The Blue Note Thread

Can you guys tell me why Marcus Miller doesn't get a lot of love on here?

My neighbour lent me his recent album "Laid Back" which is on Blue Note and I hadn't heard of him before but doing a search on here after listening to it didn't yield any results.

That album is really cool and sounds awesome cut at 45rpm. Really high quality mastering

Is Tolliver a trumpeter? Because when I was listening to this before looking at the personnel I thought it was Hubbard. It may have just been Hancock‘s comping that reminded me of all those classic BN freebop albums.
Yeah, Tolliver is a killer trumpeter too. His work as a leader is excellent, mostly released under Strata-East

Yeah, Tolliver is a killer trumpeter too. His work as a leader is excellent, mostly released under Strata-East

It’s strange how McLean was so Avant Guard, but doesn’t get recognized at one of the major players in that time. I’d be into getting a copy of Destination out with Hutcherson or Let Freedom Ring w/ Ornette.

I am half joking but they posted some bullring point about how you should prepare to buy their records because they sell out so quickly. I said don’t drive up the price artificially with the scarcity. I’m quietly plotting my next move

how much did they cost in the old days?
Ah...the old FOMO tactic...At one point they were $35 I believe hah. To be somewhat fair, they likely only have the licensing to print a certain amount of albums, but their price gouging and crazy shipping costs have made me refuse to buy anything from them anymore.

A lot of people do complain about the records going out of stock really quickly but at this point, there are a lot of flippers buying them. I don't really know the way to get around that though outside of having a limit which they do I believe.

Ah...the old FOMO tactic...At one point they were $35 I believe hah. To be somewhat fair, they likely only have the licensing to print a certain amount of albums, but their price gouging and crazy shipping costs

yea they are like 60 some $ now right? And shipping too. I doubt their licensing agreement is limited to a certain amount. In the post they said they should have pressed more of the recent editions. Who would have though people would have wanted Somethin’ Else? :unsure:

yea they are like 60 some $ now right? And shipping too. I doubt their licensing agreement is limited to a certain amount. In the post they said they should have pressed more of the recent editions. Who would have though people would have wanted Somethin’ Else? :unsure:
The prices are all over the place now. The closer they get to sold out, the more expensive they are. I forget which I was looking at the other day, but an MMJ Herbie album was $99. Others are $40 or so to try to get rid of stock. I think $60 is the starting price for non-SRX. It's fine if prices rise due to costs rising. I have no doubt they did. But the albums are printed already and they raise the prices if they get close to sold out and they have stated it's because they essentially want the money that flippers are getting for them.

All their titles are licensed through BN. They are not technically owned by BN. I believe they do have limits on what they can press. The SRX are extremely popular now though so wouldn't be surprised if they change their licensing amount or just didn't press them all first to see how they would sell at that price point.

The prices are all over the place now. The closer they get to sold out, the more expensive they are. I forget which I was looking at the other day, but an MMJ Herbie album was $99. Others are $40 or so to try to get rid of stock. I think $60 is the starting price for non-SRX. It's fine if prices rise due to costs rising. I have no doubt they did. But the albums are printed already and they raise the prices if they get close to sold out and they have stated it's because they essentially want the money that flippers are getting for them.

All their titles are licensed through BN. They are not technically owned by BN. I believe they do have limits on what they can press. The SRX are extremely popular now though so wouldn't be surprised if they change their licensing amount or just didn't press them all first to see how they would sell at that price point.

they are claiming the MoFi 2 Llp 45 (125$) boxed sets as a comparison.

Can you guys tell me why Marcus Miller doesn't get a lot of love on here?

My neighbour lent me his recent album "Laid Back" which is on Blue Note and I hadn't heard of him before but doing a search on here after listening to it didn't yield any results.

That album is really cool and sounds awesome cut at 45rpm. Really high quality mastering

Ah Marcus is great - he used to play with Miles in the later years as well. I think of it as a bit of a seal of approval is someone played with Miles haha, whether right or wrong. He's got a few killer songs which I dig a lot - Frankenstein is a classic which always gets my head bobbing and shoulders dancing.

Silver Rain, 2005 is a great album I'd suggest to any1 interested in getting into Marcus :) He's also amazing live - I saw him once in Montreux and the place was absolutely on fire! He can really get the crowd going with his killer sound :)

Music Matters is a clusterfuck
Its crazy how much worse it gets for each SRX release. Blue Train was peaceful as hell to snag, and even Search For the New Land/Soul Station were pretty painless. The last 2 months have been an absolute shit show. They really need to hire someone to help them straighten this out if they are going to keep up the hype/FOMO model with these.

I had carted then Lee Morgan and literally couldn’t checkout because it kept saying it updated my shipping cost
It looks like a ton of people checked out with multiple copies, if you keep trying I bet you can wiggle your order through. I eventually got Somethin Else to confirm.

Back