The Blue Note Thread

This might be of interest to you guys, especially if you don't have an Instagram account. A regular jazz poster, Spencers_Spins, posted a 'challenge' the other day whereby he chose 5 of his favourite records from the Blue Note 1500 series. He is also going to be doing the same for the 4000, 4100 & 4200 series as well and several other people have posted their favourites. I plan on doing the same over the next few weeks and to start I posted my top 5 from the 1500 today:

This might be of interest to you guys, especially if you don't have an Instagram account. A regular jazz poster, Spencers_Spins, posted a 'challenge' the other day whereby he chose 5 of his favourite records from the Blue Note 1500 series. He is also going to be doing the same for the 4000, 4100 & 4200 series as well and several other people have posted their favourites. I plan on doing the same over the next few weeks and to start I posted my top 5 from the 1500 today:

This idea is very interesting from my perspective, to pick 'favorites', but I am likely the most illiterate jazz fan when it comes to understanding the "series" groupings. I'm sure there is some sort of logic, but it's like a foreign language to me. One day I'll have to spend the afternoon to figure it out. Until then, everything fits into 50s, 60s 70s BNs. :D

This idea is very interesting from my perspective, to pick 'favorites', but I am likely the most illiterate jazz fan when it comes to understanding the "series" groupings. I'm sure there is some sort of logic, but it's like a foreign language to me. One day I'll have to spend the afternoon to figure it out. Until then, everything fits into 50s, 60s 70s BNs. :D
Honestly, I just use this wikipedia article which breaks them down into groupings. I actually started arranging by BN number when I first started to get a considerable number, but it just makes tracking down individual records a nightmare.

Blue Note Records discography - Wikipedia

Tomorrow the next bunch of BN80s is released, at least in the U.S. and the UK, and I want all 3 of them. But why not in the rest of the world????? I have to wait until 29. of May to get them here in Austria :cry:. The same goes for the next TPs, which are to be released on 24. of April, and 29. of May here in Austria.

Does anybody know the real reason for that?

I'd order it from the Blue Note UK store, but I heard from a friend in the UK that shipping between Austria/Germany and the UK is suspended for now...
So, second question... Do any of you guys know an online store which can get those records to me in Austria within the next few days?

I want those records.....NOW

Tomorrow the next bunch of BN80s is released, at least in the U.S. and the UK, and I want all 3 of them. But why not in the rest of the world????? I have to wait until 29. of May to get them here in Austria :cry:. The same goes for the next TPs, which are to be released on 24. of April, and 29. of May here in Austria.

I'd order it from the Blue Note UK store, but I heard from a friend in the UK that shipping between Austria/Germany and the UK is suspended for now...
So, second question... Do any of you guys know an online store which can get those records to me in Austria within the next few days?

Did you tried Black Monk in Vienna? You can also check with Jazz Messengers in Spain, it took two days to have my package shipped from Barcelona to Paris using TNT express (free shipping above 120 or 130€)

Last edited:

I live in California and am now going on three weeks with no order update from the Blue Note store on 4 records! Unfortunately I don’t think anyone is getting those new BN80’s anytime soon.

I emailed in the other day. Received a response saying there has been a delay in receiving inventory. No timeline.
Aghh, good to know! Happy my VMP records are already on their way, I’ll at least get some records this month 🙏🏻

Did you tried Black Monk in Vienna? You can also check with Jazz Messengers in Spain, it took two days to have my package shipped from Barcelona to Paris using TNT express (free shipping above 120 or 130€)
I received a shipment from Black Monk last week, very recommendable. I will contact them tomorrow. But I think shipping from Spain to the rest of Europe/World is difficult right now, a few days ago I read on a spanish Discogs seller that he stopped shipping internationally because of restrictions in Spain. But I'll try that too. Thanks...

I live in California and am now going on three weeks with no order update from the Blue Note store on 4 records! Unfortunately I don’t think anyone is getting those new BN80’s anytime soon.
I've seen a Facebook publication from Blue Note Records directly a few hours ago about releasing those new BN80s tomorrow, that's why I posted and asked here. But we'll see tomorrow if there's any of those in stock on the official Blue Note store...

Last edited:
They are available at Jazz Messengers, and shipping to Austria works, so I just placed an order. Thanks a lot again!

I've been listening to Jutta Hipp's live album "At the Hickory House" and holy smokes is it ever enjoyable. After the "...with Zoot Sims" reissue I've got my fingers crossed that this will get reissued as well. Anybody heard anything along those lines?

This is a coincidence, im currently spinning At The Hickory House right now. Just posted it over on the Whats Spinning thread.

Back