The Blue Note Thread

Anyone know anything about the BN80 series ending? I just saw the Blue Note newsletter mentioned that this last batch was the finale or whatever. I hope BN80 isn't ending, or they replace it with something similar. I honestly think BN80 was as good as Tone Poets or better, since they're less expensive and really sound just as good. If they put out classic Blue Notes in the BN80 style, I think they'd sell SO many copies. Shame they reissued a ton of those during their 75 run.
Yeah the series is ending but I have to imagine that they have something new lined up in the same vein as the BN80 series. They’ll just call it something different. I think they are just focusing on the Tone Poets right now but I expect something new will be coming up here in the next year or so.

Yeah the series is ending but I have to imagine that they have something new lined up in the same vein as the BN80 series. They’ll just call it something different. I think they are just focusing on the Tone Poets right now but I expect something new will be coming up here in the next year or so.

Hopefully! Some of the BN80 titles are really fantastic. Just sat down and listened to Glasper's Canvas again and really loved it.

And that last BN80 drop is fantastic. Particularly that Larry Young album. If anyone's unsure about it, the most recent three releases might be the best releases of the whole series and they sure as hell beat out most of the Tone Poets sessions.

Tempted to bite on Night Dreamer, but one of the sides is only 6 minutes long! I may officially be too lazy.
Inner Urge is tempting for me too...but I do remember sometimes that I hardly play the 45s because of what you mentioned...I really wish they restocked some 33 titles...

Inner Urge is tempting for me too...but I do remember sometimes that I hardly play the 45s because of what you mentioned...I really wish they restocked some 33 titles...

I know! There have been so many good Blue Note releases with Tone Poets and BN80 not to mention the SRX releases (I got every single one except Speak No Evil 😡) that I think I'll just enjoy what I have for a while in hopes of getting those on 33.

Music Matters added some copies of 45RPM Night Dreamer and Indestructible for anyone who was looking for those. Didn't realize they still have Inner Urge on 45RPM as well.
Didn’t realize all of those early Lee Morgan sessions are still around too. I could easily drop $200 but I’m going to pass for the time being.

Anyone know anything about the BN80 series ending? I just saw the Blue Note newsletter mentioned that this last batch was the finale or whatever. I hope BN80 isn't ending, or they replace it with something similar. I honestly think BN80 was as good as Tone Poets or better, since they're less expensive and really sound just as good. If they put out classic Blue Notes in the BN80 style, I think they'd sell SO many copies. Shame they reissued a ton of those during their 75 run.
I hope they continue the BN80 series also, or something equivalent to it at least. I’ve purchased several of the BN80 and Tone Poet pressings, and I have to admit I’ve enjoyed the BN80 titles more on average.

So many great releases. I recently started collecting so these Blue Note reissues have been a great resource to start building up my jazz collection.

In don't know if Blue Note currently owns the rights to this record, but if they intend to highlight lesser known sessions with the Tone Poet series, they should definitely reissue Pedro Iturralde's Jazz Flamenco. The album was originally released by Hispavox, but Blue Note compiled Volumes 1 and 2 in a 1996 release. This is an outstanding recording by the Spanish saxophonist backed by an American band,, plus Paco de Lucía. Picture Coltrane's Olé, but played by actual spaniards, oscilating between modal explorations and traditional flamenco runs. It is a highly underrated record IMO, and one that deserves a quality reissue.

Just got my AP 45RPM press of Somethin Else and I’m absolutely floored. This is my best sounding record by far some how, the horns clarity makes your skin crawl and each stroke on the piano feels like a little raindrop on my brain in the best possible way. If you missed out on the MMJ drop or simply would like to give your money to a better company I HIGHLY recommend jumping on this press while it’s still in stock. AP already has it listed as “Limited Stock”.

On another note does anyone know if AP will send out a replacement jacket if asked? The spine on the cover has the beginnings of a seam split on it which is a bummer. Also @MikeH your Art Farmer/Jim Hall PIF got here safe and sound going to spin it right after Cannonball 🔥

Just got my AP 45RPM press of Somethin Else and I’m absolutely floored. This is my best sounding record by far some how, the horns clarity makes your skin crawl and each stroke on the piano feels like a little raindrop on my brain in the best possible way. If you missed out on the MMJ drop or simply would like to give your money to a better company I HIGHLY recommend jumping on this press while it’s still in stock. AP already has it listed as “Limited Stock”.

On another note does anyone know if AP will send out a replacement jacket if asked? The spine on the cover has the beginnings of a seam split on it which is a bummer. Also @MikeH your Art Farmer/Jim Hall PIF got here safe and sound going to spin it right after Cannonball 🔥
Yea--I got that copy of Somethin Else and it's amazing. I picked up Midnight Blue from the same series which is why I didn't feel the need to drop more on the SRX for that one. I have had pretty good and quick responses from Acoustic Sounds so wouldn't hesitate to reach out to them.

Glad the PIF got there safely!

Stalking Joe Harley's Instagram for future Tone Poet release clues again...

Joe Pass - For Django
View attachment 55003

Unspecified Wayne Shorter
View attachment 55008

What could it be? Without a Net would be cool...
View attachment 55007
Yea--we knew about For Django already. Excited for that one even though I have an OG pressing. More people need to know about that record. Not sure which Shorter though! That's exciting news! Maybe The Soothsayer?

Yea--we knew about For Django already. Excited for that one even though I have an OG pressing. More people need to know about that record. Not sure which Shorter though! That's exciting news! Maybe The Soothsayer?
I gotta go back to keeping up with the Hoffman forums. I'm losing track of what's known already and they are better sleuths than me, for sure.

I gotta go back to keeping up with the Hoffman forums. I'm losing track of what's known already and they are better sleuths than me, for sure.
Hard to keep up for sure hah. I got excited the other week when I saw announcement dates for new albums and then only realized later they had all been announced 6+ months ago hah.

These are 4 that have been announced so far that I have seen from Joe:
  • Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
  • Andrew Hill - Passing Ships
  • Joe Pass - Django
  • Sonny Clark - My Conception

Hard to keep up for sure hah. I got excited the other week when I saw announcement dates for new albums and then only realized later they had all been announced 6+ months ago hah.

These are 4 that have been announced so far that I have seen from Joe:
  • Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
  • Andrew Hill - Passing Ships
  • Joe Pass - Django
  • Sonny Clark - My Conception
Where did he confirm these? Hoffman, or that FB Blue Note group?

Catching up on thr Hoffman Tone Poet thread, I see someone claims Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor is coming. A real classic. I'll probably have to double dip on that one. One Flight Up is probably my favorite Gordon album, too. Another double dip.

Last edited:
Where did he confirm these? Hoffman, or that FB Blue Note group?

Catching up on thr Hoffman Tone Poet thread, I see someone claims Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor is coming. A real classic. I'll probably have to double dip on that one. One Flight Up is probably my favorite Gordon album, too. Another double dip.
I would so like the Shorter to be All Seeing Eye....

Back