probably! I think because others are saying they have a clean copy, I’ll also constantly try until I get a good copy because I love this album and the pressing sounds excellent!
Something to consider. I sometimes wonder why I have so few issues with new vinyl and some folks seem to have way too many.
Maybe it is due to some bad karma from past lives.

Maybe it comes down to cleaning.

I get pressings with loud pops and lots of noise. It is essential to preclean with Nitty Gritty FirstRV which is the best, best preclean solution. Homebrew wont do it. Non alcohol products wont do it. There is not only mold release, but also sometimes clumps of debris or the trim vinyl in there. FirstRV gets that.
It is a fussy product to work with, and after you have used it on a record, that record is not playable. It leaves a huge amount of static on the record. That is why it is called a precleaner.
Then use Nitty Gritty Pure2 on a vac machine to clean the record. Now it is playable, and usually quiet.
I have found that no other method really works, but doing this it is extraordinarily rare that I would have to send a record back, other than visible marks that nothing can fix.
Also, some plants do not de-horn their mothers cut from lacquers. RTI do not. As a result, it is sometimes necessary to play the record a few times, and the needle will essentially act to clean out those pops.

Got Bobby Hutcherson's The Kicker Tone Poet in yesterday and played it this morning. How do things like this not get released? It's great. I love that we're in a period where we are getting high quality releases of albums that never saw the light of day. I wish VMP would get Just Coolin out to me. I'm ready to give it a spin.

I just sold a bunch of VMP exclusives and am trying to build up a reserve to start getting some Music Matters 45s. It's probably best that I missed out on all the SRX records. The two that are available are ones I already have. I may hit up you guys to crowdsource which ones I should go with. I'm holding off for a bit to see if Acoustic Sounds has another sale where their Blue Note 45s are also on sale.

Amazon UK has pre orders listed (for January '21) on Speak No Evil and Song for My Father. Both around £20 (same price as BN80s), both look like official BN releases. Could be nothing, would be nice if they were continuing standard price vinyl reissues though.

Amazon UK has pre orders listed (for January '21) on Speak No Evil and Song for My Father. Both around £20 (same price as BN80s), both look like official BN releases. Could be nothing, would be nice if they were continuing standard price vinyl reissues though.

Nice find! I didn't think they were going to continue past 2020 with the BN80, maybe they have a new series on the way? I agree with you, £20 should be the standard price. I still can't believe I lucked out on Honest Jon's pricing Grant Green's 'Alive' (the BN80) at £12.

Strange, not much is coming up with the ASIN #s other than a couple of Euro Amazons. Looks like someone first spotted them back in August (SHF) so it would be surprising if Amazon.uk had them listed this long before BN made any announcement about some sort of new reissue series. But fingers crossed they are continuing the BN80 lower price for some big titles.

Amazon Japan always gives the EAN number of their items. Speak no Evil is 0602507440428 and Songs for my Father is 0602507440435. There are not a lot of information. One of the first results for Songs for my Father says it's a Tone Poet release but it was not announced. BN said BN80 was ending so maybe it's a new serie. TBH I'd rather pay a bit more to have these big titles having a treatment like Tone Poet records.

Can I ask a question on Music Matters 45rpm records? I know the pricing for the titles varies wildly. I realize part of that is based on the popularity of the title or artist. Why would some records be priced reasonably at $34.95 or $39.95? Is that because the quality is not as good, an overabundance of quantity on those titles, or some other reason? For instance, I love Johnny Griffin and one of the records I'm interested in is Congregation. It goes for $35 on their site. I notice other Johnny Griffin's are available and his albums don't seem to sell as well, such as his SRX titles still being available.

Can I ask a question on Music Matters 45rpm records? I know the pricing for the titles varies wildly. I realize part of that is based on the popularity of the title or artist. Why would some records be priced reasonably at $34.95 or $39.95? Is that because the quality is not as good, an overabundance of quantity on those titles, or some other reason? For instance, I love Johnny Griffin and one of the records I'm interested in is Congregation. It goes for $35 on their site. I notice other Johnny Griffin's are available and his albums don't seem to sell as well, such as his SRX titles still being available.
I think it's just the artist/titles, as odd as that may seem. No reason to think there's anything different about quality. Also, I think one of the factors at work here is that the titles that sell best are the titles that sell best! So for example, when potential buyers get hyped about the desirability of these records and go looking to buy them, it's the ones that are hard to come by and expensive that they are most likely to "want" given the apparent evidence of their desirability. At the same time, they, like you (and me) look at the availability of Johnny Griffin and wonder what must be wrong with that one? But I think the reality is that if you love Johnny Griffin, you're in luck!

Amazon Japan always gives the EAN number of their items. Speak no Evil is 0602507440428 and Songs for my Father is 0602507440435. There are not a lot of information. One of the first results for Songs for my Father says it's a Tone Poet release but it was not announced. BN said BN80 was ending so maybe it's a new serie. TBH I'd rather pay a bit more to have these big titles having a treatment like Tone Poet records.
Fingers crossed its Tone Poet quality and incorrectly priced at the moment. Have ordered both :cool:

Music Matters pricing is almost all based on stock levels. They've admitted as much.

The Introducing Johnny Griffin SRX title is still available because it got released like 3 months later as a BN80 title for half the cost. I like their gatefold jackets, but not $30 better.

Back