The Blue Note Thread

I ended up taking your advice on the 1977 King press of Moanin' when one popped up on ebay a few weeks ago, haha. Mine was like $50 shipped, but it was rated as a VG+ cover and a NM- record, so it seemed like a better deal than what's available on discogs. I just finished spinning it for the first time, and I'm very happy with it! thanks for the tip!
Woo!!! Happy you’re enjoying the spin, I don’t see myself needin another copy of Moanin unless AP decides to repress it at the $50 price point or if it ever gets the Tone Poet treatment!

I ended up taking your advice on the 1977 King press of Moanin' when one popped up on ebay a few weeks ago, haha. Mine was like $50 shipped, but it was rated as a VG+ cover and a NM- record, so it seemed like a better deal than what's available on discogs. I just finished spinning it for the first time, and I'm very happy with it! thanks for the tip!
I've got that version too and it works fine for me. I picked up around a dozen King pressings of the classic blue note albums at the start of the year, I found them great value for money and mostly still near mint and with obis (y)

STANLEY TURRENTINE - THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT is 21,99€ on Dodax.de & .at

Thanks a lot! Just bought it!

After scoring the BN80 live recordings of Art Blakey and Horace Silver for 10€ each on Amazon, I basically check daily for similar discounts on Amazon for my missing BN80 and TPs, and sometimes Dodax/Ebay/Discogs as well. Thanks to Corona related paycuts I had to limit myself to a maximum of 2-3 records per month with a cost of less than 30€ each... and now I can add this TP to my tiny collection, that really made my day!

Has there ever been an explanation as to why the new Tone Poet of Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker has the last track missing? On the CD release (and even in Cuscuna's liner notes on the LP) it shows as being 6 tracks, but the opening track 'If Ever I Would Leave You' was not included on the TP.

I am assuming its to do with the length ('If Ever I Would Leave You' alone is around 10mins long), but if that is the case then I would have thought they would have edited the liner notes to mention it. Or at least remove Cuscuna's mention of '6-tracks'.

Has there ever been an explanation as to why the new Tone Poet of Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker has the last track missing? On the CD release (and even in Cuscuna's liner notes on the LP) it shows as being 6 tracks, but the opening track 'If Ever I Would Leave You' was not included on the TP.

I am assuming its to do with the length ('If Ever I Would Leave You' alone is around 10mins long), but if that is the case then I would have thought they would have edited the liner notes to mention it. Or at least remove Cuscuna's mention of '6-tracks'.
I notice that as well. Surprised they did not catch it when putting the liner notes together. I think when I looked at the original CD its time was about 52min but I could be wrong.

PXL_20200915_150731720.jpg

So I ended up buying the image on metal of Eric Dolphy from Mosaic. It was $250 shipped, came packaged very well. I think it looks pretty nice. Very glossy, though the metal is pretty thin. It had a square piece on the back for hanging, so it comes "finished" and wall ready. Sits off the wall by about a half inch or so.

I'm happy with it, but I doubt I'd buy another one at this price, and definitely not at $300+. The regular prints look just as good and arguably better in a solid frame. Overall pleased with this, and if the metals ever go on sale for maybe ~200 shipped, I'd consider getting another one.

View attachment 66289

So I ended up buying the image on metal of Eric Dolphy from Mosaic. It was $250 shipped, came packaged very well. I think it looks pretty nice. Very glossy, though the metal is pretty thin. It had a square piece on the back for hanging, so it comes "finished" and wall ready. Sits off the wall by about a half inch or so.

I'm happy with it, but I doubt I'd buy another one at this price, and definitely not at $300+. The regular prints look just as good and arguably better in a solid frame. Overall pleased with this, and if the metals ever go on sale for maybe ~200 shipped, I'd consider getting another one.
Looks nice. Thanks for the review!

Purely due to length. 53 minutes on vinyl is pushing it too far.

That was the only standard on the session so I guess was the odd man out.

Wow, I was just reading this article about the Tone Poet series, and paragraph 7 hints at Music Matters coming to an end:

Do we know if this is a thing? Am I reading it wrong? Could this be the reason why MM repressed the most popular titles and sold them at a ridiculous price?

MM has been winding down for several years. Basically, the first set of 33's was the end. He came back with the SRX concurrent with the TP launch to keep MM visible so he could clear out his back stock, otherwise, without a new hook, he would not have been able to maintain his pricing, as TP set a new top price point.

he will keep trying to flip his deadstock, but really MM has not licensed any new titles in several years

Wow, I was just reading this article about the Tone Poet series, and paragraph 7 hints at Music Matters coming to an end:

Do we know if this is a thing? Am I reading it wrong? Could this be the reason why MM repressed the most popular titles and sold them at a ridiculous price?
Thanks for sharing this, its the first time I have seen that Tone Poet video embedded in the article and its fantastic! Love these behind the scenes videos. If anyone knows of any more like this please let me know!

I think they're gonna repress some titles they still have remaining license on (like some of the 2019 SRX titles besides Blue Train)....and at the beginning of the year when they announced the 2020 SRX titles, they said they had plans for a second major push in the 2nd half of 2020 (which it's safe to assume got pushed back to 2021 at least due to COVID) so I don't think they're closing shop yet, I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

Was out running an errand and treated myself to a record store outing. Picked up The Cooker by Lee Morgan and Nigeria by Grant Green. Grant Green might be my favorite Blue Note artist. I can't think of a single record by him that I've gotten that I didn't instantly love.

Was out running an errand and treated myself to a record store outing. Picked up The Cooker by Lee Morgan and Nigeria by Grant Green. Grant Green might be my favorite Blue Note artist. I can't think of a single record by him that I've gotten that I didn't instantly love.
Nigeria is my favorite Tone Poet, that album just swings on another level. The stank face is strong the entire listen.

Back