The Blue Note Thread

Was out running an errand and treated myself to a record store outing. Picked up The Cooker by Lee Morgan and Nigeria by Grant Green. Grant Green might be my favorite Blue Note artist. I can't think of a single record by him that I've gotten that I didn't instantly love.
The Cooker ... cooks man. Enjoy both.

Was out running an errand and treated myself to a record store outing. Picked up The Cooker by Lee Morgan and Nigeria by Grant Green. Grant Green might be my favorite Blue Note artist. I can't think of a single record by him that I've gotten that I didn't instantly love.
Grant Green got me into jazz. Hearing him for the first time absolutely blew my mind. Still haven’t gotten Nigeria, but the Funk in France and Slick! Live at Oil Can Harry’s are two of my favorite records.

Grant Green got me into jazz. Hearing him for the first time absolutely blew my mind. Still haven’t gotten Nigeria, but the Funk in France and Slick! Live at Oil Can Harry’s are two of my favorite records.
I trust you've heard Ike Quebec's Blue and Sentimental? Great album and Grant Green in superb. The 45RPM version is very nice (My mistake--the pressing I have is 33 1/3, 2015 Music Matters Jazz reissue.) In fact, it probably is the most impressive sounding record I have for my stereo system, and there are a whole hell of a lot of albums to choose from.

Last edited:
@Mather - I received my Tone Poet Joe Henderson Vol. 1 and the second track on side 1 has those loud ticking pop noises! Gave it a good clean and it’s still there, so I got one of those faulty copies!

Have you received your second copy yet? If so, is it a clean copy?

@Mather - I received my Tone Poet Joe Henderson Vol. 1 and the second track on side 1 has those loud ticking pop noises! Gave it a good clean and it’s still there, so I got one of those faulty copies!

I’ve purchased another copy on Amazon AU and will just return my first copy and say it was faulty, as it’s a hassle returning products to the Amazon US!

Hoping that my second copy is alright! I don’t want to try a third time as I feel like Amazon will get suspicious if I purchase another copy and return it!

I’ve purchased another copy on Amazon AU and will just return my first copy and say it was faulty, as it’s a hassle returning products to the Amazon US!

Hoping that my second copy is alright! I don’t want to try a third time as I feel like Amazon will get suspicious if I purchase another copy and return it!

I like the idea, I've not thought of that before

I like the idea, I've not thought of that before
I just actually made a return label to send back to the U.S.! There was a copy on sale on Amazon AU for only AUD$44, and that’s a great price, so I pre-ordered that! Fingers crossed it’s a good copy because I love what I heard on Side 2 and the first song on Side 1 was amazing! Actually one of my favourite Tone Poet releases just from what I’ve heard! 👌

I have recieved a second one but I haven't actually listened to it yet. I'll do that today and let you know though.

I trust you've heard Ike Quebec's Blue and Sentimental? Great album and Grant Green in superb. The 45RPM version is very nice (My mistake--the pressing I have is 33 1/3, 2015 Music Matters Jazz reissue.) In fact, it probably is the most impressive sounding record I have for my stereo system, and there are a whole hell of a lot of albums to choose from.
That Ike is stellar! I highly recommend Grant Green - Idle Moments - his magnum opus.

And yep, this copy also has the pops although so far it's just one loud snap during the quiet bass solo at the beginning. First copy had two I think. But yeah same problem. And again this copy has light pops all over it, unlike pretty much every other Tone Poet I've gotten up till this point. So yeah, not a home run in my books like most of their previous ones.

I might give it one more shot since I know others here say there's are clean...

Last edited:
And yep, this copy also has the pops although so far it's just one loud snap during the quiet bass solo at the beginning. First copy had two I think. But yeah same problem. And again this copy has light pops all over it, unlike pretty much every other Tone Poet I've gotten up till this point. So yeah, not a home run in my books like most of their previous ones.

I might give it one more shot since I know others here say there's are clean...
Thanks for getting back! I returned my copy and have placed another order but won’t receive it til next month probably! I think because others are saying they have a clean copy, I’ll also constantly try until I get a good copy because I love this album and the pressing sounds excellent!

Wow, I was just reading this article about the Tone Poet series, and paragraph 7 hints at Music Matters coming to an end:

Do we know if this is a thing? Am I reading it wrong? Could this be the reason why MM repressed the most popular titles and sold them at a ridiculous price?

I mean it says it pretty simply.

”The roots of the Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series lie in the Music Matters Jazz series, which Harley and his colleague, Ron Rambach, launched in 2007 and brought to a close in 2020”

but the fact that no one is hearing it anywhere else makes it suspect.

I think they're gonna repress some titles they still have remaining license on (like some of the 2019 SRX titles besides Blue Train)....and at the beginning of the year when they announced the 2020 SRX titles, they said they had plans for a second major push in the 2nd half of 2020 (which it's safe to assume got pushed back to 2021 at least due to COVID) so I don't think they're closing shop yet, I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

I am not so sure. If their contract is ending by the end of 2020, then they won't be allowed to reissue more BN titles (depending on the contract between their companies or if they can find an arrangement).

I am not so sure. If their contract is ending by the end of 2020, then they won't be allowed to reissue more BN titles (depending on the contract between their companies or if they can find an arrangement).

I think the takeaway is not to read too much into that sentence from that article considering what the MMJ people have been talking about recently (repressing old SRXs in the future)

Some of the most recent Tone Poet releases/pre-orders (Silver, Smith, Blakey, Hutcherson, and Pearson) are available on Amazon at discounted prices ($26-29)
The Cooker has either been out of stock or way pricier with them for a while. Glad to finally be able to pick that one up. Coincidentally, I started the Lee Morgan doc on Netflix last night.

Some of the most recent Tone Poet releases/pre-orders (Silver, Smith, Blakey, Hutcherson, and Pearson) are available on Amazon at discounted prices ($26-29)

I really wish we could get them for that price here in Europe. They don't seem to pop up for less than €32 any more. I would have a couple more otherwise.

Back