The Blue Note Thread

If anyone has some recommendations for some records of his, that would be awesome! Never checked him out really.
I'll let others chime in, but give this one a shot if you haven't. Lee, Bead Mehldau and Charlie Haden complement each other really well. It was one of my biggest surprises out of the BN80 series.

If anyone has some recommendations for some records of his, that would be awesome! Never checked him out really.

I really enjoy the Alone Together album from the BN80 series @agutierrezb recommended.

I believe Lee Konitz' Motion is considered his best album. After a full day of trying to track down delinquent virtual students, I am enjoying streaming it right now while I sip a glass of Port, so there's that. Doesn't look to have a recent, readily available, vinyl reissue though.

Anyone aware when the MM Somethin Else is going up for sale? Been putting money away for it!

Yeah, I just got my tax return, so I'd like to know too. I haven't seen them post anything on FB or in the Hoffman Forums about the April titles, but last month was the weekend of March 21/22, so one would think soon...Assuming they got pressed before RTI shut down.

Anyone aware when the MM Somethin Else is going up for sale? Been putting money away for it!
I'd also love to get both MMJ SRX of April, but with the current situation I'm sure the package gets lost during shipping to Europe, or shipping does not work at all at the moment.

About 40 days ago I ordered an OG of Blue Mitchell in the U.S., first the package was stuck in L.A. for about a month, now it is in Australia, literally the other side of the world when looking at the supposed destination...Austria. But hey, many Americans have problems with the difference of Australia and Austria.... 😁😂

The mailman was just here... and he made me really really happy...

3x BN80 (Dexter Gordon, Jackie McLean and Lee Morgan) arrived from Jazz Messengers, Barcelona. I'm really amazed, shipping was super fast considering the current COVID situation. Thanks @Skalap for this recommendation

and an OG Stereo pressing of Donald Byrd's Mustang

IMG_20200422_135118.jpg

Last edited:
I do almost all of my BN reissue orders through Amazon.ca. It looks like they have opened up the deliveries a bit. I got Dexter on Friday and Herbie Hancock's Prisoner arrived yesterday. Still waiting on about 8 titles that according to Amazon will ship over the next couple of weeks.

Anyone here has the TP reissue of The Prisoner or Money Jungle yet? I've been eyeing those for a while, but current prices on Amazon Mexico are through the roof. I'll wait a couple of months in hope for a dip in price, but I would love to hear others' opinion on them. Im particularly interested in Money Jungle, since Joe Harley said this would be the first time the master tapes would be used for a vinyl release, or something along those lines.

My copy of The Prisoner arrived the other day but I am still waiting on Money Jungle. I have not had a chance to spin The Prisoner but I have not been disappointed in any of my TP purchases and I have picked up 10 so far.

The Amazon.ca prices have been crazy on the Blue Note reissues. I pre-ordered Money Jungle for just under 32CDN and it is now 52.

Anyone here has the TP reissue of The Prisoner or Money Jungle yet? I've been eyeing those for a while, but current prices on Amazon Mexico are through the roof. I'll wait a couple of months in hope for a dip in price, but I would love to hear others' opinion on them. Im particularly interested in Money Jungle, since Joe Harley said this would be the first time the master tapes would be used for a vinyl release, or something along those lines.

I pre-ordered Money Jungle (it's release was delayed until today), but I already received The Prisoner 3 weeks ago. The Prisoner is really nice. A very good, but transitional set of music for Herbie. Mastering and Pressing are great. It's not a gatefold like most Tone Poet's, but it's a very nice single pocket Stoughton Tip-on.

Amazon.ca prices have gone through the roof as well it appears.

The records are apparently pressed but they're having issues getting mailers and shipping ready so they're delayed. No firm date yet. They titles for May will be delayed indefinitely.

Just got this email from Blue Note:

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 11.43.40 PM.png

Just got this email from Blue Note:

View attachment 43044

Oh man, I hope this doesn't happen to me too.... After seeing posts on Facebook that people have received their April Tone Poets, I checked the Blue Note UK store, and Morgan's Cooker and Money Jungle were both in Stock, and still are according to their webpage. So I placed an order for both yesterday night being a bit drunk too 🍻🍸

Jazz addiction, alcohol, COVID quarantine, a Laptop with Internet access and a credit card together - the bad ending of that is inevitable...

I've picked up all the tone poets to date, hate to think what my back account would look like if MMJ were as accessible!

Seriously though I think the Tone Poets are just fantastic, especially for their price point. I really look forward to getting Money Jungle, its one that I wasn't that familiar with but have listened to a lot since it was announced. The Lonnie Smith will be a great one as well, the cover art alone is just stunning. Im actually going to pass on The Cooker as I have a decent mono first press, but if someone could post pics of the session photos they use (assuming theres some in the gatefold) that would be fantastic.

Back